BILL PAXTON, dead at 61, "complications from surgery"

Wojo

I was a fan of HBO's Big Love but probably the only one in Belgium because they stopped selling the series over here. Sorry to hear he's dead.

big-love48.jpg

biglove05a.jpg

Bill Paxton as Bill Henrickson and his three wives.

R.I.P.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

A fantastic character actor. If TGP reads this he will agree that his stint on the first season of Agents Of Shield really made the show better.

He seemed to have a lot of fun with that role.  Always so likable, even as a villain.  What a huge loss. 

So sad. Guess we can pretty much count him out of everything from now on.

I know the "In Memoriam" is obviously pre-recorded, but I wonder if they could put something in there...Hollywood has some skill at last minute editing. Or is it just for people who died in the previous calendar year?

1 hour ago, king mark said:

I wonder if they have time to add him to the "in memoriam" segment of the Oscars tonight

Highly doubt it. Video segments are likely delivered far enough in advance that they can run through the whole show with them days in advance (this is just my guess). I'd imagine they would only change something like that this close to broadcast if they actually had to (like, legal reasons). However, as Nick1066 suggests, Hollywood is made of people very quick at making changes - perhaps if AMPAS really wants to show how 'cutting edge' they are, this would be a good way to demonstrate it.

Although I'd be curious to see what they'd do if for example, a major Hollywood legend died on the day of the ceremony (I'm talking maybe De Niro's stature here).

By all accounts he was a great guy.  I loved him in everything I saw him in.  I don't know what it was about him that made him such a standout but he had a sort of every man ineptitude that was lovable.  I remember seeing this in the theater and loving the character:

He excelled at stupid tough guys and was lovable at it. RIP.  Damn you 2017! :( 

He was recently great in Edge of Tomorrow and Nightcrawler

Apparently he's playing the Denzel Washington role in the Training Day tv show that just started 3 weeks ago.  CBS said he filmed all 13 episodes commissioned before he passed.

I haven't seen True Lies in over 20 years because I've been waiting for an HD version to FINALLY come out but man am I looking forward to revisiting it, I remember loving that movie and especially him in it

Three years. I've thought of nothing except Titanic. But I never got it. I never let it in.

I don't want to make light of this loss, which is devastating. That being said, for the past couple years, there have been some extremely freaky film score/soundtrack-related deaths that occurred at times where I listen to or watch something related to that person in excess right before they go. For instance, right before Leonard Nimoy died, I was binging Star Trek like I never have before or since. Not just the shows and movies, but the scores, especially the FSM releases of Horner's. Then, Horner passed! Right before Prince died, I was listening to the Batman OST like crazy. Now, I've been obsessively listening to the Twister score ever since it was released and I just watched Tombstone, where he actually dies.

Needless to say, I'm going easy on John Williams, Titanic and the Danny Elfman Batman scores.