Andrew Powell back to scoring? Sci-fi Promo

red9

Hi, very interesting: teaser for the promo of a new audiovisual system called “Split Vision” with original music by APP member Andrew Powell…wow!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBKDb6K8JW8

Anyone knows more?

Found also this:

https://www.facebook.com/SplitVisionProject/

www.split-vision.net

Red

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Either Thor or Alex will roll their eyes at you for this.

Not just Thor, or Alex. I've been a fan of APP since 1976.

Frankly, if you've heard SILENCE AND I, then you've heard the score for LADYHAWKE. Powell's a great arranger, though, and I'd be interested to hear  what he might come up with. Until then, I'm happy to be "two of a kind".

Yes, I'm an APP completist (still need to see them/him live, though -- they never tour in Scandinavia), and Powell has been a crucial component of their sound. LADYHAWKE is one of my alltime favourite scores. Definitely in the top 40-50. It's a shame he never did more scores beyond a handful. I was alerted to the project of this thread in another forum, and although I'm a bit bewildered by the trailers, I dig the LADYHAWKE riffs in the middle, and then the funky groove towards the end. Looking forward to hear the whole thing!

I will always love Andrew Powell for his 'rearrangement' (although uncredited) of Debussy's "La Chute de la Maison Usher". To this very day, it's still one of my favorite orchestral pieces ever recorded.

Then he made Ladyhawke ... :eh:. While I certainly can appreciate a different sound, I never felt that pop drums and the Middle Ages was a successful  combination.

Alex

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I never felt that pop drums and the Middle Ages was a successful  combination.

Alex

Who would have thought that Paris Olympics, 1924, and electronica was a successful combination, but then along came CHARIOTS OF FIRE...

His stuff on TOM+I is great, though, and don't forget his early work with Kate Bush.

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Yes, I'm an APP completist (still need to see them/him live, though -- they never tour in Scandinavia), and Powell has been a crucial component of their sound. LADYHAWKE is one of my alltime favourite scores. Definitely in the top 40-50. It's a shame he never did more scores beyond a handful. I was alerted to the project of this thread in another forum, and although I'm a bit bewildered by the trailers, I dig the LADYHAWKE riffs in the middle, and then the funky groove towards the end. Looking forward to hear the whole thing!

Thor, do you have the new live Alan Parsons CD/DVD? Have you also got the 40th Anniversary TOM+I box? What do you think of THE SICILLIAN DEFENCE?

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Who would have thought that Paris Olympics, 1924, and electronica was a successful combination, but then along came CHARIOTS OF FIRE...

Oh, but I never had a problem with that. In fact, I think nobody does. 

28 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thor, do you have the new live Alan Parsons CD/DVD? Have you also got the 40th Anniversary TOM+I box? What do you think of THE SICILLIAN DEFENCE?

I've ordered the Colombia BluRay. From before, I have the Madrid concert on DVD. I didn't get the 40th anniversary (I'm kinda content with my old releases of the studio albums), but I do have a digital version of THE SICILIAN DEFENSE. It's very much a 'leftover' album (like Pink Floyd's THE FINAL CUT or THE ENDLESS RIVER), but I like several of the tracks. Certainly better than how it's been described over the years.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, but I never had a problem with that. In fact, I think nobody does. 

A certain John Williams esq. might :lol:

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I've ordered the Colombia BluRay. From before, I have the Madrid concert on DVD. I didn't get the 40th anniversary (I'm kinda content with my old releases of the studio albums), but I do have a digital version of THE SICILIAN DEFENSE. It's very much a 'leftover' album (like Pink Floyd's THE FINAL CUT or THE ENDLESS RIVER), but I like several of the tracks. Certainly better than how it's been described over the years.

Agreed. It's a case of bits of shoe leather, but it's not bad. Have you got the older live CD (from about 1997, I think?)?

Its a pity that FREUDIANA was not allowed to be completed as an APP record. It's really good, and better than GAUDI. Frankie Howerd is funny as.

Ps don't tell anyone, but, ssshhhh...(lowers voice) I rather like TFC.

It works best when listened- to whole, even though NOT NOW, JOHN is the best thing on it.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

greed. It's a case of bits of shoe leather, but it's not bad. Have you got the older live CD (from about 1997, I think?)?

Oh yes, a great live album!

Its a pity that FREUDIANA was not allowed to be completed as an APP record. It's really good, and better than GAUDI. Frankie Howerd is funny as.

FREUDIANA is brilliant. In my top 3 APP and APP-related albums. I actually like much of Woolfson's solo musicals too.

Ps don't tell anyone, but, ssshhhh...(lowers voice) I rather like TFC.

It works best when listened- to whole, even though NOT NOW, JOHN is the best thing on it.

Hey, THE FINAL CUT is wonderful. I'm with ya!

19 hours ago, Richard said:

No, Richard, Gilmour's solos are the best thing on it.