Symphonic Star Wars

Omen II

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and choir will be giving a concert of Star Wars music from all seven films on 29th October 2017 at the Royal Albert Hall.  Stephen Bell conducts and there will be two performances.

Symphonic Star Wars

Aie!  Mon pauvre portefeuille.  I wonder if I can hide in the bowels of the hall after Jaws In Concert, emerging only to watch film music concerts and feast on the flesh of RAH patrons who have become separated from the rest of their group?  It's either that or a bullion heist.

• 6 months later...

Many thanks for mentioning this, Damien. I know you came to the Birmingham edition in 2015 so I hope you can come along next month as obviously there'll be more music, a revised running order and a very different atmosphere.

Here's a message from our host, Richard. Just to clarify who Aks Moe is ;-) and Marc also does character voices so he's the perfect host. Hopefully you can also make it to one of the shows. Limited tickets are left. Rush's 'Spirit of Radio' is one of my all-time favourites by the way. What a song! (ref. your avatar) 

18 hours ago, mahler3 said:

Many thanks for mentioning this, Damien. I know you came to the Birmingham edition in 2015 so I hope you can come along next month as obviously there'll be more music, a revised running order and a very different atmosphere.

Thank you for the reminder Tim, I have not bought tickets for this yet but am certainly considering it.  The CBSO concert a couple of years ago was indeed brilliant but this one is much closer to home.

I will be going to the Royal Albert Hall so many times next month they'll probably think I'm up to no good!

• 5 weeks later...

Congratulations @mahler3 on your producing and announcing for this evening's wonderful concert.  I really enjoyed it!  The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra must have been knackered playing such a demanding selection of music twice in one day.  I had not heard the Cantus Ensemble choir before but they were great.

There was so much great Star Wars music but the highlights for me had to be the four selections from The Force Awakens at the end.

DSC02432.JPG

DSC02435.JPG

DSC02436.JPG

DSC02438.JPG

DSC02439.JPG

DSC02440.JPG

Seems like another great concert. :)

I wish we had even a quarter of the film music concerts here that you have on the isles.

It cannot be denied that film music fans in London have been utterly spoilt for choice with great concerts over the last few weeks with the Royal Albert Hall's Festival of Film.  Here is a video that someone has uploaded featuring March of the Resistance and the beginning of Rey's Theme from The Force Awakens.

This one features The Asteroid Field, Luke and Leia, Parade of the Ewoks and most of The Forest Battle.

PS I agree that The Force Awakens was a big highlight! I went back and forth on which Jedi Steps Finale to use as there are two versions, but the full length edition, dispute some repetition, will always win due to the overall arrangement and flow. Plus, how can I not include the Binary Sunset French horn solo?! :-)

23 hours ago, mahler3 said:

I'm glad you enjoyed and thanks for coming. Did you enjoy the Encore intro?

Yes definitely, I have loved that rarely heard opening to The Imperial March ever since I got the Charles Gerhardt / National Philharmonic recording back in the day.  I sensed that a lot of the people around me were not sure what it was at first until the familiar ostinato kicks in after the (stopped?) horn note.  Yer tis:

• 3 months later...

This trailer for a couple of the RPO's upcoming film music concerts features a lot of footage from the Symphonic Star Wars concerts and rehearsals, as well as Across the Stars by Johnson Q. Williams.

Thursday next week, 15 February, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra is doing The Planets by Holst and selections from Star Wars. A great orchestra. During the last 10 years it has climbed to become a significant contender, easily better than the Royal Philharmonic. ;)

http://tso.no/program/planetene