THE POST - FILM Thread

Alex

1 hour ago, KK said:

I'm sure The Post will rack up the most nominations this year, but go home with very little. It's too early to tell, but I might bet on Lady Bird as the real front-runner.

Three Billboards still has a strong chance too. I think Ladybird will win best supporting actress too.

On 29.11.2017 at 10:49 AM, Disco Stu said:

I predict TGP will quit the forum for good this time in disgust based on the countless posts that will be variations on "How can they give Zimmer the Oscar, that wasn't even music"

The day Zimmer will have won more Oscars than Goldsmith is the day Trump will be degraded to the Academy's Enemy No 2!

On 12/1/2017 at 4:16 AM, Alexcremers said:

Was it nominated? Who won?

NY critics awards do not have nominations. Lady Bird won Best Picture.

On 12/1/2017 at 4:34 AM, Alexcremers said:

But the possible reason why it didn't win is because the movie hasn't been released yet, right? 

No. They have seen it and it was eligible and they could vote for it.

LA film critics voted today - another super prestigious critics award and zilch for The Post again. Did not even place in the Top 5 of any category including Meryl Streep for Best Actress.

And these are even more liberal critics than NY critics.

I still feel the trump hate is going to power Post and Streep to Oscar wins.

From the USA Today review: " The combination of the adventurous Spielbergian lens and a dynamite John Williams score jazzes up the most mundane newspaper conventions, from a copy editor striking words with a red pen to trucks rolling out with first editions. If only the same heroic anthems accompanied the writing of a movie review."

Of course the writer doesn't use the verb "jazz" in the sense of the music being that genre.

I liked the writer who called Lincoln, Bridge of Spies, and The Post Spielberg's "Civics Trilogy."  It's my Star Wars trilogy in terms of excitement as a lame dad who loves history.

the John Williams score isn’t as powerful as his other legendary pieces for the director

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-post-steven-spielberg-tom-hanks-meryl-streep-review-2017-12

(a negative review generally, not just of the score)

4 minutes ago, Bor Gullet said:

There seems to be a huge disconnect between the positive and negative reviews on RT. Weird.

It's why Rotten Tomatoes sucks.  Metacritic takes into account the degree to which critics liked or disliked a movie and is superior.

Making no distinction between "I kinda liked this" and "Best movie ever made!" is beyond stupid.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

From the USA Today review: " The combination of the adventurous Spielbergian lens and a dynamite John Williams score jazzes up the most mundane newspaper conventions, from a copy editor striking words with a red pen to trucks rolling out with first editions. If only the same heroic anthems accompanied the writing of a movie review."

Yes! It sounds like my Asteroid Field style set piece will happen after all. 

And now it's up to 77% on RT's, and a top critics ratings at 100% after seven reviews. I'm guessing the first batch of negative reviews were from a bunch of nobodies. It's why RT's kinda sucks honestly. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I'm guessing that's the 

Spoiler

fugual preparation music Jim Ware spoke of?

Either way, sounds very exciting 

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Just don't look at scores on sites like these and just watch the film to make your own opinion?

I can read reviews and see the film to form my own opinion.  I feel like what you imagine people read reviews for isn't what I read reviews for.

Here is the one from the Wash Post: "And, as he so often does, the director tacks on an extra ending for the benefit of the cheap seats that always come first in his calculations, subtlety be damned. And subtlety is damned, for eternity, in John Williams’s shamelessly manipulative score."

Okay, here is a thought: movie making, and probably all story telling, is essentially manipulative.  It is designed to get us to feel certain things and think certain things, or at least think about certain things.  Why get upset when the score "says" the same damn thing as the movie itself?  I mean, her review itself is manipulative in telling us what to think about the movie and score.  

Williams can be manipulative but never in an oppressive heavy-handed way. His music is still extraordinarily sophisticated and nuanced to be considered hammering the audience over the head.

Some people think Schindler's List is calculated for maximum waterworks by audiences but it is much to elegant too be considered that.

I personally think Gia tries too hard a lot of the times. Williams has a much lighter tough.

On 7.12.2017 at 8:56 PM, Tom said:

Okay, here is a thought: movie making, and probably all story telling, is essentially manipulative.  It is designed to get us to feel certain things and think certain things, or at least think about certain things. 

Sweeping generalizations are bullshit regardless of which side utters them. Hollywood movies have been targeted since the old MGM days for often using cheap tactics to push certain buttons. Mind you, there are good button-pushers that often are result of good artistry on all sides involved, there are medium-successful ones, i. e. when the score has to work overtime to make lacking scenes work and there are the bad and ugly ones, where no one involved made an effort to even hide it.

I haven't seen 'The Post', obviously, but i guess it will follow established Spielberg/Williams patterns and will not seem overly offensive in that context, but given that 'Lincoln' drew not nearly as much vitriol it is very likely that the movie itself is not successful and the music stands out for exactly that reason. Ill-deserved 'rousing' finishes have been quite a frequent Spielberg problem since the late 90's.

So this opens in Australia on January 11, even earlier than America's wide release. Wonder if it's worth holding out from listening to the soundtrack until then? It could be the last new John Williams score until Episode IX!

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Sweeping generalizations are bullshit regardless of which side utters them. Hollywood movies have been targeted since the old MGM days for often using cheap tactics to push certain buttons. Mind you, there are good button-pushers that often are result of good artistry on all sides involved, there are medium-successful ones, i. e. when the score has to work overtime to make lacking scenes work and there are the bad and ugly ones, where no one involved made an effort to even hide it.

I haven't seen 'The Post', obviously, but i guess it will follow established Spielberg/Williams patterns and will not seem overly offensive in that context, but given that 'Lincoln' drew not nearly as much vitriol it is very likely that the movie itself is not successful and the music stands out for exactly that reason. Ill-deserved 'rousing' finishes have been quite a frequent Spielberg problem since the late 90's.

Interesting.  Could it be that many so-called "over-scored" movies are due to the score being better than the film itself?  that would explain many Williams's and Goldsmith scores that seem out of place, though they would have not been had the film been better.  (prequels come to mind).  That really handicaps a composer: write down to the level of the film.  If an actor did that, he would be criticized by the critics as phoning it in.   

That is certainly not a pre-requisite. In 'The Post's case probably because Spielberg uses Williams as he often does as a crutch for his 'messages' - creating scenes that could play either way but asking the composer (Tommy Newman in case of 'Bridge of Spies') to pour on the 'inspirational' strings and horns to give it the necessary spin. That's a different story than, say, Goldsmith beefing up 'Hollow Man', which will not leap at you in the same way. One problem is that every second Edward Zwick, Ron Howard et al. movie essentially works the same way and it often feels clichéd.