CONCERT: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone in Concert (Oulu, Finland 3rd of March 2017) (John Williams)

Incanus

Great review! I'll be posting my (shorter) one on Sunday, I think. Hopefully they won't encourage the audience to whoop and cheer in Antwerp (we're noisy enough as it is), and they'd better turn up the orchestra's volume.

Well it makes sense to use a children's choir for the church scenes in Home Alone. It is unfortunate if you dislike their sound.

I sort of missed the live choir in the HPPS performance but I think the orchestra had extra players and the whole stage was so full, they might not even had room for a choir in the hall. Again I was surprised as in my memory the stage of the hall was larger than it actually is and could barely fit the entire orchestra there.

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Considing how little choir there is in the score I can't really fault an orchestra for not booking one. 

Its not like LOTR, where vocal performances are a constant aspect of the music.

Harry Potter actually has quite a bit of choral parts, some less prominent than others, but I also understand if they didn't want to book a whole choir as it would have been a considerable extra cost. And with that the price of the concert would probably have gone up from the 35 €.

Are you being serious now? Did he really want choir to sing Hedwig's Theme?

My problem with children's choirs is that they're just never as good as adults here. Every single time the children had to sing during LOTR, they ruined it. And the adult women would have done just fine anyway.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Are you being serious now? Did he really want choir to sing Hedwig's Theme?

:joke:

Absolutely, but even when they're competent, I don't like the sound of a children's choir. I'd espcially find it very unfortunate if Home Alone came to Belgimu without our good choir.

Loved your review from start to finish. I saw HPSS (North American) in concert, too. Concert buddy! :rock:

I've also seen Home Alone in concert, too.

And this year, the Films In Concert series where I live has three new additions for me to enjoy: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Nightmare before Christmas, and HPatCoS. I've GOT to see all of them.

P.S. You only got one thing wrong in your review.

the entire seven film saga

Eight films. HPatDH was a two-parter.

It was an awesome experience indeed.

12 minutes ago, RedBard said:

Eight films. HPatDH was a two-parter.

Ah duly noted and review corrected.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Can't believe you fucked that up! What a loser!

So forgiving of you. :D

On 3/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, bollemanneke said:

Absolutely, but even when they're competent, I don't like the sound of a children's choir. I'd espcially find it very unfortunate if Home Alone came to Belgimu without our good choir.

I never cease to be amazed by your preferences that are odd, oddly specific, and oddly sweeping in nature.

27 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Can't believe you fucked that up! What a loser!

Thank you for your feedback. It has been received and will be used to improve our service. Have a nice day.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Glad to hear I'm baffling. Having sweeping convinctions runs in the family.

Now I hope Williams writes a score featuring children's choir throughout that repeats the main melody over and over!! 

@Disco Stu You can add another sweeping preference to my list: I dislike baroque opera. Went to see Aarippina by Handel yesterday and both me and my brother couldn't stand those annoying repetitions. So it's not just me! 

Just read that they are doing the Chamber of Secrets in Helsinki next autumn. Awesome! :woop:

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, you've already heard most of it during the Philosopher's Stone concert. ;)

Tru dat! :lol:

But this bodes well for HP 3 concert arriving here at some point.