What are your favorite scores by JW? Song within that score?

customdesignguy

Please don't call film music cues "songs".

My favorite score is either Temple of Doom, Hook, or Empire Strikes Back depending on the day, with my favorite cue within each I guess being Indy Takes Charge, Finale, and The End of Hook, something like that.  

What about you?

I understand completely.  I love when themes come up out of nowhere and give you goosebumps...  Chills created by JW's scores is what I live for.

But the definition of a "song" is poetry and JW's music are poetry for the ears of what is being seen by the eyes.  So, yeah. lol

I have to say right now I'm really into "Rey's Theme" for The Force Awakens.  It all depends on my mood.  I'm studying and writing a paper now so "Rey's Theme" has got me in the working mood. :-)

My favourite JW score is Temple of Doom by some margin, because it's the only JW soundtrack which I find consistently enjoyable, from beginning to end, minute to minute!

My second favourite is A.I.. There's a certain dreamy quality to it which I find refreshing, like breathing in clean mountain air. It's hard to describe...but I feel it's unique among Williams' output. My favourite track is Journey through the Ice (Part 1), which gives me chills every time (no pun intended).

My third favourite is 1941; the original album release. It's just so fun! My favourite track is The March.

4 minutes ago, LampPost said:

My third favourite is 1941; the original album release. It's just so fun! My favourite track is The March.

:sarcasm:

20 minutes ago, LampPost said:

My second favourite is A.I.. There's a certain dreamy quality to it which I find refreshing, like breathing in clean mountain air. It's hard to describe...but I feel it's unique among Williams' output.

I can completely comprehend what you mean.

Nevertheless my favorite scores are 1. "The Lost World"   2. "The Prizoner of Azkaban"   and   3. "The Temple of Doom".

My favorite cues of them are "Rescuing Sarah", maybe "Confusing Confrontation:(" and "The Deadly Potion/Molarum's Speech:(".

Moreover "Rescuing Sarah" is my all time favorite piece of music (taking every genre into consideration)!

33 minutes ago, LampPost said:

...problem?

How can you listen to a heavily truncated soundtrack album without feeling depressed because you're missing out on so many great cues?

I already feel depressed writing this post. :(

1 minute ago, Bartokus Novus said:

How can you listen to a heavily truncated soundtrack album without feeling depressed because you're missing out on so many great cues?

I already feel depressed writing this post. :(

Eh...I admit, I listened to the full score first and to the best of my memory all my favourite bits ended up being in the original album release. 

I may have just been in a bad mood, though. I'll revisit the full score soon. ;)

I like the song that opens Temple of Doom. I think JW did a new arrangement for that opening credit sequence. The song from AI sucks though. JW's song with Pavarotti is kind of hilarious too.

Favourite scores with favourite tracks within:

1. JURASSIC PARK - "Journey to the Island"

2. RETURN OF THE JEDI - "Final Duel/Into the Death Star"

3. JANE EYRE - "Jane Eyre Theme" (but "Restoration" a close runner-up)

4. INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE - "Only the Penitant Will Pass"

5. HOOK - "Face of Pan"

6. ANGELA'S ASHES - "Angela's Prayer"

7. A.I. - ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - difficult....maybe "Stored Memories and Monica's Theme"

8. E.T. - THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - "Adventures on Earth"

9. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS - "Resolution & End Title"

10. EMPIRE OF THE SUN - "Exultate Justi" (or "Cadillac of the Skies")

Something like that. Some of the titles on the latter half are constantly in and out of the top list, making way for others. Also, lists like these are difficult for me, because I separate so strongly between music-as-heard-in-film and soundtrack albums. In fact, the two lists would look considerably different. I kinda tried to merge them in this list, but it doesn't really work.

The gang's camp at night being approached by the T-Rex, and then them having to run into cover under the waterfall, etc.

In the final film though, most of what Williams wrote got dropped and replaced by the same section looped on a repeat instead

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The gang's camp at night being approached by the T-Rex, and then them having to run into cover under the waterfall, etc.

In the final film though, most of what Williams wrote got dropped and replaced by the same section looped on a repeat instead

This is not true. The cue seems intact. Watch the movie again!

Star Wars - "The Throne Room and End Title"

Also worth mentioning (not my favorite score though close), is E.T. - "Escape/Chase/Saying Goodbye" (or "Adventure on Earth"), which might possibly be his best track/cue ever.

Well there is that minute and a half of it on the OST. ;)

All time favorite will be E.T. and then of course Adventures on Earth: in my opinion the best cue JW ever wrote, feels like a last movement of a brilliant symphony. 

Personal favorite: Far and Away, the Land Race.

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

Well there is that minute and a half of it on the OST. ;)

I never understood why they did that tension destroying edit called "Ludlow's Demise". That track has always been very confusing - till now. There were portions of that track in 3 different chapters of the movie and you didn't know if it was because of the film edits or because of the album edits - most confusing track ever!

It makes sense musically, it only seems weird if you analyze the original intention for the music in the film

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It makes sense musically, it only seems weird if you analyze the original intention for the music in the film

Exactly.

Very very hard choice but here's what I love the most:

1. STAR WARS III (favorite song: Battle Over Coruscant)

2. WAR HORSE (favorite song: Plowing)

3. THE LOST WORLD (favorite song: Visitor in San Diego)