Question about the Nazgul music

bollemanneke

That and the Gondor Reborn statement are the two that are just too far for me. 

The rest throughout the score I can live with and they make sense for the most part. Those two though....

The wraith music is really less Offensive than Gondor Reborn, which is very surreal in the actual film.

So, only the original compositions will be discussed. That more or less confirms that the film versions are not at all in line with Shore's intentions.

Because after all, if the film versions were his intentions, there would be no need to neglect them.

I find it a bit (ok, more than a bit) disheartening that the book would be released without full score releases that precede it.

8 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

All lyrics will be provided. But the score will only be analyzed in the form in which it was originally composed by Shore.

Will the book exclusively use the soundtracks as the spine of the narrative or will other pieces written for the film but not on the soundtrack albums be analysed?

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

Will the book exclusively use the soundtracks as the spine of the narrative or will other pieces written for the film but not on the soundtrack albums be analysed?

Hopefully the latter!

Best case scenario is that we get expanded/complete releases before/with the book. 

It would be pretty awful to just read the analysis of the funeral music without having the actual track available in Shore's intended form.

1 hour ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Just been listening to BOTFA, after a bit of a Hobbit break. Fantastic score.

I do love many sections but again reiterate that I would love a less bass heavy mix so I could listen to it more often. I feel like I have been bludgeoned with a sledgehammer after listening to the action stuff on disc 2.

17 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

We could still get full scores with the original intentions!

If there really were 4 alternate ending scores for AUJ, it was amazing to hear them. It can't surely be Shore's original intention + 3 verisons he didn't like. They are all just different artistic approaches.

If the final film version was Shore's final artistic approach, there would be no need to use anything else on album.

I seriously doubt that the insertion of the wraith music was an artistic decision of any sort, at least on Shore's part.

3 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

What do you mean?

My impression was that it was written after the album was completed.

If I were Shore I would be bloody proud of the Flight of the Carrock film piece.

Although the fllight to the Carrock piece does seem to emulate the Forth Eorlings/Théoden Rides Forth in its musical contour quite closely I love the Nature's Reclamation theme too much to deny that my heart has greatly desired it. The thematic set-up done in Out of the Frying-Pan almost begs for the full rendition of the theme for the eagles. And out of all the surrounding thematic revisions it also makes the most sense to me. But then again do love that theme. :wub:

My contempt for the literal rehash for that scene (down to the Gandalf the White statement!!) overshadows that lovely rendition of the Nature theme. The Eagles theme that follows though, is beautiful. And I believe that was what SUH wa referring to.

42 minutes ago, KK said:

My contempt for the literal rehash for that scene (down to the Gandalf the White statement!!) overshadows that lovely rendition of the Nature theme. The Eagles theme that follows though, is beautiful. And I believe that was what SUH wa referring to.

Yes the rehash parts are irksome but do not quite outweigh the theme for me. I like both versions, the earlier one on the OST and the revised melody for the flight to the Carrock that is reprised in BotFA.

I've been heckled for saying this in the past, but will nevertheless do it again: I loved the Wringwraith music at the end of AUJ. Not because it makes sense (doesn't), but because it's such a great recording and, well, it just added that little bit of LOTR that the last two scores are so sorely missing.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Eändil said:

What is meant by the harmonic structure and harmonic elements and all that harmony talk? I'm not very musically literate, although I believe I know enough to understand if someone explains. Do you mean that the different appearances of the Ringwraith motif (in TTT and ROTK) use the same close-spaced intervals (such as the minor and major seconds in the Ringwraith chords sung (chanted) by choir in FOTR) or is it something more complicated than that, something more underlying?

Yes it is pretty much that. 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Also Sauron ruled and spoiled Mordor at the end of the Second Age, Barad-Dúr's foundations were built then, the battle where he lost his Ring and most of his power (3000 years before LotR) was fought on a battlefield on the border (which became the Dead Marshes) and the slopes of Mount Doom. His moving back there from Dol Guldur was a return, he just kept a low profile to gather strength for a while.

But yeah, anyway, the elves were fighting orcs on the now destroyed western lands of Beleriand back when Sauron was just a lieutenant of Melkor (or the cat-prince Tevildo, whichever continuity you prefer!)

Azog in th ebooks though was the leader of the goblins who overtook Moria, no mention of him coming from Mordor (or in the films either, I think)

IIRC in the books there is a difference between goblins and orcs, but in the films they are the same thing.  Or something like that.