The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

Is there another big underground rave in the third movie? I think that was where I realised the depth of the level of failure the series had fallen to, and I sank into my seat, quite gutted. The first film, that whole fiction, was just so fuckin' perfect to me up until that point.

On 8/21/2019 at 3:20 AM, Koray Savas said:

This. I also hope it means Don Davis returns, though I can totally see Holkenborg scoring this. 

Didn't Davis and the Wachowskis had a falling out during Revolutions? Perhaps they will ask him to return nonetheless. However, I fear Don Davis' M.O. doesn't fit much with the current Hollywood standards of team-composing, so he might be off the mark.

I can see the Wachowski asking Giacchino or Heil & Klimek (who did Cloud Atlas and sense8 with them) to take scoring duties.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Is there another big underground rave in the third movie? I think that was where I realised the depth of the level of failure the series had fallen to, and I sank into my seat, quite gutted. The first film, that whole fiction, was just so fuckin' perfect to me up until that point.

What?! That's one of my favourite scenes in the whole film. And the guts they had to stretch it out the way they did. Awesome.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

What?! That's one of my favourite scenes in the whole film. And the guts they had to stretch it out the way they did. Awesome.

Yeah it should have been the whole movie. Test the audience's endurance.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The third one is mostly just a big blockbuster action movie.

It's more like the final level of a sci-fi shoot 'em up.

I absolutely love how the Wachowskis subverted the whole Christ story of the first Matrix, with the reveal that Neo was himself just another tool of the Matrix to control humans.  Or at least that's how I remember, it's been a while, and I was never super obsessive about Matrix lore.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm pleased that you extract enjoyment out of excruciatingly cringy scenes reminiscent of a 90s Bicardi ad, but I was in agreement with the rest of discerning world on that one, in that I thought it was a painful fucking abomination of a sequence, to the point that my row of friends actually started chuckling out loud together at it.

I remember being shocked by how cringey I found most of the underground scenes...granted I came to the Matrix later than most of you.

I'd say 'going for the alliteration, are we?' but my personal expectation is The Matrix Revelations so I don't have room to talk :P

excruciatingly cringy scenes reminiscent of a 90s Bicardi ad

Hahaha!

Am I the only one whose memory of these movies are super blurred, especially pertaining to the sequels? I don't remember what happened in which one except some of the obvious setpieces of Reloaded...I don't know if I've seen both of them, parts of both, all of one and then fragments of the other, or what. 

I'm pleased that you extract enjoyment out of excruciatingly cringy scenes reminiscent of a 90s Bicardi ad, but I was in agreement with the rest of discerning world on that one, in that I thought it was a painful fucking abomination of a sequence, to the point that my row of friends actually started chuckling out loud together at it.

As someone who was part of the rave scene a little bit in the 90s, I loved it. Plus the fact that they stretched it out; it wasn't just some random insert. Great hypnotic, visceral value. I actually wish there had been more gutsy, visionary scenes like that -- a sense of 'presence' and 'being there'.

I did all the clubs in those days too, as well as popped E and whatever else there was to be experimented with. Never once did I go anywhere that the blokes went topless on the dancefloor though.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

As someone who was part of the rave scene a little bit in the 90s, I loved it. Plus the fact that they stretched it out; it wasn't just some random insert. Great hypnotic, visceral value. I actually wish there had been more gutsy, visionary scenes like that -- a sense of 'presence' and 'being there'.

Is that where you received your crippling, lifelong hearing condition?

30 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I did all the clubs in those days too, as well as popped E and whatever else there was to be experimented with. Never once did I go anywhere that the blokes went topless on the dancefloor though.

Too much vitamin E is dangerous.

56 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Ha, ha. Neither did I (nor did I ever try E). I guess a decent clothing store is hard to come by down in the underground.

42 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

Is that where you received your crippling, lifelong hearing condition?

Surprisingly, no.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha. Neither did I (nor did I ever try E). I guess a decent clothing store is hard to come by down in the underground.

The budget didn't allow it.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Surprisingly, no.

Hearing damages can be delayed, though.

Okay, this is good news for the movie, I guess:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/braveheart-cinematographer-john-toll-boarding-matrix-4-1233871

If nothing else, it'll most likely look better than the previous films.

7 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Okay, this is good news for the movie, I guess:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/braveheart-cinematographer-john-toll-boarding-matrix-4-1233871

If nothing else, it'll most likely look better than the previous films.

Strange logic.

John Toll is only one of the absolute best cinematographers in the industry. Legends of the FallBraveheart and The Last Samurai all look great, the Thin Red Line looks magnificent, and even the Wachowski's previous stinker, Jupiter Ascending, at least looked great.

Admittedly, Iron-Man 3 isn't anything too special, but that's a Marvel film: they all look the same.

There are so many great cinematographers, it's almost impossible to stand out from the crowd, so much depends on the project they are working on.

The original Matrix film set a high benchmark to begin with. Chen's logic is like saying if Empire of the Sun was suddenly remade with the Braveheart DP, it'd probably automatically look superior to Allen Daviau's effort. Which is silly.

7 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

I mean, sure, Thor might have enjoyed the rave scene in his youth, but how does a drawn out scene portraying that make for compelling filmmaking?

YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

I admit I have a thing for disco scenes in movies. The sheer energy, the strobe lights, the colours, the occasional slomo, the funky riffs -- as if the narrative suddenly takes a pause for a more music video-type aesthetic with lavish visuals and beats that wash over you. In Abdellatif Kechiche's MEKTOUB, MY LOVE: CANTO UNO (2017), there's a disco scene that lasts for, what, an hour. It's glorious! I've heard there's a similar scene in the recent sequel, which I have not yet seen. Makes the rave scene in MATRIX a "blink of an eye" in comparison.

In MATRIX, that scene is such a tremendeous release valve after so much narrative tension.

Sometimes I just think Thor doubles down on his more outlier views as soon as he gets a whiff of bafflement in others, purely for the sake of some weird internal principal system he has going on his brain.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Sometimes I just think Thor doubles down on his more outlier views as soon as he gets a whiff of bafflement in others, purely for the sake of some weird internal principal system he has going on his brain.

Reminds me of online merchants I've dealt with who hike the price of their sale item after I express interest in buying.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not really. I'm just stubborn.

Yeah but if a chimp unbeknownst to you painted a canvas and you declared it to be brilliant art, only for the chimp painter to be revealed to you after, you'd still find away to mount a beleaguered argument for its quality regardless, at the amusement of bystanders.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Yeah but if a chimp unbeknownst to you painted a canvas and you declared it to be brilliant art, only for the chimp painter to be revealed to you after, you'd still find away to build a beleaguered argument for its quality regardless, at the amusement of bystanders.

Of course. Good is good.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then the solution is easy: don't buy.

Yeah I told off a seller today for telling me porkies, ignoring my messages, then deleting the listing and relisting it for $100 more... all after I'd agree to buy! Bloody cock.

Reloaded is a bloated confusing uninvolving mess. I had no idea what was even happening. It's so overly cryptic and full of itself. What a pretentious pile of crap.

It turned me off from watching the third one.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Reloaded arguably has the best action scenes of the trilogy.

Like what? I remember a scene with hundreds of Mr. Smiths but the CGI was kinda obvious (or crude).

41 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Like what? I remember a scene with hundreds of Mr. Smiths but the CGI was kinda obvious (or crude).

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The CGI in that scene was horrendous. Same with the highway chase.

The freeway chase was mostly practical, so not sure what you’re referring to. 

He's also talking about the obvious computer graphics fight near the beginning after Neo talks with the smoking lady and hundreds of Smiths confront him. It's entirely redundant.