The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

22 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Um, if most of your recent output has been on TV, how expensive are you exactly?

And Resurgence is as much of a Hollywood film as every other blockbuster these days, so I sincerely doubt money was an issue (especially if more sequels were on the cards).

I really could care less.

Apparently, the movie going public felt the same.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

David Arnold, composer of the score to the first film, said on his Twitter account he was not asked to score to the sequel and that since the studio owns his themes for the first film, the new composers could use them.

This is the worst part of it all. They had the money and the means to bring Arnold, but instead Emmerich asked two mediocre composers to score his big budget movie.

The flop was well deserved.

I don’t know if this is salacious rumor or not, but years ago I recall Roland Emmerich was romantically involved with one of his two regular composers??  I can’t seem to find that on Google now and Emmerich since has married Omar Desoto.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I remain the only JWFan excited for this movie regardless of who scores it?

I would say 'intrigued'. Can't quite stretch to excited until I at least see a teaser. I accepted the fact Davis was unlikely to be asked back some time ago.

48 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Was Will Smith in it?

No, his character was 'written out' (killed off-screen)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

SPEED RACER - never saw it

Speed Racer is a tremendous movie!  Despite the fact that I have absolutely zero knowledge or connection to the source material, I found it delightful!  It’s the kind of movie that got me legitimately weepy like three times and also has a chimp that cartoonishly brains motherfuckers with a wrench.

And it’s easily Giacchino’s best score.  I’m not clamoring for any Giacchino expansions tbh but if they did a Speed Racer one, I’d be there for it.

True story: The complete score to Speed Racer streamed legally free on some promotional website back in the day

Anyways, I never actively avoided catching the flick, it just hasn't happened yet!

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

I would say 'intrigued'. Can't quite stretch to excited until I at least see a teaser. I accepted the fact Davis was unlikely to be asked back some time ago.

No, his character was 'written out' (killed off-screen)

I rest my case😁

44 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Arnold was never going to do Independence Day sequel. Emmerich and Kloser have been creatively involved since The Day After Tomorrow. 

Didn't Kloser tell Emmerich to hire Arnold, but Emmerich insisted that Kloser was acceptable for the gig?

The movie was rubbish anyway; an Arnold score might have salvaged it. Kloser's score did nothing to elevate the material.

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2021 at 11:14 PM, Jay said:

If most every shot in the movie will have special effects, it will be much closer to the release than that

Unlikely. I remember the production designer Peter Walpole saying they want to capture as much as they can in-camera.

"Interestingly so, we've tended to do more things in-camera, because it's cheaper, than extending them to visual effects. It leaves the money the visual effects have got, to really spend it where it's necessary, which has been great."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWQ2ksHfXg

Cloud Atlas is a great score, definitely one of my favorites. I also like the film a lot, too; so take that for what you will. Having said that, it is a big shame Don Davis isn't returning. :( Can we kickstart to have Don Davis score another film again? Is that what we have to do? LOL. He has had such a great array of scores... The Matrix Trilogy, Jurassic Park 3 (say what you will about his adaptation of the Williams themes, but you can't deny how fun of a score it is!), and even this pretty bad family fantasy film called Warriors of Virtue. If you have never heard that score do yourself a favor and check it out.

21 hours ago, KK said:

That would mean admitting their own sequels were failures. They're definitely going to stand by their mythology.

Oh I know. That's why I said if it were up to me. Clearly they're not going to discard their own movies. Though I do think there would be a way within the existing story framework to largely ignore the sequels if they were so inclined.

The first film is a flat out classic that rightly sits alongside 2001, Star Wars, Blade Runner and Alien as the most influential modern sci-fi films. But that said I think it was a great concept that they just didn't know what to do with beyond the initial idea.

On 12/7/2020 at 7:38 PM, Edmilson said:

Yeah, meanwhile, a lot of mediocre composers get tons of work.

I too do not understand the amount of work Giacchino and the Bryan Tyler Bates, Lorne Balfe, and Junkie XLs of this world get. 

50 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I too do not understand the amount of work Giacchino and the Bryan Tyler Bates, Lorne Balfe, and Junkie XLs of this world get. 

Two words: temp track. Hollywood producers and directors want their scores to match the temp as perfectly as possible. So, if they can't get Zimmer himself, they'll use one of his apprentices, like Balfe or Junkie.

It's either that or they have excellent agents.

20 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

The film first is a flat out classic that rightly sits along 2001, Star Wars, Blade Runner and Alien as the most influential modern sci-fi films. But that I said I think it was a great concept that they just didn't know what to do with beyond the initial idea.

Agreed! 

Yea, even within the first movie they already ran out of ideas after the whole concept is explained.  The whole action climax of rescuing Morpheus is kind of a let down after the first 2 acts of fantastic setup and world building.

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

You're just bitter because there are no Spitfires.

I don’t think even a Spitfire could save that naval gazing trash. 

Two Spitfires though 🤔 

21 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Two words: temp track. Hollywood producers and directors want their scores to match the temp as perfectly as possible. So, if they can't get Zimmer himself, they'll use one of his apprentices, like Balfe or Junkie.

It's either that or they have excellent agents.

It is not complicated. Directors work with composers who:

1. Are flexible and have tremendous resources

2. Have built prior relationships

3. Are easy to work with

4. Are acclaimed or have prior success

5. Understand the current musical landscape

Those people are Zimmer, Balfe, Junkie, Giacchino, Tyler, etc.

1 hour ago, Giftheck said:

Matrix without Don Davis would be like Star Wars without John Williams: you can put all the pretty pictures you like on the screen, but something is not going to feel right without it. I'm not seeing ironclad confirmation about the composers yet, so I really hope he gets asked, at least.

I mean, I love John Williams, but the man is 89 years old. There have had many different composers scoring Star Wars already. It is not just a choice, but necessity. And Star Wars will be fine with Williams. In some ways, if Star Wars needs Williams, then there shouldn't be any Star Wars because it means they are still telling the same story over and over again (which is one of my criticism of the new trilogy). 

I had hoped Davis would come back, but circumstances change and life goes on. 

It's depressing that a composer as talented as Davis is struggling to find worthy movies to score. If I was a producer/director in Hollywood for a big budget action/adventure movie, at the very least I would consider him for scoring my movie.

Meanwhile, the Balfes and Junkies of this world are getting one big blockbuster to score after another.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It's depressing that a composer as talented as Davis is struggling to find worthy movies to score. If I was a producer/director in Hollywood for a big budget action/adventure movie, at the very least I would consider him for scoring my movie.

Meanwhile, the Balfes and Junkies of this world are getting one big blockbuster to score after another.

Don Davis is as talented as they come, but do we know anything about him outside of his music? I am thinking about someone like Howard Shore who created 3 of the best scores of all time and doesn't seem like he is that sought after. Maybe he isn't the easiest guy to work with. And maybe Davis isn't. Maybe Davis turned down a lot of projects that he doesn't like? Like Mark Mancina. 

The first movie is good and always has been. There are some dumb kids who post on this forum who like to criticize things for "Not aging well" when everything made for their generation is pure shit.

I belong to those who would want Davis back, but I don't think we need to be too worried for his income in general. While Hollywood folks aren't running down his door, he seems to have found assignments elsewhere. His score for the Japanese film TOKYO GHOUL in 2017 was one of the highlights that year, for example.

Embarrassingly cliche title and an incomprehensible, downright moronic decision to snub Davis after he defined the musical legacy of the series.

Zero interest in this pile of cow-dung from here on. No doubt it'll be as miserable as the previous two sequels. Frankly there's been a foul stench around this film since Lilly walked away, not to mention the bizarre Fishburn and Weaving situations.

13 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Matrix without Don Davis would be like Star Wars without John Williams: you can put all the pretty pictures you like on the screen, but something is not going to feel right without it. I'm not seeing ironclad confirmation about the composers yet, so I really hope he gets asked, at least.

Yeah I disagree with this, and don't think its a very apt comparison. There's probably no film that owes as big a chunk of its success to the score than Star Wars. Without Williams score, I don't think there are any Star Wars sequels, and no one is talking about it today. It's that vital to the experience.  Even films like Jaws and CE3K and Raiders, where the score is iconic and closely tied to the film, don't owe their success to the soundtrack the way Star Wars does.

Don't me wrong, Davis did a great job on The Matrix and his score is amazing. But I think Zimmer could have done that score and the film would have been just as successful.

12 hours ago, Mephariel said:

Star Wars will be fine with Williams

Well now, yes.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Even films like Jaws and CE3K, where is the score is iconic and closely tied to the film, don't owe their sucess to the soundtrack the way Star Wars does.

Yeah I disagree with this. 

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah I still disagree. 

Jaws, CE3K and Raiders are all well-crafted films in their own right. Star Wars is a bit of a mess. The score is the magic ingredient that makes that film work. Its transcendent.

Do Jaws, CE3K and Raiders owe a big part of their success to the score? Of course. But not to the level that Star Wars does. If Goldsmith scores the Spielberg films I still think those are successful films. Perhaps not as successful, and the scores might not be as iconic, but the films would still work. I'm not even saying Star Wars is a better score than any of those. But it's absolutely crucial to that film's success. John Williams saved Star Wars, in every way a film can be saved.

I know, I know, you still disagree.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I mostly disagree about Jaws. It's JW's music that made it menacing.

It's also an ingenious play with audience expectations and leitmotifs that makes is a vital component of the film's effect.

I’d say a score is rarely, if ever, responsible for a film’s success.

For it’s quality and effectiveness? Sure. But no one, besides some folks on a message board, are going to not see The Matrix 4 because Don Davis isn’t writing the music.