The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

Wonder what they'll call this one and whether they'll stick to the "Re" template.

The Matrix Repopulated?

The Matrix Reiterated?

The Matrix Regenerated?

The Matrix Reinstituted?

The Matrix Regurgitated?

• 1 month later...

Looks like Johnny Klimek & Tom Tykwer are scoring this

Source: https://www.linkedin.com/in/phillip-klimek-44716197/

AARP Productions GmbH
Studio Assistant
2019 - Present

Berlin, Germany

Creating audio samples for composer Johnny Klimek & Tom Tykwer during the production of The Matrix 4

I quite liked their score for Cloud Atlas, particularly the Cloud Atlas Sextet. Obviously Davis would be much better, and I wonder if they'll try to emulate his style at all?

Speaking of Davis' score, I recently purchased the Omni Publishing book of it, and it's insanely dense. Gobsmacked at how the orchestra could sight-read so many of those ostinati. Great stuff.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Just as I imagined, no Don Davis.

Boooooo!

It wouldn't matter too much if the original trilogy didn't have much of a musical identity of its own.... but.... it does.

Sad news.

I wanted Davis like everyone else, but when that's not the case, you could do far worse than have Klimek and Tykwer onboard (poor Heil is left out of the band this time).

I also wanted Davis to return to this, but I really like some of the music this two have done together, especially Cloud Atlas and Perfume. I love how the choir is used in this last one.

I guess I will give them the benefit of the doubt

I mean, this decision could at least indicate that part 4 is not just going to be pure fan service. As probably this decision might be rather director driven and not producer driven I respect that. I still consider Lana Wachowski a visionary film maker. And she made the other ones, too. 

And yes, I would have been looking forward to another Matrix score by Davis. But I also must admit, that now I am a little bit more curious about what the music is going to be than I would have been with another Davis score. 

I did some research a while back before publishing my Don Davis interview. The chances were very slim for Davis to return. I still had a slimmer of hope of Giacchino getting the assignment, which apparently is not going to happen.

21 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I mean, this decision could at least indicate that part 4 is not just going to be pure fan service.

I dunno, is bringing back a composer for a fourth film, after that composer did the first three, really fan service? It seems like a basic way to maintain consistency from the existing films.

Davis' scores were as intrinsic to the soundscape of the Matrix films as Williams' for Star Wars.

Frankly I've lost hope that Lana Wachowski is doing this for the right reasons. There were already red flags with Lilly bailing and Weaving & Fishburne's snubs.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I dunno, is bringing back a composer for the fourth film in a series, after that composer did the original 3 scores, really "fan service"?

Davis' scores were as intrinsic to the soundscape of the Matrix films as Williams' music for Star Wars.

Don't twist my words. I said, not bringing back Davis is an indication for the film not being pure fan service. That does not mean that bringing Davis in means that the movie is going to be pure fan service.

It just shows additional motivation to go new ways, like they did with the first film, with each of the three films.

10 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Didn't even die hard MATRIX fans hate the last one?

Yes. And it had a Don Davis score.

I always thought, from the last two they should have made all the action sequnces half as long and make just one movie out of the two films.

It's just as well that I don't have to try to care about the score to this movie (I also hope to avoid having to care about the movie itself). I love Matrix but the series has been the definition of diminishing returns. I enjoy Davis' music, he wrote a ton of Matrix music already, so I'm happy to let sleeping dogs lie.

Problem is, Davis has been ostracized from Hollywood for some reason, despite writing the classic Matrix scores. No one hires him anymore. The Matrix 4 was his big chance of getting back to score a popular blockbuster again. This is enfuriating. 

Not sure which is worse. Davis not being asked back for Matrix, or Arnold not being asked back for ID42 or Bond? Downright awful decisions. 

And don't get me started on Potter and Williams, Kraemer and Mission Impossible... the list goes on. 

There'd probably be dimishing returns at some point, but I really feel like he should have been asked to score No Time To Die after things didn't work out with Dan Romer.  Let him finish the Craig era after starting it, and in the 12 years between Quantum of Solace and NTTD he probably had a corker of a finale in him

How many did Barry do?

I like a composer to be involved to the extent that he or she leaves behind a legacy, but I wouldn't want him or her to go on forever. That being said, I've been kinda underwhelmed with Newman's efforts for the last two, so with Arnold absent, let's hope Zimmer brings something good to the table. I have faith in the Zimmer! Always!

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

How many did Barry do?

1. From Russia with Love (1963)
  2. Goldfinger (1964)
  3. Thunderball(1965)
  4. You Only Live Twice (1967)
  5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
  6. Diamonds Are Forever (1971)
  7. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)
  8. Moonraker (1979)
  9. Octopussy (1983)
  10. A View to a Kill (1985)
  11. The Living Daylights (1987)

22 minutes ago, Thor said:

How many did Barry do?

I like a composer to be involved to the extent that he or she leaves behind a legacy, but I wouldn't want him or her to go on forever. That being said, I've been kinda underwhelmed with Newman's efforts for the last two, so with Arnold absent, let's hope Zimmer brings something good to the table. I have faith in the Zimmer! Always!

"He or she"? "Him or her"? 😂

11 minutes ago, Ricard said:

"He or she"? "Him or her"? 😂

Ha, ha. Yes, I was speaking in general terms. You never know who the next composer will be, gender-wise.

38 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I think Arnold turned down ID42.

😅

David Arnold, composer of the score to the first film, said on his Twitter account he was not asked to score to the sequel and that since the studio owns his themes for the first film, the new composers could use them.

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not sure which is worse. Davis not being asked back for Matrix, or Arnold not being asked back for ID42 or Bond? Downright awful decisions. 

And don't get me started on Potter and Williams, Kraemer and Mission Impossible... the list goes on. 

Easily Davis. There is legacy of changing musical traditions for Bond. I certainly don't need or want 20 Arnold Bond scores. 

Whereas Davis' sound is integral to the Matrix universe. And due to the sophisticated nature of the music writing itself, it would probably be tough to replicate for most average film composers.

It's more like Williams + Star Wars or Shore + Middle-Earth

21 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

It was a low budget, cash grab.

They couldn't afford him.

Um, if most of your recent output has been on TV, how expensive are you exactly?

And Resurgence is as much of a Hollywood film as every other blockbuster these days, so I sincerely doubt money was an issue (especially if more sequels were on the cards).

I remain the only JWFan excited for this movie regardless of who scores it?

Admittedly, Lana directing it by herself is a bit strange, but the Wachowskis have never not been at least interesting.  I loved Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas both.

BOUND - loved it

THE MATRIX - loved it

MATRIX RELOADED - was confused by it

MATRIX REVOLUTIONS - don't remember much about it

SPEED RACER - never saw it

CLOUD ATLAS - never saw it

JUPITER ASCENDING - liked it

SENSE8 - never saw it

WORK IN PROGRESS - never saw it

Basically apart from BOUND being a good movie (well, at least when I saw it 25 years ago I thought it was good, no idea how my current self would think about it) and all three MATRIX scores being incredible (and Jupiter Ascending's score being pretty cool too), I haven't been compelled to follow their career with much interest.  

I don't even know how I'd feel about the first MATRIX film if I were to revisit it now!  Is it available in high def without the awful green tint they added later?