The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

Neo is a Jesus analogue, so it makes some sense.

EDIT: Trailer description

The trailer opens up with Neil Patrick Harris talking to Keanu Reeves in a therapy session in a future version of San Francisco. It seems that Neo is trapped back in the fake world, much like he was before he entered the Matrix, but he is feeling that something is off, he’s not quite comfortable with where he’s at. Reeves asks, “Am I crazy,” to which Harris responds, “We don’t use that word in here.”

We then cut to a scene where Neo comes in contact with Carrie Anne Moss’ Trinity in a cafe and she asks, “Have we met?” There is obviously something going on here where they are slowly realizing they are trapped in the Matrix, a world where they don’t belong.

There’s a shot of blue pills spilling in a sink, and at the same time, Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” song is playing. At one point there’s a shot of Neo looking at himself in a mirror and his reflection begins to distort and turn into an old man.

There’s a part where Neo is looking into the sky watching a flock of birds flying around as he tries to analyze it. We then see him in an elevator with a group of people on their phones, and he is looking at the reflection of everyone looking at their screens.

Things take a hard turn here, and a younger Morpheus played by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II shows up telling Neo that it’s “time to fly” and then hands him a red pill. Neo also meets a person with blue hair who has a tattoo of a rabbit and they end up walking through a mirror.

He ends up in a dojo, which is on a lake, with Abdul-Mateen’s young Morpheus character and he says, “The only thing that matters to you is still here. You’ll never give up.” Then they start to spar, and at one point Neo hits this Morpheus character super hard in the chest sending him flying out of the room.

From here, there are some wicked cool and explosive fight action sequences, you know, like you’d expect to see from a Matrix movie!

So much action, so many radical visuals flying into my eyeballs! It was a lot and hard to take all of it in, but there is some cool stuff here that is going to once again raise the bar in visuals for movies and fight scenes. Neo and Trinity end up escaping the Matrix and end up back in the real world, though, where they are continuing their fight. We just don’t know exactly for what yet.

There’s a shot of Neo and the blue-haired character on a train, and a sniper from afar fires a bullet at them and it flies through the train toward them. Some of the visuals we see are fields of people plugged into the Matrix. A shot of Trinity being unplugged in the Matrix. At one point the blue-haired character jumps over a car in slow motion. We see Neo holding bullets in the air. There’s a helicopter that launches a missile at Neo and Trinity. While that happens Neo changes its direction mid-air and shoots it into another helicopter.

The final shot is of Neo in an office with a man in a business suit who is played by Jonathan Groff. He says, “You’re going back to where it all started. Back to the Matrix.”

Source

It stood to reason the Machines just plugged Neo back into the Matrix. Gutted that they're actually going with a young Morpheus instead of getting Laurence Fishburne back.

WB will probably release this trailer publicly soon, though why it hasn't already been released, IDK.

53 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

WB will probably release this trailer publicly soon, though why it hasn't already been released, IDK.

Indeed. Just get it out already. Browsing through Youtube videos of fake trailers and fan reactions to it and whatnot is annoying.

Also, do we still have zero clue as to who the composer of the film is? It's looking unlikelt to be Don Davis unfortunately, and likely to be Twiker/Klimek. But there's been nothing official confirming anything as far as I know.

It's possible. Though it could just be that LinkedIn can be a mess to navigate sometimes. I swear, it's trying to be more like Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, isn't this a blast from the past? A film that is not Star Wars has an official website. Not only that: this was the same URL used for the official website for the original trilogy.

https://www.whatisthematrix.com/

Nothing but the scrolling code at the moment, but this does suggest WB is preparing to market the film.

EDIT: After the announcement of the trailer for Thursday, they updated the site. Apparently it will show you a different set of clips based on the time of day and whether you pick red or blue pill. Also, they spent time recording the two actors voicing hours and minutes :lol:

This sucks

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/09/07/johnny-klimek-tom-tykwer-scoring-lana-wachowskis-the-matrix-resurrections/

"Yeah, but you knew this was likely."

Sure. doesn't change that it's the lamest thing ever. Would've been the one promising thing about the movie.

Now that does suck. Was hoping for a Davis/Juno Reactor reunion.

I hope they at least keep Davis' theme, even if they have to track it in over the opening.

Some screens from the trailer, and my thoughts on them. I don't know the plot of the film, so all I have are guesses.

unknown.png

-Absoutely no way that's not young Morpheus. I can't wait to hear their justification for not bringing Laurence Fishburne back.

20210909_150224.jpgScreenshot_20210909-142930_YouTube.jpg
-Some people think this is an alternate sequel to the first film, partly because of the way WB is choosing to market the film (specifically and exclusively mentioning the first film). However... that's Agent Johnson from Reloaded, and Bane-scarred Neo from Revolutions. No reboot happening here.

Screenshot_20210909-143135_YouTube.jpg

-Neo seems to be having hallucinations that look a lot like a morph of his face with an old Agent Smith. Well, they do have their scans of Hugo Weaving from Reloaded, so if all Smith was needed for is a couple of hallucination shots, no wonder they didn't need Hugo Weaving. Having said that, look at Agent Johnson. He's in a black suit with angled sunglasses, instead of a dark green suit and square glasses. It suggests to me that Smith may be an undercurrent in the plot still - hidden in plain sight.

Screenshot_20210909-143017_YouTube.jpg

-Trinity is going to be reborn into the real world, so she's not just a simulacrum. Given her fatal wounding at the end of Revolutions, she's likely been given a newly-created body. Interesting that they did not do the same for Neo, but then again he doesn't need eyes to be a useful battery.

26 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

Some people think this is an alternate sequel to the first film

That would be most welcome, given that the first film is a flat-out sci-fi classic whose influence is on par with 2001, Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner. Whereas the second two films...are not.

I'm all for ignoring bad sequels.

1 minute ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

That would be most welcome, given that the first film is a flat-out sci-fi classic whose influence is on par with 2001, Star Wars, Alien and Blade Runner. Whereas the second two films...are not.

I'm all for ignoring bad sequels.

You're going to be sorely disappointed, then 🤷‍♂️

47 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

You're going to be sorely disappointed, then 🤷‍♂️

We'll see. Even if they don't flat state it, my guess is that it will functionally act as a direct sequel to the first film. The nature of the plot and the mechanics of the Matrix itself makes these films especially suited to do something like that. The fact that a couple familiar faces from the sequels might pop up really doesn't change that.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does this new movie use the plots from the video games or ignore them? 

Not known for sure. Probably not, TBH (Trinity's consciousness survived in the Matrix one of the games, for instance).

The trailer looks good. There is color ! Though I also had some unwelcome reminiscences from Jupiter Ascending.

20 minutes ago, crumbs said:

How unsurprising they're still happy to use Davis' iconic music to sell the film, while shafting the composer himself. 

Yeah, it feels a little like adding insult to injury. But in the end I was quite glad to hear his music. 

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Dark Fate was fine. Genisys was the steaming pile of shit.

I can agree with you on that, but it seems those who hate Dark Fate have louder voices.

I appreciate that they picked a classic song for this trailer and just used it straight-up rather than doing a slow piano cover

Cool trailer, I'm not expecting a typical reboot from a Wachowski. I suppose it'll be weirder than Force Awakens and not quite as weird as Twin Peaks: The Return.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

It looks like a Tony Scott movie.

It looks awesome is how it looks. One of the best, most effective trailers I’ve ever seen. At least in recent memory.

Seriously, Hollywood, take note. You want to get people excited for your products? THAT’s how it’s done.