The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

On 1/15/2021 at 7:04 AM, crumbs said:

Not sure which is worse. Davis not being asked back for Matrix, or Arnold not being asked back for ID42 or Bond? Downright awful decisions. 

And don't get me started on Potter and Williams, Kraemer and Mission Impossible... the list goes on. 

The only one that is awful is Arnold not being back for ID42. That score was such a iconic one for him, he should be ask to do another one.

Bond should a franchise that switches composer. To me that is what makes the Bond franchise interesting. It is kind of like how over the years, so many different actors have played him. It allows for endless comparisons. Besides, that is how you give other composers a chance. I am not a huge fan of Pemberton, but imagine him getting Bond and knock it out of the ballpark. The film music world needs stories like that. 

Kraemer's MI was ok, and like Bond, I like the idea of a revolving group of composers. Potter not finishing with Williams is unfortunate, but really only because his replacement was Desplat and not someone more exciting for that type of effort. At the end of the day, William had 3 Potter scores. And his absence gave us the spectacular Doyle score. 

The Matrix is another franchise that I don't mind a fresh start. I feel like there are numerous ways you can musically interpret that world. 

On 9/7/2021 at 11:08 AM, Giftheck said:

Now that does suck. Was hoping for a Davis/Juno Reactor reunion.

I hope they at least keep Davis' theme, even if they have to track it in over the opening.

I hope not. I mean I am fine if they did, but what is the point of getting new composers if they have to reused the other composer's themes? I get it if it is like Bond or Star Wars, but Matrix's theme is nowhere near that iconic. 

7 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

It looks awesome is how it looks. One of the best, most effective trailers I’ve ever seen. At least in recent memory.

Seriously, Hollywood, take note. You want to get people excited for your products? THAT’s how it’s done.

It doesn't look special or distinctive. You could always recognize a Matrix movie because of the way it looks. If somebody told me this is the latest James Cameron or Tony Scott* movie, I would believe it.

But maybe that's what you guys prefer. 

*Yes, I know he's dead. 

On 9/10/2021 at 5:47 AM, Mephariel said:

The only one that is awful is Arnold not being back for ID42.

That film falls into the "sequels to ignore" category for me, and while Arnold's original score is excellent, I can't say I was devastated that he didn't return to the material.

I agree with you about the Bond films, and I also think the Matrix is a franchise uniquely suited to "reboot" the score. Perhaps this version of the matrix should sound different.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:42 AM, AC1 said:

It doesn't look special or distinctive.

It looks great, but I was referring more to how well the trailer was put together. And while there are clearly some stylistic similarities, the cinematography looks a lot more colourful in this film vs. the original.

3 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

It looks great, but I was referring more to how well the trailer was put together. And while there are clearly some stylistic similarities, the cinematography looks a lot more colourful in this film vs. the original.

In the original movies they had this green filter in the matrix, blue filter in the real world. This time it actually looks more colorful. 

Anyone else get the impression that Neo will be a successful tech titan in the matrix? That's what I'm getting from some of those shots. Perhaps the logical progression of Thomas Anderson had he never been unplugged and continued his life as a programmer. Maybe that's something the machines figure out...that when people are comfortable and privileged, they're less likely to see something wrong with the world and question the rules. But while Neo's now successful, he's given up on his life and feels hollow.

Could also be why the matrix in general looks like a more colourful place to live.

For me the coolest thing about the Matrix movies was always the Wachowskis' conception of sentient computer programs (which is definitely why Reloaded is my favorite, since it's heaviest with that stuff).  I just want more of that.

It seems fun. Although I don't really like the look of it in parts, and the Alice in Wonderland trope does seem like such an obvious angle to hit.

But seems like it'll be super-meta with its mythology, which I'm down for.

Also see no good reason why Laurence Fishbourne couldn't have at least made an appearance in this.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

For me the coolest thing about the Matrix movies was always the Wachowskis' conception of sentient computer programs (which is definitely why Reloaded is my favorite, since it's heaviest with that stuff).  I just want more of that.

Is it safe to assume you're also a fan of the TRON films?

Yavar

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The Merovingian's girlfriend can be as sentient, with me, as she wants. Oh, boy! :)

13 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Other than aliens invading earth, isn't "sentient machines rise up against their creators" more or less the oldest and most used trope in science fiction?

Don't know if it's the oldest, but it's certainly one of my favorites. I love when movies/books/TV shows/etc make good use of this trope. 

I was one of the very few people on planet Earth who loved the first two seasons of HBO's Westworld!

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Don't know if it's the oldest, but it's certainly one of my favorites. I love when movies/books/TV shows/etc make good use of this trope. 

Battlestar Galactica (remake) and probably The Matrix did it best in my opinion. Not to mention Blade Runner.

14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I was one of the very few people on planet Earth who loved the first two seasons of HBO's Westworld!

I hear it was big hit with Alexa and Siri as well.

9 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Battlestar Galactica (remake) and probably The Matrix did it best in my opinion. Blade Runner as well.

Agreed.

I would also include The Second Reinassance - Parts 1 and 2, two of the shorts from The Animatrix. It's a haunting, dark tale about the rise of the machines in the Matrix universe.

Even though I started the Westworld thread at JWFAn, I really didn't like it, and stopped watching after S1. During the second season, many people came to realize the show wasn't good after all, and I thought to myself: "What took them so long?!" Others needed yet another season (S3) before it finally dawned on them too. 

I just did a marathon of all The Matrix movies + Animatrix with friends, and it has given me a very different perspective on The Matrix Resurrections trailer

I rescind the previous belief that I had, which is the trailer doesn't 'look like The Matrix', it had just been a while since I had actually seen any of the original movies and after them being fresh in my mind it totally looks like a proper sequel to them. Literally the only thing that is missing is the green tinge on the color grading that apparently wasn't even in the theatrical release.

It's funny because by the end of the first movie I was thinking "The Matrix 4 is fucked having to continue this" and that continued until Revolutions where it became a case of "This conclusion is really confusing and un-satisfying, I'm rooting for The Matrix 4 to actually wrap things up in a more satisfying way". Was surprised to find on re-watch that Reloaded is actually pretty on par with the original even if I do think the original is ultimately better, Revolutions really is the black sheep because that movie is just a mess. I don't know what the fuck happened behind the scenes because the movie came out in literally the same year Reloaded did so unless it was shot with a completely different crew I don't get why it feels so jank in comparison

The Matrix is probably one of the only franchises where going with a meta somewhat self-aware angle for your soft reboot/sequel is actually a rather perfect idea. The previous movies play a lot with the idea of perception and I have a feeling Resurrections is going to take that to the next level by having Neo's perception somewhat mirror our expectations for this movie in terms of bringing back familiar elements. For the audience it's nostalgia, for Neo it's remembering fragments of the past and re-discovering who he is as we also re-discover him as a character. Some very interesting things that can be done there, and my god am I ready for a soft reboot to actually push the format forward creatively instead of being for nostalgia bait and nothing else. 

I rewatched the series myself this week. While I can say Reloaded slipped slightly in my estimations when I rewatched it, Revolutions actually rose. It doesn't answer all the questions it needed to answer, and I have my suspicions as to why that might be, but somewhere in there is a decent 80-minute film. The first and final acts were good, it was just everything between dragged.

I saw Reloaded and Revolutions on the same day. I thought "well, that sucked". Then a couple years later I gave them both another chance and came way thinking I was a little harsh in my initial assessment. Finally, shortly after they announced Resurrections I went back and checked them out again and realized I was right the first time. The sequels just suck. I don't like the entire approach they took to the story after the first one.

And it's amazing to me how utterly unsatisfying Revolutions is as an ending. Just leaves me completely cold.

Anyone else thinks, they should have cut the action scenes in the sequels to at least half as long and therefore merge 2 and 3 into one long movie. I think, that would have been a better sequel. But even this way I liked the sequels. And the Animatrix as well.

I really hope they don't go too far down the "meta" road.

I mean, if they're just referencing things from the other films, that's one thing and to be expected. But if it's something like Neo invented a VR video game based on The Matrix (i.e. people are playing The Matrix within the matrix), or the Matrix movies themselves somehow exist within the matrix itself, well that will be too clever by half and let's just say I'll be very disappointed if they go that route.

5 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I really hope they don't go too far down the "meta" road.

I mean, if they're just referencing things from the other films, that's one thing and to be expected. But if it's something like Neo invented a VR video game based on The Matrix (i.e. people are playing The Matrix within the matrix), or the Matrix movies themselves somehow exist within the matrix itself, well that will be too clever by half and let's just say I'll be very disappointed if they go that route.

There are screens replaying The Matrix in the trailer, so it stands to reason it exists as some form of entertainment in that world. To what end, we don't yet know.

5 minutes ago, Giftheck said:

There are screens replaying The Matrix in the trailer, so it stands to reason it exists as some form of entertainment in that world. To what end, we don't yet know.

Yes, I saw that, but I'm hoping it's just depicting past events from Neo's other itinerations and not the actual film. Obviously its hard to say not knowing the context of what we saw.

That said, I can easily see them thinking doing something so stupid and self-reverential is a clever idea.

7 hours ago, Giftheck said:

To be fair there is precedent for this, namely in the Architect’s TV room in Reloaded.

9 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Am I the only one that thinks it looks awful? Makes me think of those cheap-ass Netflix original films.

It looks more like John Wick than The Matrix.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

It looks more like John Wick than The Matrix.

On this I can agree. But that’s just because Keanu must have some sort of contractual obligation to keep long hair while the JW saga is ongoing. Agreed it does not look like neo. 

20 minutes ago, toothless said:

On this I can agree. But that’s just because Keanu must have some sort of contractual obligation to keep long hair while the JW saga is ongoing. Agreed it does not look like neo. 

The likeness doesn't stop with Keanu's appearance. Look at the gold touches in the background of these photo. Is it The Matrix or is it John Wick? The line is blurring ...

19377_1.jpg

screen_shot_2019-05-22_at_11.04.39_am.pn

Heck, even John Wick does the old Matrix better than the new Matrix:

2021.04.08-10.21-boundingintocomics-606e

Haha true! But if John Wick can get inspired by Matrix, I don't see why Matrix couldn't get inspired by John Wick :) Also, the matrix in the trailer is a new rebooted one, lik eseen at the end of the third film :)