The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

It was so much better than The Phantome Menace!

A lot better, to be honest.

Actually I think that, as flawed as Reloaded and Revolutions are, the Matrix trilogy is better than the Prequel Trilogy.

(both pale in comparison with LOTR though)

Yep, definitely wouldn't have been this sour if the film was at least an ambitious failure.

There's just an intangible boredom to proceedings (reminiscent of Crystal Skull) where you get the sense nobody was particularly invested in making the film.

Around the point Neo gets "arrested" in Io, only to be "rescued" minutes later via his balcony, only for their ship to be found and sent back to Io yet again, I started having flashbacks to TROS (where you're watching a succession of... things happening, but nothing holds any weight or consequence, and there's only a wafer-thin story holding things together).

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Is this similar to the first Jurassic World, where the movie tries to make a meta-commentary about reboots and sequels (no one is impressed by a dinosaur anymore, so they build a new one that's deadlier) but then becames pretty much the thing they were trying to mock?

Yep, I made the exact same comparison on the Discord. They spend the first act mocking Hollywood's obsession with remakes/reboots/re-imaginings, then proceed to do exactly the thing they're satirizing.

The thing about that comparison is that JW gets derided for being so derivative, yet Resurrections is getting praise in some circles for being so meta and uncaring about how it's perceived. Throw aside any possible social reasons, why do you think this particular film has its defenders already? I call bullshit on the notion that it's being largely derided, since a 67% rating is more mixed than outright trashed.

20 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

The best post credits scene is, without a shadow of a doubt, FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF.

I don't mind that sort of post credits scene, per se. One last joke, as it were. I do hate the ones that exist to set up the next installment

Seems word of mouth spread quickly.

Not faring as well was “The Matrix Resurrections” which is on track for $11.3 million over Friday-Sunday and $21.8 million over Wednesday-Sunday – the latter nearly half of the $40 million figure the studio was estimating last week for the five day.

In fact, this last of the theatrical-day-and-date Warner Bros. event titles to simultaneously hit HBO Max performed worse on the three-day than the first of those dual releases – “Wonder Woman 1984”. That film took in $16.7 million over the three-day Xmas weekend in 2020 and that was with significantly more cinemas being closed.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/spidey-sing-fly-as-matrix-kings-fizzle/

On 23/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, Bespin said:

Oh, just remember me, the first movie was directed by The Wachowski brothers, and this new movie is directed by The Wachowski sisters, right?

They are a big family.

It's got to be one of the more extreme examples of wanting the same thing as your sibling. 

On 23/12/2021 at 11:59 AM, Bespin said:

Oh, just remember me, the first movie was directed by The Wachowski brothers, and this new movie is directed by The Wachowski sisters, right?

They are a big family.

Well, there are four Wachowski sisters.

5 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

It's got to be one of the more extreme examples of wanting the same thing as your sibling. 

I thought they might be twins but they are not. The hot one is two years younger. 

I've just seen it. Well, for a moment it felt like it could be going somewhere. Until it didn't. It's funny how by the end of the film it becomes exactly what it is mocking at the beginning. I'd rather they stuck with the first act premise. That at least would have been something. It would piss a lot of people off, true... But it still would have been something. Sort of like the unfulfilled concept of the Architect in the second movie. What we ultimately got is, I'm afraid, more of the same. But longer and even more bogged down by clumsy exposition. 

Karol

It's really funny that John Wick director Chad Stahelski plays a character named Chad in this movie. 

There are ideas in this movie that are genuinely interesting but it becomes so obsessed with becoming a Matrix film for everyone that ot ends up being really confused and cluttered. And action is really pedestrian. 

The score was very poor. I've not heard any of it before seeing the film. It wasn't up to the standard set out by the previous three. 

Karol

The movie got some positive reviews. But probably, it is the kind of blockbuster sequels that is liked by the same type of critics, who liked The Last Jedi.

By the way, one thing I really liked about the old movies on one complete dvd edition there was an audio comment of a group of critics, that didn't like the sequels. That was one of the best audio comment tracks on a DVD I ever heard and a really cool action by the filmmakers to add that. Of course there was a track too die a group that Lo CD liked the movies.

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

The movie got some positive reviews. But probably, it is the kind of blockbuster sequels that is liked by the same type of critics, who liked The Last Jedi.

I was thinking the same. Both movies seems to trigger similar reactions. 

23 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As if the film didn't already make that obvious in the first dialogue between Smith and Neo, and the fact that news came that WB were developing multiple Matrix projects before Resurrections was announced. However... they probably wouldn't have gotten Keanu Reeves or Carrie-Anne Moss on board if they did. Double-edged sword in their case.

EDIT: Lana Wachowski also hid a dig at the film's marketing in The Matrix Awakens. Sounds like WB promised her full creative control, and marketing decided otherwise.

Seen it and it's okay I guess, some nice stuff in the first two acts of the movie before a ridiculous third act.

The first one is still the only good one, while the story of Resurrections is more interresting than the two previous one, it's visually far less interresting

Finally where's Don Davis beautiful score? I think it was the biggest weakness of the movie, what a boring and insipid score compared to the three previous

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

Finally where's Don Davis beautiful score? I think it was the biggest weakness of the movie, what a boring and insipid score compared to the three previous

As somebody who liked the film: yeah, this is really the biggest sin it commits. Klimek and Tykwer do their best, but they just can't rise to the level that Davis achieved in his Matrix scores. I cannot remember a thing about the film's score beyond the quotes from Davis' music, and the staccato strings piece when Neo fights Smith. There's nothing memorable about this score.

If they stayed within the concept introduced in the first act it would have made some sense to switch the style. But it doesn't for the rest of the film. It even would make sense that it only kind of sounds like Davis in the opening sequence. 

Karol

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Do we know why Lana didn't ask Davis if he wanted to score it? 

I read somewhere that Davis was supposed to score Speed Racer but had problems with the sisters and then was replaced by Giacchino.

But still, they could've find a way to work together again, like Peter Jackson and Howard Shore on The Hobbit. Don't know why they didn't 

On the filmtracks message board, there was mention of Doug Adams alluding/speculating somewhere that Davis clashed with the Wachowskis a lot during the production of Reloaded/Revolutions, suggesting a fallout over what each party felt was right for the films. There was also mention of Don allegedly being bipolar, but neither of these had sources cited to back them up.

2 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Davis clashed with the Wachowskis a lot during the production of Reloaded/Revolutions, suggesting a fallout over what each party felt was right for the films. 

That is probably correct to some degree, at least in Reloaded's case. Just look at the Burly Brawl and the Chateau Swashbuckling sequences for example, in which Davis' original cues were rejected in favor of collaborations between him and electronic artists.

That said, I thought Revolutions was a bit easier for him. Aside from a gunfight at the Merovingian's club in the beginning and the (awful) end credits remix, the rest of the movie pretty much belongs to Davis. It was his big shot at writing an epic score for choir and orchestra, and he delivered on it.

Watched this tonight - it was okay.  I had no problems with the brief flashes of the old movies.   I enjoyed the early parts more than the post-Neo-extraction stuff, mainly because I find a lot of action kind of numbing, but the motorcycle chase through swarms and dive bombers was pretty good.

FSM's own Lukas Kendall posted an analysis about not just Resurrections but the Matrix franchise in general, on his blog. And it nails the description of the problem that I always had with the Zion sequences: they're so dramatically inert!

On 31/12/2021 at 5:57 PM, Van_Etten said:

Because he's not her buddy anymore as well as few other people who worked on the trilogy and Lana only likes to stick to her new buddies since Cloud Atlas.

Tykwer and Klimek actually wrote a cue in The Matrix Revolutions.

A big problem in Resurrections is that Neo has so much dialog, accompanied with displaying emotions, that it requires him to sort of act. Bad mistake! In the old Matrix movies Neo was nothing more than the silent neutral archetype with a cool style and attitude which the Wachowskis used to his advantage because they were aware of his limitations as an actor. The result is that Resurrections is filled with truly embarrassing moments. 

On 01/01/2022 at 12:14 AM, Edmilson said:

That is probably correct to some degree, at least in Reloaded's case. Just look at the Burly Brawl and the Chateau Swashbuckling sequences for example, in which Davis' original cues were rejected in favor of collaborations between him and electronic artists.

That said, I thought Revolutions was a bit easier for him. Aside from a gunfight at the Merovingian's club in the beginning and the (awful) end credits remix, the rest of the movie pretty much belongs to Davis. It was his big shot at writing an epic score for choir and orchestra, and he delivered on it.

Yeah - I could see this being true on Reloaded, but Revolutions has almost no music by anyone other than Davis, not even needledrops as frequent the first two.

comicbookmovie is a pants site. I mean look at this trash.

A wholly unnecessary epilogue to The Matrix trilogy, Resurrections retreads old ground, delivers mediocre action, and proves itself a tough pill to swallow despite a decent enough love story that, alone, isn't enough to justify revisiting this franchise. Time for a reboot.

Love or loath the film, way to play into what the film was making fun of. Unneccessary though a sequel may have been (and I say that as somebody who likes the film), a reboot would be so, so much worse. Leave the series alone at this point and do something new.

On another note: I wonder if Warner Bros. agreed to give Lana full creative control, and then decided to interfere based on what marketing thought were good ideas. There is a dig at marketing interference in The Matrix Awakens. Moral of the story is that it's probably a bad idea to force a movie to be made by committee.

Asked by THR at the San Francisco premiere whether she would make more Matrix films, Lana smiled and held a moment of silence before bowing out. “I’ll shuffle down now,” she said, playfully ending the interview and moving on to the next green carpet chat.

I think the answer is quite clear: she's done with this series.

15 hours ago, AC1 said:

A big problem in Resurrections is that Neo has so much dialog, accompanied with displaying emotions, that it requires him to sort of act. Bad mistake! In the old Matrix movies Neo was nothing more than the silent neutral archetype with a cool style and attitude which the Wachowskis used to his advantage because they were aware of his limitations as an actor. The result is that Resurrections is filled with truly embarrassing moments. 

You could make this argument for The Matrix, but certainly not for Reloaded and especially Revolutions where there’s quite a bit of emotional material given to Neo.

You’re also really underselling how much dialogue Neo has in the first film, it wasn’t that he was silent it was that he was quite introverted and would only use a few words when he did speak.

Can you think of an instance in Resurrections where he speaks more than you think Neo should? Because nothing seemed off in his portrayal to me, one of the few parts of the movie that I thought actually worked.

3 hours ago, Giftheck said:

I think the answer is quite clear: she's done with this series.

I mean it was clear since 2003 when the trilogy ended. The meta conversations in the first act is Lana literally talking shit about Warner Bros. They told her they were going to do a fourth film with or without the Wachowskis, so she decided to come back, Lilly didn’t.

Spoiler

It’s clear there’s nothing left to tell in this universe since they essentially remade the first film, down to the same ending and end credits song. There’s no stakes, there’s no reason to even bring Neo and Trinity out of the matrix, and even Smith has no reason to be there and even simply disappears at some point in the final act.

6 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

You could make this argument for The Matrix, but certainly not for Reloaded and especially Revolutions where there’s quite a bit of emotional material given to Neo.

You’re also really underselling how much dialogue Neo has in the first film, it wasn’t that he was silent it was that he was quite introverted and would only use a few words when he did speak.

Can you think of an instance in Resurrections where he speaks more than you think Neo should? Because nothing seemed off in his portrayal to me, one of the few parts of the movie that I thought actually worked.

Yes, I was mainly thinking of the first movie. So there's no difference? To me there was. I blame it on how dialog and emotion completely replaced style and poses, which Lana got rid of as if that was her sister's specialty. No particular moment comes to mind. It's how Neo communicates to the audience throughout the entire length of the movie. It's all I saw (or heard). It's all I got from it. Maybe it's because Keanu tries harder, I dunno. But you liked his acting, huh?