The Matrix Resurrections (Fourth Matrix film)

Giftheck

Keanu was awful in this film, but it's not like he's ever been Daniel Day Lewis (in the prior films especially). 

The difference was the directors understood his limitations and wrote accordingly on the trilogy. Here? Not so much. Neo isn't supposed to be a talky, exposition dump character. 

15 hours ago, AC1 said:

Yes, I was mainly thinking of the first movie. So there's no difference? To me there was. I blame it on how dialog and emotion completely replaced style and poses, which Lana got rid of as if that was her sister's specialty. No particular moment comes to mind. It's how Neo communicates to the audience throughout the entire length of the movie. It's all I saw (or heard). It's all I got from it. Maybe it's because Keanu tries harder, I dunno. But you liked his acting, huh?

I liked his acting insofar that I was convinced this was the same character from the trilogy

• 2 weeks later...

There were some nice ideas in the movie. But then, they had some really good ideas in 2 and 3. And there were good ideas in SW prequels. It just doesn't say much. I forgot about this film almost instantly. 

Karol

Echoing Karol here, I like the ideas and I admire its heart. But the filmmaking (re: the action, production design, vfx, etc) just felt surprisingly subpar. 

The Matrix holds up because aside from its core ideas, it's also just a fantastically staged genre film. 2, and to a lesser extent, 3, retained that style to much effectiveness, but that signature is sorely lacking here. A shame, because there is some potential in there.

Poor Keanu was indeed awkward. They gave him too much to do I suppose. There should have been more Carrie-Anne Moss.

I don't think she got to do the film she wanted to do in the end. Parts of it made it in, but I have this feeling that WB suckered her in with promises of full creative control, and then they pulled that rug out from underneath her once she signed the contract. It's why there's a dig at WB in the film, and at marketing in the VR experience she wrote.

I'm hearing people say 'this film flopped, time to reboot' quite a bit, and...

Look, I didn't want another film. I thought the idea was stupid. I gave this film a chance anyway and had a good time, and plenty of people had similar experiences. Plenty of people had the exact opposite experience. But the fact is that despite that, not nearly enough people went to see it to justify its existence. This film was... poorly-timed. WB stuck to its December release date despite the fact it was going to go up against a movie that is the first post-pandemic movie to cross the billion-dollar mark. It's also the last movie of their HBO Max same-day deal. It wouldn't have mattered if the movie was universally accepted: those two points alone show that the way they handled this move has got to be the dumbest way WB has ever handled its properties - it made sense at the start of the pandemic, but since theatres started reopening, this has inevitably hurt one movie after another, and to pit this film against Spider-Man was just plain ridiculous. Now that it is done, WB needs to let this franchise rest in peace.

Ironically, the film presents the best option for any sort of continuation: through video games. Enough people were highly impressed by that UE5 techo demo to start asking why there hasn't actually been a Matrix game since the MMORPG got shitcanned years ago (and coincidentally enough, that was supposed to be the way the story continued, with the blessing of the Wachowskis)

• 3 weeks later...

The first half of The Matrix 4 is actually a bit underrated, and those who keep saying they didn't understand what was going on in this movie, are not even smart anyway. So not a good critique.

Other than these points however, I agree with all the lukewarm reviews, but yes, an underrated first half.