Sony's Marvel Universe (Venom, Morbius, etc)

Giftheck

As comic books are for children, I think there's something generally valuable for children to be allowed to see comic book movies - even Venmo.  Everyone's lust for R-rated movies is bonkers to me, especially with the amount of stuff you can get away with in a PG-13 movie now.

• 1 month later...

I have to say, Leto is a much better fit for Morbius than he was for Joker. As to whether the film will be any good... yeah, I know, people will point out it's Sony, but I actually feel like I could give this a chance, despite being unwilling to initially, and I happen to be one of the folks who liked Venom.

Also, it looks like this will officially tie the Sony MU into the MCU.

The music is being composed by Jon Ekstrand. He seems to be something of an unknown but has worked with the director before.

I think Morpheus looks fine.  Like Venmo, maybe I'll see it someday, or maybe not.  Marvel won't consider it part of the MCU, no matter which ancillary characters from the MCU appear in it, so I wouldn't sweat too much about it.

• 3 months later...

A film adaption of the Maximum Carnage saga, with Carrion and Black Cat, Demogoblin, Shriek, Doppelganger, is still my secret wish. To have a Venom vs Carnage film without Spider-Man is a sin. 

But it's a Spider-Man story. 

Instead of inventing all kinds of nonsense for those Spider-Man movies, they should take the actual stories. 

I hate it when some movie guy takes source material and completely puts it upside down for the sake of "creativity". 

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a comic book story that was adaptable in a way that is truly faithful.  The 1990s Venmo/Carnage stuff is no exception, even without the additional contractual restriction re: Spider-man.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just found out that this cinematic universe has an official title: "Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters", or SPUMC

I'm not kidding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Universe_of_Marvel_Characters

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

If Sony was smart they would put all of their movies on Netflix, not just from 2022 - on.

If they were smart they would stop making shity Marvel movies by cutting them...

• 1 month later...

I'm actually already more entertained by the trailer for this film than I was for the trailer from the first film. Carnage looks pretty cool (I know some people wanted him to have black teeth like the earlier comics).

All I know is that it can't be possibly worst than the first movie... wait I thought it wasn't possible to make a worst superhero movie than Suicide Squad but they did. Damn I hope they don't prove me wrong again :lol:

I enjoyed the first movie a bit (only because of Tom Hardy) but this looks pretty good. I imagine they’re going to focus entirely on what people liked (Tom Hardy) and virtually nothing else from the first film, as they should.

And Carnage looks cool!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I love Carnage's look. I know some said he was basically a red Riot, but they've worked on the design and it definitely sticks true to the source material in a number of ways. I also like how Kasady basically 'transforms' into Carnage - it's very unlike Venom. Whereas Venom engulfs Eddie but it's clear Eddie is inside, Kasady is Carnage.

Also, I like the 'abusive partner' angle for Venom - that rings true to the comics too (if you're not up on your comics, Venom deliberately altered Eddie Brock's memory and gave him cancer in order to try and convince him to stay bonded)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why they want to delay it more. The movie looks like a bad sequel from the awful original movie. They can make as most reshoot as they want it will only be worst.

They should release it once and for all and forget about their Sony's Universe. Spider-Man must stay in the MCU!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 2:11 PM, Jay said:

I just found out that this cinematic universe has an official title: "Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters", or SPUMC

I'm not kidding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Pictures_Universe_of_Marvel_Characters

Sony changed the name

According to Variety, delay rumours for Venom 2 are not true

Sony recently pushed its other upcoming comic book feature, “Venom: Let There Be Carnage,” from September to October (although a studio insider says rumors the film will move further to 2022 are not true).

Source

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the post-credits scene of Venom 2 has leaked, and it reveals that

Spoiler

The Sony Marvel movies will do at least some form of a crossover with the MCU, as Holland's Spider-man is in the post-credits scene.