Sony's Marvel Universe (Venom, Morbius, etc)

Giftheck

With 50+ reviews so far, it seems the film currently has a 74% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. By this time, the previous film was already sitting around 30%.

‘Venom 2’ Team Investigated Reddit and Twitter to Ensure Carnage VFX Wouldn’t Upset Fans

It'd be cool if music editors for movies scored by Williams checked JWFan to ensure the music wouldn't be hacked to pieces and silenced by the sound effects.

Interesting, because I remember hearing complaints that Carnage was too big and he had white teeth and a tongue. Small details upset fanatics.

Having said that, Carnage has had all three of those things, at the same time I might mention, so... 🤷‍♂️

• 4 weeks later...

I actually think it doesn't look bad. It's just... confusing as to where this is supposed to be set. You got the Raimi Spider-Man on a wall mural, the Raimi Daily Bugle logo (with the MCU dailybugle.net URL beneath it), the TASM Oscorp logo, Vulture from the MCU, and references and allusions to Venom, which take place in an entirely different universe.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Tom Holland To Star As Spider-Man In Venom 3

No clue if this site is reputable or not

Some of their scoops include all future Marvel films receiving exclusive Disney+ releases instead of theatrical releases, James Spader returning in WandaVision, and ZSJL2 being in active development. So definitely not reliable.

I'm hearing talk about that, actually. Gonna spoiler what I've heard just in case, but...

Spoiler

Apparently NWH's mid-credits will be Eddie being sent back to the SMU, but leaving part of the Symbiote behind to attach to Spider-Man. When Spider-Man comes to blows with Venom, it'll be either the SMU Spider-Man played by Tom Holland vs SMU Venom, or the MCU versions of Spider-Man and Venom, with Eddie Brock played by Tom Hardy.

Stupid to set everything up that they have and then do that, right?

• 4 weeks later...

Both Venom movies are good dumb fun. I enjoyed them both. 

I just don’t know what to make of Morbius. I hate Leto so that doesn’t help. 

Aril Fool’s Day though. lol

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Madame Web is depicted as an elderly woman with myasthenia gravis and thus was connected to a life-support system that looked like a spider web. Due to her age and medical condition, Madame Web never actively fought any villains.

Interesting how the article sidesteps Julia Carpenter - which is the version of the character I think Dakota Johnson is playing.

NGL, I was hoping Silk would have been the first of the SSU's female superheroes. Though I'm not yet sure how they'll do that without alluding to a Spider-Man directly (seeing as how her origin is directly tied to his)

Morbius tidbits from scoopers:

-Morbius is set in its own universe away from both the MCU and Venom films

-Venom and Spider-Man references have been scrubbed from the film entirely

-Michael Keaton's scenes - heavily featured in the trailer - have been scrubbed save for a post-credits scene

Sony has removed every single reason to even entertain seeing this film. My curiosity regarding it has vanished. I have never actually hoped for a film to bomb before, but... yeah, hope Morbius bombs.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh. Why would Sony do all that? Could the scoopers be wrong? 

Anything is possible but those who have said this have a pretty good track record. It's also not unlike Sony - TASM2's trailers made Rhino seem at least partly more important than he was in the film, where he literally was just the villain at the end of the film and we didn't even get to see that fight. Not to even mention the changing of the setup for the Sinister Six that had the Venom Symbiote in the trailer but Ock's arms in the final film (IIRC)

Given TASM2 was going to end with Norman Osborn's head in a jar...... yeah this sounds exactly like the kind of thing Sony would do. Thing is: with how dedicated they are to still push other Spidey spin offs, this seems like a bizarre route to take (unless they realized like WB how forcing a cinematic universe will probably keep screwing them over).

They could make "Maleficent" or "Cruella" kind of films...where the villain is the protagonist and is not so villainous and they could have different spidermans (one universe for each villain) interacting with them, even some evil spidermans or something.

But just make them without even mention of spiderman...

It's like the joker, albeit a good film...a joker without batman is like, why dont make an original film with an original character...

I'm hearing that Spider-Man will be mentioned in the post-credits anmd no place else - and that Keaton is playing MCU Toomes - who got teleported over to the SSU by Strange's spell.

Uh... yeah, it doesn't work that way, Sony. Boy this is going to be a clusterfuck of a film.

They could have miles morales for these villain spinoff universe and leave hollands parker be in the mcu for ever.... 

Or make a third garfield film with these villains... 

Sony's execs are a bunch of idiots.

The main reason people would've bought a ticket to this is that if it had a meaningful connection with Spiderman (whoever version of the character). Nobody cares about Jared Leto as a vampire, they just want to see Spidey and the Spider-Verse. 

They better hope NWH made enough money for them to cover the huge financial loss that they will have with this movie.

Sony knew this movie was going to be a disaster both with critics and at the box office, so they distanced it from Spider-Man as much as possible so to not ruin their cash cow.

If at least this movie was "so bad it's good" like Venom, I could've given a chance to it. But apparently it takes itself very seriously, which removes much of the fun.

Now 17% from 183 reviews. So the amount of reviews have doubled and it's went up ... 1% as a result.

Strong whiff of 'Eh, might watch when it airs on UK network TV in a couple of years and I've had enough beers but I'm damned if I'm paying to see it' off of this, lol. 

I came across this essay on Hollywood Reporter about how terrible and toxic the discussion of superhero movies on social media has become. 

‘Morbius’ and When the Critical Consensus Bites

There’s nothing wrong with legitimate criticism or not liking a movie, but the reaction to the poorly reviewed Jared Leto started months before it even opened.

On 05/04/2022 at 11:09 AM, Edmilson said:

‘Morbius’ and When the Critical Consensus Bites

There’s nothing wrong with legitimate criticism or not liking a movie, but the reaction to the poorly reviewed Jared Leto started months before it even opened.

The most convincing proof that the months of negative hype are not the biggest reason this movie bombed: it has a C+ Cinemascore.  The people that get polled for the Cinemascore are the ones most likely to be really into this movie: they're rushing out to see it opening day despite the months of negative hype and they still gave it just a C+.  And you can also see on the daily box office that ticket sales dropped dramatically with each day of the opening weekend, a reliable sign of bad word-of-mouth.

This movie didn't bomb because of Twitter cynics, it bombed because it sucks.

Aparently Sony Music isn't even going to release the score album Ekstrand had assembled

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

Aparently Sony Music isn't even going to release the score album Ekstrand had assembled

I have no interest in seeing the movie but this is really unfortunate for the composer and a disrespectful decision on Sony's part.