Sony's Marvel Universe (Venom, Morbius, etc)

Giftheck

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I hope to be able to hear the Fabelmans' score; let's hope the movie doesn't bomb.   

I find that both of those are not mutually exclusive.

The soundtrack should be released.

The movie should also bomb, because I want Sony to learn a very important lesson about 'Behold: my stuff' films. Doesn't seem like they're going to, but one can hope.

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’m confused. What does Sony and Morbius have to do with Fabelmans?  What the heck does “Behold: My Stuff” mean?

I don't know about Fabelmans, but this is the reference

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/392054485515501578/959397477235175424/unknown.png

According to Jon Broxton, the Morbius score is what you'd expect for a movie like this, which means it sounds like an even more uninspired clone of Batman Begins. Plus a lot of industrial synths from horror movies.

Thank goodness I haven't wasted my time listening to it.

I wish this movie had been made 15-20 years ago. Maybe at least we would've gotten a Chris Young score for this movie.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stu said:

Who knows, I expected the Venom movies to be mega-flops (like Morbius later was) and they were both respectably minor hits

Venom has always been a fairly popular character, he's had several solo comicbook runs. I cannot say that for any of the other characters Sony has given movies to.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Morbius, Kraven, Venom, Carnage ...

Are they ever gonna do legit Spider-Man movies with those actual Spider-Man villains, or will they continue to degenerate Spider-Man into a whiny wimp whose movies are add-ons to the Avengers, with stories someone pulls out of his arse?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems Sony is on a real 'get MCU actors' kick. Chiwetel Ejiofor has been cast in Venom 3.

SOURCE

Can't wait to see which puddle of goo he's playing.

• 1 month later...

At this rate, is Spider-Man even going to have anybody decent left in his rogues gallery for the next trilogy?

Are you talking about how the MCU got Vulture and Mysterio (and I guess Green Goblin, Dock Ock, Sandman, and Electro), while Sony kept Venom, Carnage, Morbius, and Kraven for themselves?

Pretty much, yeah, though before NWH they were taking care to use villains not in previous films, and I expect they'll do that again with the next films. Kraven would have made a pretty good MCU Spider-Man villain. I can really only think of a few left (if you're not counting the Kingpin, who is really a shared villain). Mister Negative, Scorpion, maybe Hobgoblin. But I would actually expect Mister Negative to get his own film rather than serve as a Spider-Man villain.

I mean Kingpin was really just a Spider-Man villain for like 20 years before he got repurposed as the Daredevil big bad. Seems pretty obvious Spidey and Daredevil should team up against him at some point. They've also already teased Ned as the Hobgoblin when he made that crack about not wanting to go crazy and try to kill Peter like Tobey and Garfield's best friends did and let's not forget a bit of symbiote goo was left behind by Venom in the end credits scene, seemingly hinting at a different take on Venom in the MCU. My bet is Disney will go with the Flash Thompson version of Venom while Sony either continues building to their Sinister Six team-up or just finally gives up on it. With MJ at least temporarily out of the picture, it seems like a good opportunity to bring a female villain into the mix as well. I guess Black Cat isn't always a villain, but she could certainly fit that kind of role if TPTB wanted.

I actually kind of want Kingpin to be the bad guy of MCU Spider-Man 4, NGL. It'd be a great way to start a 'street-level Spider-Man' trilogy, that then builds up to the Black Suit and whatever Venom Spider-Man fights (Sony indicates they still want Tom vs Tom, and people expect Secret Wars to bring back a ton of non-MCU characters so I guess it's possible).

On a really-only-slightly-related note, I love how Sony is still insisting this is their Spider-Man universe... when they have yet to even introduce a Spider-Man into it. This will be, what, the fourth film in this particular franchise without Spider-Man appearing at all, and with only one or two mentions of the MCU Spider-Man (one which technically does not count because it happened in the MCU)

Given the update the movie got over its sound mix issues, I suspect the gag was accidentally reverted to an earlier version if the bunny ears was in the opening week. I did see it on the watch today, but I can't remember what it was on my first screening.

With the CG updates NWH got, Sony sure have gotten sloppy in putting out finished films.

• 4 months later...