What's your favourite John Williams SONG?

Thor

Well no, hard to find any pop songs from that era as good as that. But not just Beach Boys.  The Mamas & The Papas, The Turtles, The Association, Harpers Bizarre, The 5th Dimension.  Corny as hell, but I can't help liking those songs.

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well no, hard to find any pop songs from that era as good as that. But not just Beach Boys.  The Mamas & The Papas, The Turtles, The Association, Harpers Bizarre, The 5th Dimension.  Corny as hell, but I can't help liking those songs.

I think "Penelope" is even closer to a Beach Boys sound than "Guide for the Married Man" or "Not With My Wife You Don't", certainly as close Williams got. But yeah -- obviously miles away in terms of quality.

I don't expect John Williams to write a pop song as perfect as Brian Wilson can, and I don't expect Wilson to be able to write a film score as dense and intelligent as Williams.

easy:

When you're Alone.

By the way, i wouldn't include For Always because it wasn't composed as a song I assume.

It was just an afterthought to add lyrics for the album.

So, I wouldn't call this a John Williams song, the same way if someone adds lyrics to Schindler's List theme, I wouldn't call it then a John Williams song.

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

easy:

When you're Alone.

By the way, i wouldn't include For Always because it wasn't composed as a song I assume.

It was just an afterthought to add lyrics for the album.

So, I wouldn't call this a John Williams song, the same way if someone adds lyrics to Schindler's List theme, I wouldn't call it then a John Williams song.

As Townerfan has pointed out a couple of times, several of Williams' songs are "afterthoughts" this way, i.e. not written as songs, but turned into songs later on. Be that as it may, they're still very much songs. It's the end result that counts.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I actually like the singing on When You're Alone!

I would love it if we could have another recording with a professional singer, eg a soprano.

Just now, Thor said:

As Townerfan has pointed out a couple of times, several of Williams' songs are "afterthoughts" this way, i.e. not written as songs, but turned into songs later on. Be that as it may, they're still very much songs. It's the end result that counts.

Well, i strongly disagree.

When you start composing, it plays an important role if you know you're writing a song or a music theme, because the approach will be different.

But anyway.

I'm fairly certain that Williams has had a say in most, if not all of the tracks-turned-songs over the years. So it's not like it's just some random track turned into a song by someone else. As such, I think they very much qualify as Williams-penned songs. I wouldn't get too hung up in the unorthodox creation process. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I would love it if we could have another recording with a professional singer, eg a soprano.

Or anyone, for that matter, that isn't a 7 year old kid.  The tune is an extremely good one, nice little floating melody, but it grates my ears on the OST and skip it every time.

First time poster here, long time lurker.....

I just had to create an account to admonish you all!  Nobody here remembered "America, the Dream Goes On!"  Shame on everyone!!  :P:P:P

Seriously though, my favorites songs are probably "The Long Goodbye" and "If We Were in Love."

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

First time poster here, long time lurker.....

I just had to create an account to admonish you all!  Nobody here remembered "America, the Dream Goes On!"  Shame on everyone!!  :P:P:P

Seriously though, my favorites songs are probably "The Long Goodbye" and "If We Were in Love."

Yikes! You're right. Not Williams' shining hour, that song, but how could we forget it?!?

I've also added "We're Lookin' Good", even if I've never heard the version with the lyrics.

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Or anyone, for that matter, that isn't a 7 year old kid.  The tune is an extremely good one, nice little floating melody, but it grates my ears on the OST and skip it every time.

Really? It is perfect on the ost as it is, young girl singing. Like Stefancos said its very likeable. Nothing special if it would have been sung by the pro.

16 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Oh wait, did anyone mention "Cast a Christmas Spell"? I actually love that one even though I feel like I shouldn't.

Is that another song from HARRY POTTER? I already have "Christmas at Hogwarts" in the 'Borderline'.

The OST album track titled "Christmas at Hogwarts" combines 3 of Williams' compositions into one track:  the film cue "6M1 Hagrid's Christmas Tree" from 0:00-0:22, the SONG "6M1A-ALT Cast A Christmas Spell" from 0:18-1:33, and the film cue "6M2 Christmas Morning" from 1:33-end.  So the name of the SONG inside that combo track is technically (and legally) "Cast A Christmas Spell".

incidentally,  "Cast A Christmas Spell" was a replacement to replace the original 6M1A, which was the same melody played by a music box instead (no choir), titled "6M1A Christmas Music Box".

The final film uses portions of both version on 6M1A edited together, with the album as said using only the choir version and leaving the music box version officially unreleased.

I don't have my favourite song, because John Williams' music is too good to chose one, but my favourite songs are Summon The Heroes (Olympic Games 1996), Journey to the Island (Jurassic Park) and Star Wars Theme

40 minutes ago, Oskar's Music said:

I don't have my favourite song, because John Williams' music is too good to chose one, but my favourite songs are Summon The Heroes (Olympic Games 1996), Journey to the Island (Jurassic Park) and Star Wars Theme

:D

STAR WAAAARS, nothing but STAAAAR WARS....

Yeah, a great song.

OK, no one knows about "Remembering Munich".

What about "Presenting Bianca Castafiore"? Who composed that? (I'm too lazy to check my liner notes).

OK, I dragged my ass up to the CD shelf. The piece contains excerpts from Rossini and Gounod. No Williams.

17 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's an adaptation of Je Veux Vivre from Gounod's Romeo et Juliette. No original material in there.

You're so sexy when you speak french bloodboal.

My favourite songs would hae to be Star of Bethlehem (2015 LLL version) and A Winter's Spell from HP3. JW did't write the lyrics for those, but those are the only ones that came to my mind.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Well he "wrote" the lyrics for Duel Of The Fates.

And probably other of his choral work

I wouldn't say he wrote the lyrics.... it was a Sanskrit translation of an existing poem by Robert Graves.

• 2 months later...

My favourite would be Home Alone 2 - Christmas Star!

Others:

Sabrina - How Can I remember/Moonlight

Home Alone - Some where in my Memory/Star of Bethlehem

Prisoner of Azkaban - Double Trouble

A.I. - For Always

6 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I see no one's mentioned the original gilligan's island theme.

I remember reading awhile back that it was not written by Williams, even if the rest of the original pilot score was. I think the confusion stems from there. According to GI fan Bach-Choi on FSM, the tune was written by Sherwood Schwartz, just like the final theme song.

On 04/04/2017 at 6:11 PM, Matt S. said:

I wouldn't say he wrote the lyrics.... it was a Sanskrit translation of an existing poem by Robert Graves.

Actually it was taken from Cad Goddeu, a medieval welsh poem, that Graves translated into modern English.

On 1/4/2017 at 9:22 PM, Thor said:

OK, no one knows about "Remembering Munich".

I think I've read somewhere (or maybe saw?) that they're vocalizations sounding like Hebrew.

oh, here it is:

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/munich/index.cgi?read=57&expand=1

but i don't know what's nightscape's source.

• 6 years later...

I've added the HOOK songs from the new release that weren't on the list. But there is apparently one song remaining, "Nothing's Impossible" that was not on the new set?

Also, feel free to make any corrections or suggestions that aren't on the list otherwise.

On 22/03/2017 at 11:04 AM, Thor said:

What am I missing?

On a quick look through I immediately saw Double Trouble and Christmas at Hogwarts are here (not sure why the latter is borderline), but Hogwarts Forever and Winter's Spell are not.

In the "The Legend of John Williams" box song CD there are two more not mentioned here:

• Come Tuesday
  • Love's the Only Game in Town

Both composed together with Alan and Marilyn Bergman.