Jump to content

What's your favourite John Williams SONG?


Thor
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well no, hard to find any pop songs from that era as good as that. But not just Beach Boys.  The Mamas & The Papas, The Turtles, The Association, Harpers Bizarre, The 5th Dimension.  Corny as hell, but I can't help liking those songs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well no, hard to find any pop songs from that era as good as that. But not just Beach Boys.  The Mamas & The Papas, The Turtles, The Association, Harpers Bizarre, The 5th Dimension.  Corny as hell, but I can't help liking those songs.

 

I think "Penelope" is even closer to a Beach Boys sound than "Guide for the Married Man" or "Not With My Wife You Don't", certainly as close Williams got. But yeah -- obviously miles away in terms of quality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't expect John Williams to write a pop song as perfect as Brian Wilson can, and I don't expect Wilson to be able to write a film score as dense and intelligent as Williams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

easy:

When you're Alone.

 

By the way, i wouldn't include For Always because it wasn't composed as a song I assume.

It was just an afterthought to add lyrics for the album.

So, I wouldn't call this a John Williams song, the same way if someone adds lyrics to Schindler's List theme, I wouldn't call it then a John Williams song.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

easy:

When you're Alone.

 

By the way, i wouldn't include For Always because it wasn't composed as a song I assume.

It was just an afterthought to add lyrics for the album.

So, I wouldn't call this a John Williams song, the same way if someone adds lyrics to Schindler's List theme, I wouldn't call it then a John Williams song.

 

As Townerfan has pointed out a couple of times, several of Williams' songs are "afterthoughts" this way, i.e. not written as songs, but turned into songs later on. Be that as it may, they're still very much songs. It's the end result that counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I actually like the singing on When You're Alone!

 

I would love it if we could have another recording with a professional singer, eg a soprano.

Just now, Thor said:

 

As Townerfan has pointed out a couple of times, several of Williams' songs are "afterthoughts" this way, i.e. not written as songs, but turned into songs later on. Be that as it may, they're still very much songs. It's the end result that counts.

Well, i strongly disagree.

When you start composing, it plays an important role if you know you're writing a song or a music theme, because the approach will be different.

But anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm fairly certain that Williams has had a say in most, if not all of the tracks-turned-songs over the years. So it's not like it's just some random track turned into a song by someone else. As such, I think they very much qualify as Williams-penned songs. I wouldn't get too hung up in the unorthodox creation process. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I would love it if we could have another recording with a professional singer, eg a soprano.

 

Or anyone, for that matter, that isn't a 7 year old kid.  The tune is an extremely good one, nice little floating melody, but it grates my ears on the OST and skip it every time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First time poster here, long time lurker.....

 

I just had to create an account to admonish you all!  Nobody here remembered "America, the Dream Goes On!"  Shame on everyone!!  :P:P:P

 

Seriously though, my favorites songs are probably "The Long Goodbye" and "If We Were in Love."

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt S. said:

First time poster here, long time lurker.....

 

I just had to create an account to admonish you all!  Nobody here remembered "America, the Dream Goes On!"  Shame on everyone!!  :P:P:P

 

Seriously though, my favorites songs are probably "The Long Goodbye" and "If We Were in Love."

 

 

 

 

Yikes! You're right. Not Williams' shining hour, that song, but how could we forget it?!?

 

I've also added "We're Lookin' Good", even if I've never heard the version with the lyrics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

 

Or anyone, for that matter, that isn't a 7 year old kid.  The tune is an extremely good one, nice little floating melody, but it grates my ears on the OST and skip it every time.

 

Really? It is perfect on the ost as it is, young girl singing. Like Stefancos said its very likeable. Nothing special if it would have been sung by the pro.

Link to comment
Share on other sites