The Patriot (John Williams)

Thor

On 3/26/2017 at 4:54 PM, Thor said:

It was a passion project for Williams, since he wanted to do fife-and-drums music and other modes of music of the era

Just rewatched the movie last night and was wondering how much of the source music was JW and whether he'd allow all of it to be released in a nice 10-20 minute block on a future expansion - this gives me hope!

The credits only mention these two pieces, that should mean all the rest was recorded specifically for the film and could be released without any problem, right?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

The credits only mention these two pieces, that should mean all the rest was recorded specifically for the film and could be released without any problem, right?

I wonder if the GEMA database could shed some light on this? BrotherSound recently found all the source music JW wrote for Amistad using that method (because it lists entries of music chronologically as it appeared in the film). It then listed the source music for Amistad that JW actually composed himself... and which desperately needs to be included on a future expansion (please convince him Mike! :()

10 hours ago, Holko said:

It's possible they're just uncredited library tracks. Sometimes those get mentioned in end credits, and sometimes they don't.

• 1 month later...

I’ve got the NFL draft pre-show on and when they had the presentation of colors by our armed forces The Patriot main theme was playing in the background on-site.  Great scene gave me goosebumps!  Can’t wait for an expanded release of this score!

• 4 months later...

For some reason I like to revisit this one early autumn every year. (I revisit Howard's "The Village" in mid-late autumn every year too)

Williams always nails it with his concert pieces, though this score is one of the few where the concert piece is the only major highlight for me. Still it is so amazing that I'd say it very much worth the price of the whole album alone on its own. I also always like to listen to "Ann and Gabriel" straight after the opening track, before moving to the rest of the album. That cue feels very much like it belonged to the concert piece - the winding down stage of the amazing journey, that is the opening track. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

26 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

For some reason I like to revisit this one early autumn every year. (I revisit Howard's "The Village" in mid-late autumn every year too)

That's interesting. To me, this score always had kind of a sweltering summer vibe.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

That's interesting. To me, this score always had kind of a sweltering summer vibe.

I'd reserve a description like that for Caribbean reggae tones, even if I can't quite listen to them as music.

6 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

same. but i also associate the movie during Christmas time, because my folks would always get us dvds for Christmas that we've never seen, and I watched that one Christmas night.  Good memories.  I haven't seen the film in so long though, not sure how it holds up for me.  Score is top notch for me, obviously.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

It's the quintessential 4th of July score for me

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

...so's the apocalypse, and I'm not looking forward to that, either.

I just hope the expansion of The Patriot to arrive earlier than the Apocalypse, and not the other way around.