REMIXED & RESTORED: Jurassic Park

Mr. Breathmask

Good job Marc! This is fascinating and very illuminating and I can't wait to see you finish this piece! :) 

Cool! I cannot wait to see how the unused music plays out. I myself have done it before, but it is nice to be able to sit down, see and hear all the unused cues in the respective scenes without my having to play the cues and the scene from each film whenever I want to revisit them (saves A LOT of time).

Thanks, everyone!

It's going to take a while to get all these videos out, but don't worry. There's cool stuff coming. Here's the second video, brief as it is:

2. The Encased Mosquito
1m2 The Encased Mosquito

Inside the amber mine, the choir returns as we push in on the very source of our adventure: a tiny prehistoric mosquito encased in amber. We cut to a dinosaur bone being unearthed. The choir turns from low and ominous to high and awestruck as the remains of the extinct animal are uncovered by the many diligent hands of paleontologists. A misterioso oboe and clarinet line coincides with the appearance of the legend “BADLANDS - Near Snakewater, Montana”. This is where we're about to meet our hero. As ALAN GRANT rises into frame for the first time and states his position on the film’s nature vs. technology theme, Williams underscores the comment with a final ominous chord in the orchestra's lower registers.

This cue is heard in its entirety.

An early one today!

5. Stalling Around **
3m3 Cartoon Demonstration

This source cue is used for the introduction film the tour group is shown. However, Williams still manages to underscore Malcolm’s amazement as he realizes how Hammond pulled off the trick of cloning dinosaurs. It's a small departure from the rest of the score and until The Adventures of Tintin came along in 2011 it was the only bit of animated scoring Williams had done!

There's a small music edit in the film during the shot of the scientist that starts at 1:57. I've left a small gap after that shot to make sure the rest of the cue syncs up. Other than that, this cue is heard in its entirety. To mark the micro-edit in the film, this track has been marked with **.

6.  Hatching Baby Raptor
4m1 Hatching Baby Raptor

After escaping from the automated tour (life will not be contained and all that), the group moves to the hatchery. As a dinosaur egg hatches before the eyes of the group, Williams returns to scoring the beauty of nature and the the angelic choir of awe returns. This cue plays in the movie as it was written.

7. You Bred Raptors?
4m2 You Bred Raptors

The awe of nature makes way for ominous tones as Grant realizes he is holding a baby velociraptor. This brief cue appears in the film its entirety.

8. The History Lesson
5m1 The History Lesson

After meeting Muldoon, a short debate and the introduction of LEX and TIM MURPHY plays out without any music, the group is about to go off and meet the dinosaurs. A playful cue featuring variations on the adventure theme underscores Grant trying to get away from fanboy Tim, who is every bit as obnoxious as Grant feared a child would be. Another cue that plays in the film as written.

Well, here's another one then. And good morning to you!

9. Jurassic Park Gate **
5m2 Jurassic Park Gate

Hold on to your butts, the second act is about to kick off. As RAY ARNOLD starts the tour program, Hammond watches the cars start from his control room. The jungle drums return as the cars depart. Here again, the music plays like theme park music. It might as well have been playing over the car speakers. The low register string chord connecting the swelling adventure theme to the music for Hammond talking over the intercom is dialed out in the film. Instead, we hear the loud echoing sound of the Jurassic Park gate closing behind our heroes. This is the only part of the track that is not in the film. As the cars drive past the seemingly empty Dilophosaurus pen, Williams quiets down and uses mostly strings to score the unknown jungle, a sound he'll return to in the next cue, which was dropped from the film entirely.

Starting tomorrow, we'll be looking at a stretch of tracks that was either dropped entirely from the film or had large chunks removed. So stay tuned!

Awesome stuff. I just have a minor correction for you: the low register string chord connecting the adventure theme to the section of music for Hammond talking over the intercom is NOT dialed out in the film. The echoing of the Jurassic Park Gate is just loud enough to make the strings hard to hear, but they are there.

Marc, these videos are great!  I finally had a chance to catch up on Friday (so have only seen your first 6 videos) but I really enjoyed all of them.  It's a neat idea to present these with the film's audio in tact, but at a lowered volume.... Really lets the music shine, while also showcasing better how he make it complement or take focus depending on what is happening at the time.  Neat stuff, and I can't wait to catch up on the ones you've posted since!

15 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Awesome stuff. I just have a minor correction for you: the low register string chord connecting the adventure theme to the section of music for Hammond talking over the intercom is NOT dialed out in the film. The echoing of the Jurassic Park Gate is just loud enough to make the strings hard to hear, but they are there.

I don't hear it, though. It's supposed to be audible after we've already cut to Hammond. I could check the Blu-Ray later tonight, though. I'm mostly working off a low-res rip for these videos.

Well, I checked the Blu-Ray. It's not there. When we cut to Hammond, the music doesn't come in until 1:05 in this video. It's a very minor edit, but it's an edit nonetheless.

I checked again with headphones on and the volume way up. It might be there, but if it is, it's certainly dialed way down compared to the album mix.

10. Goat Bait *
5m3 Goat Bait

This is the first cue that was dropped from the film in its entirety and it kicks off a short stretch of unused music. I’ve started this cue on the cut to the cars arriving at the Tyrannosaur paddock and it lines up pretty well. I personally think the scene works better without the music, but it's cool to see how it would play with score (although the music obviously wouldn't have been mixed in as prominently as it is here). The sound used for the Dilophosaurus pen turns darker and more ominous. The music tries to ramp up the tension and condition us to fear the jungle. Some of the orchestration is quite similar to the sound Williams will use for Ellie and Muldoon’s jungle adventure in the third act (the cue was combined with music from that scene on the original album). The cue runs right from the start of the scene to the end, concluding with the goat sitting down and fading out as we cut to Hammond in his control room. In the film, the scene plays entirely without music. The focus on sound and dialogue shifts the tone of the scene from one of threat to one of dry wit and disappointment in the tour.

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

OK, then. Spielberg might have raped my childhood.

11 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Either way, I just unraped it for you. You're welcome.

Marc. Unraping childhoods since 2017.

And again great work on these. Keep 'em coming!

11. The Saboteur *
6m1 The Menace Dennis

Also dropped in its entirety, this is another cue that is almost exactly as long as the scene it was meant to underscore. We return to the sound of suspense and intrigue, as the control room realizes a flaw in the tour’s design and we revisit Nedry, who’s biding his time at his work station, getting ready to pull his scam. The final chord takes us back to Grant and co.

nice! i think that cue could have been in the film and enhaced the scene.

I think mattessino told in the interview what the 'saboteur' real cue name was.... but i cant remember it.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

nice!

I think mattessino told in the interview what the 'saboteur' real cue name was.... but i cant remember it.

Yes Matessino mentioned it. The cue title is The Menace Dennis:P

24 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

That's a giacchino cue... :P

Johnny was punny before Gia was even born. He just doesn't flaunt it on the CD track titles. ;)

All of Williams' original cue names are available on my spreadsheet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hZY4hhCz-5NzbjKuPOx8R9Yb0iWnr4P4SwzG1-6VSTg/pubhtml

You'll note that 2M1, 3M3, 6M1, 6M2, 7M1, 8M1, 10M3, 11M1, 11M2, 12M3/13M1, 14M2, and the cues inside Journey To the Island and Welcome To Jurassic Park all have different titles on CD than as originally written.

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Johnny was punny before Gia was even born. He just doesn't flaunt it on the CD track titles. ;)

Once in a Vial.

12. Ailing Triceratops *
6m2 An Ailing Monster

As Grant leaves the group behind, bassoon and strings accentuate the mystery of what he saw. This start of the cue was not used in the film. Instead, the music starts as Tim reaches the clearing and the sick Triceratops is revealed. This ends a seven-minute stretch of film without music for which about four minutes of score was written. The last time we went this long without score was during the debate section between seeing the baby raptors and getting in the cars. Interestingly, this last score-less stretch also featured debate on the park’s workings and the vain attempts at controlling nature.

The majestic and touching music for the sick Triceratops plays out the same in the film, until the very end of the track. Ellie’s realization the West Indian Lilac might have something to do with the disease plaguing the Triceratops herd is unscored in the film, as is her idea to investigate the droppings. A short horn line and the very end of the cue were dropped from the film (starting at 2:13 in this video).

13 hours ago, Fal said:

Once in a Vial.

Or Is It a Bird? from 1977. But that is more of a witty reference than an outright pun.

I have always had a fondness for TLW's Pain of Glass. A classic.

It's painful to see a paleobotanist outwitting the veterinarian, not having noticed the pupil reaction on the triceratops... He is supposed to be top avian-reptile vet in the world if he has been contracted for jurassic park... Also he is "almost sure" the dinosaurs do not eat the poisonous seeds...they hadnt check the faeces... checking both is almost standard procedure... And someone should have read about dinosaur gizzard stones?....or see the young animals eat them while they were growing? It's a little sloppy writting from crichton....and now i notice that dropping the explanation scene may be intentional...maybe spielberg thought in the end that it was unvelievable that the paleontologists with the help of timmy would solve a problem a group of elite-no-expenses-spared-billed veterinarians (and probably ecologists and biologists) could not....

13. The Coming Storm
6m3 The Coming Storm
As uncontrollable as anything in nature, the weather is about to turn for the worse. The breaking waves are scored like the coming of disaster and we return to more thriller score as Nedry pleads with his contact to wait for him to deliver the embryos. This cue is uncut in the film.

Yeah I have had a soft spot for this little cue as well. Johnny captures the whole little sequence so well from the rising storm to Nedry's intrigue.

14. Dennis Steals the Embryo
7m1 Dennis Steals the Embryos

Our thriller subplot comes to a heat as Nedry puts his plan into effect. Reminiscent of JFK’s The Conspirators, Williams heavily employs synthesizer to back the orchestra. The cue hits every escalating beat as systems go offline, Nedry collects his embryos and heads into the park and the tour vehicles are stranded somewhere in the park. As Muldoon, Arnold and Hammond realize they are in trouble, the cue ends in the film right where it should. For the next ten minutes we’ll have to do without the comfort of John Williams’ music to guide us, making the events that are about to unfold all the more terrifying.