REMIXED & RESTORED: Jurassic Park

Mr. Breathmask

9 hours ago, FC4L said:

So Hollywood director Steven Spielberg made a Steven Spielberg Hollywood director's choice? Got it. Hate on the director who contracted the composer and found a way to use the composed music to elicit the exact feeling the director, who hired the composer, wanted.

This board is a good reason why classical music in general gets such a terrible reputation. You can't be nice about anything and rather have to interject your own nihilistic and complete fanboy-ish ideals onto everything.

I don't listen to recording sessions and gleam over what was recorded and never used. If it's not in  the film then it's the same as 12 frames cut off the end of a shot. It doesn't exist. If you choose to enjoy the music as written and recorded ONLY and ignore what is presented in the film then you have an extremely narrow mind because what wasn't used could be utter crap and you'd still stand behind it screaming loudly and proudly.

Boy, I just explained why I would have prefered the original version and I gave a reason therefore. Apart from being very hostile, you basically say that Spielberg's choice is the right choice, just because it's Spielberg's choice and that Williams' music which is not included in the film is not worth it, just because it's not included in the film. That is a pretty weird... statement.

23 hours ago, FC4L said:

This board is a good reason why classical music in general gets such a terrible reputation. You can't be nice about anything and rather have to interject your own nihilistic and complete fanboy-ish ideals onto everything.

sometimes-i-use-big-words-i-dont-underst

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've made a few small updates to some of the videos:

Goat Bait has been resynced to line up better. It was about 1 second off.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:15 AM, Jay said:

21. To the Maintenance Shed **/High-Wire Stunts */Hungry Raptor *

Unfortunately, there is a mistake in the way this video is put together, @Mr. Breathmask  The entirety of "To The Maintenance Shed" is perfect, all the way up until it ends at 4:03.  BUT!  As soon as that very next shot begins, "High Wire Stunts"  is supposed to start RIGHT there, right on that wide shot of them approaching the fence.  if you move up the music that way, it actually flows perfectly; The final chord of "To The Maintenance Shed" ends up being basically unheard entirely, but that's OK, that's intentional; It's something only heard when you're presenting a clean ending on album, and it gets masked when properly segued into the next cue.

So once you make that change, you'll see that everything else fits if you just "extend" the silence when Grant pretends to be electrocuted (it was shortened for album listening).  Everything after his electrocution fake-out is fine!

^ This is now fixed!

I also wanted to make that video that Jay asked for, combining The Saboteur and Ailing Triceratops. It turned out The Saboteur was out of sync by two seconds! I resynced it, with the final chord not coming in until we cut back to Grant & Co. Works perfectly. So The Saboteur has been updated and here below is the video combining the two cues (although I still prefer to have them seperated).

Enjoy!

I checked out your new videos - great work Mr B! Thanks for this!

As always, excited to see what your next project may be :)

• 5 months later...

I love you Mr. Breathmask for the work you did on this soundtrack! I am currently studying this soundtrack hard as I will assist a Cine Concert in september. I am wondering how they will play the raptor attack on Ellie for example. I have been tricked by The Goat Bait and The Saboteur, I thought I knew Jurassic Park by heart since years and that those musics were so familiar I was sure they were in the movie! But not... Incredible!

The live to projection concerts match the final film edits, not Williams' original intentions

• 4 months later...

This and The Lost World Restored thread are wonderful. Extremely helpful for everyone researching and studying the Williams Jurassic scores, or simplye for anyone who wants to know more about them.

Here's a recommendation for the mods: to create a thread linking to "JWFan's greatest hits", or the best, more useful and more informative threads on the forum. This will help new and old users find the wonderful jobs of previous JWFanners that will help them understand Williams' music.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 3:52 PM, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Wasn't that kind of what the old Forum Express thread thingy was?

Sort of. It also linked to ongoing discussions about current tv shows and stuff like this. But now we have this, exclusively for Williams-related stuff.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My philosophy re: cue replacements in the editing bay during post production is... is the movie considered a classic?  If it is you can't really argue with whether or not the music was butchered.  It doesn't matter, the film works incredibly well and that is the ultimate goal of both the composer and the director.  You might like the original version more, but the argument about whether or not the decision to replace a segment or cue was right or wrong is a moot point.

Now, when it comes to editing the music decades later for a Special Edition and swapping out a Jabba band song for a worse Jabba band song... now there's some ground for argument.

• 4 months later...
On 4/13/2017 at 2:55 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

The cue's final chord was replaced by a more ominous one in the film, tracked in from another cue.

What cue did they replace the ending of "Life Finds a Way" with in the film mix?

On 4/15/2017 at 4:18 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

In the film, a short clip from the start of The T-Rex Chase is used to kick off the cue. 

Curious, which section starts off High Wire Stunts in the film? Nothing in the start of The T-Rex Chase sounds like it. Later in that cue, yes, but there's a lot of that.

edit: nevermind i found it

• 1 year later...

Due to a security update to Google Drive last year, it appears that new users have unfortunately been barred from viewing the video's embedded in this thread for quite some time. This only came to my attention today and some rummaging about in the security settings for these files should have fixed this now.

Let me know if anyone still has trouble viewing these videos. Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Due to a security update to Google Drive last year, it appears that new users have unfortunately been barred from viewing the video's embedded in this thread for quite some time. This only came to my attention today and some rummaging about in the security settings for these files should have fixed this now.

Let me know if anyone still has trouble viewing these videos. Enjoy!

You might have to relink the videos as well.

• 1 month later...

What are the chances of redoing the two respective videos for Journey to the Island and Dennis Steals the Embryos, since obvious reasons? Even though the whole score was remastered definitively this past year, only those two videos would possibly be redone to use the film versions of each.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I do not own a copy of the latest remaster, chances right now are slim.

If that were to change, I could probably bang out two new videos over a weekend.

6 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Since I do not own a copy of the latest remaster, chances right now are slim.

If that were to change, I could probably bang out two new videos over a weekend.

You should get it. It is worth having.

• 1 month later...
On 15/4/2017 at 10:18 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

In the film, a short clip from the start of The T-Rex Chase is used to kick off the cue. High Wire Stunts was supposed to overlap with the end of Preparing to Meet the Monster, starting right as we cut to the perimiter fence. The pause for Grant's fake electrocution was shortened for album purposes. Another big statement of the carnivore motif is cut from the film here, originally overlapping with the roar heard from off-screen. As Lex and Tim react to the sound, the music turns more urgent and this is where the film first picks up the track

Ha, always wondered about that one second off rumbling bass clarinets and bassoons. I tried to recreate it (surely not accurate, just to get an impression…)

• 7 months later...
On 02/01/2023 at 11:26 PM, JohnnyD said:

What are the chances of redoing the two respective videos for Journey to the Island and Dennis Steals the Embryos, since obvious reasons? Even though the whole score was remastered definitively this past year, only those two videos would possibly be redone to use the film versions of each.

Alrighty then.

Here's the first one:

4a. Journey to the Island (film version)
2m3-3m1 To the Island
3m2 The Dinosaurs
3m2A The Entrance of the Park

Not much changes for Journey to the Island when lining up the film takes. There was a small edit in the original video just before the main theme starts. That's gone now, as this version lines up.

The previous video also had the cut to the cars arriving at the visitor's center trimmed. There's now actually a few frames of black, as the transition is slightly longer now.

Check back tomorrow for the film version of Dennis Steals the Embryo.

Enjoy!

14a. Dennis Steals the Embryo (film version)
7m1 Dennis Steals the Embryos

And here's the second new track from the 2022 remaster: the film performance of Dennis Steals the Embryo. Enjoy!