Jurassic Park - Tyrannosaurus Rex At The Lagoon

scallenger

Way to make me come out of hiding to see this video. :ph34r:

:joke:

It's so elating to share a screen credit with John Williams. His themes instrumentation made my composition and orchestrations possible for this project. :D

Dang, I missed these forums. I need to get back in here more often. Scallenger has been my Spielberg these last two years. :biglaugh:

Wow scallenger, i would like to see the full storyboards some day :)

Was harrison ford planned for grant? I never read that, but the drawings here, the finished picture art from the making of book (grants and the kids running from the rex in the jungle) and the look of the kenner figure plus the cards from the other figures...make it as if he was at some point approached for the role...

23 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Wow scallenger, i would like to see the full storyboards some day :)

You probably will. He posts them on his Facebook first and then posts them elsewhere.

He's got lots of storyboards there already.

I thought the Kenner action figure looked just like Sam Neil. Kenner was pretty good at facial likenesses in that era. See: Michael Keaton Bruce Wayne, Kevin Costner Robin Hood, Arnold T-800 and of course:

The-Power-Of-The-Force-2-Princess-Leia-2

12 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Was harrison ford planned for grant? I never read that, but the drawings here, the finished picture art from the making of book (grants and the kids running from the rex in the jungle) and the look of the kenner figure plus the cards from the other figures...make it as if he was at some point approached for the role...

Yup 

harryford.png

I don't think Alan Grant is a particularly great character by any means, but Sam Neil did bring something to the role that I can't see Ford having brought. By that time, he was well into his boring "guy in a suit" drama phase. What a tragic waste.

It's been at least a decade since I read JP but I vaguely remember that this river sequence did not work, like it had a wall of trees keeping the T-rex away from Grant and the kids. I don't think that would have meshed with the movie beast that tears down a fence to attack cars. 

It works better in the theme park ride where the tour boat accidentally enters a gigantic illogical building with a lift hill and waterfall where the predators have gotten loose, including the T-Rex inexplicably at the very top, which apparently goes wherever the hell it wants like in the movies.

Thank god! It's a fake! You can tell it with the bone's cross sectionsh!

Thanks for sharing this video! It's always interesting to see these abandoned concepts for JP.

Seeing the storyboards for the lagoon sequence makes it easy to see why it was scrapped back in the early 1990's. These days they would have CGI'd the heck out that scene but back in the day it would have probably been enormously time consuming and costly to shoot that.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Would that have been good, or bad?

Eh. My point is more that Jurassic Park would have been a Harrison Ford movie, rather than a dinosaur movie. And the sequel would have to follow suit.

Thank you everyone for all of the comments. :) Lot of work went into this, including in getting it in the first place! :D It was actually a dream of mine a long time ago to acquire some version of this scene the way the filmmakers would have done it, and it did not disappoint. As a sequence I think it is great, but I can see how it would not fit well into the version of the film we ended up getting. Now as for earlier versions of the film... it was truly one of the highlights.

Also glad to hear people liking the music. Besides the obvious use of the "carnivore motif", which this track was essentially a love letter to; what other themes or alterations of themes from Jurassic Park and etc. did anyone spot?

On 3/31/2017 at 5:56 AM, Muad'Dib said:

They kinda screwed up Malcolm's personality in the second movie. It's like he's a completely different person.

He's less of a goofball. More like how he was in the second half of the first film.