Paul Thomas Anderson

mrbellamy

There Will Be Pockets

Anyway, I generally prefer his funnier "LA" films (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Inherent Vice) to his more serious films (There Will Be Blood, The Master).  But he's certainly never made a bad one.  My butt will always be in a cinema seat for a new PTA movie.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

There Will Be Pockets

Anyway, I generally prefer his funnier "LA" films (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Inherent Vice) to his more serious films (There Will Be Blood, The Master).  But he's certainly never made a bad one.  My butt will always be in a cinema seat for a new PTA movie.

Let's hope that the rest of you goes along, for the ride?

Why would you have to "dig through" the Upcoming Films thread to post new news about an upcoming film? You simply.. post the new news in it.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why would you have to "dig through" the Upcoming Films thread to post new news about an upcoming film? You simply.. post the new news in it.  Am I missing something?

"Always digging" is an exaggeration, sometimes I'll just want to quote a post if it's a relevant follow-up on some previous bit of news or a comment or something and that means searching for it. Also skimming recent posts about other random movies to see if something might have already been posted before I do it.

PTA's one of the only directors that I really want to keep tabs on everything he does, any new details or if there's an interview or something, whereas Future Films is more scattered and general, stuff where nobody really cares about separating the discussion. I know he has fans here and people might want to talk about the old films here and there too so I wanted to start putting it in its own thread. :D

The board was recently updated so if you go up to the search box inside a thread, it automatically defaults to searching within only the thread you're in.  

For example, I just entered the Upcoming Films thread, typed "lewis" into the search box, and found posts about this movie *shrug*.

PT Anderson directed the music videos for two songs from two of my favorite pop albums of this decade.

Fiona Apple's song "Hot Knife"

and Joanna Newsom's "Sapokanikan"

(the videos themselves are nothing amazing, he wisely keeps it simple and makes it all about the performers)

I actually think both videos are great. "Hot Knife" is one of my favorite uses of split screen, hypnotizing. 

His more virtuosic videos are fantastic, though. "Paper Bag" is classic Boogie Nights/Magnolia era PTA:

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Probably, and "no". Modern cinema is fucked.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Too soon to tell! (duh)

Modern cinema is so ass-fucked, that if you looked at the back of its mouth, you'd see Mickey Mouse's prick.

PTA Anderson is very hit and miss for me. I hated INHERENT VICE, and didn't think THE MASTER was good as everyone said it was. But I love THERE WILL BE BLOOD, PUNCH-DRUNK-LOVE and BOOGIE NIGHTS. MAGNOLIA is OK, but kinda Robert Altman Lite.

In terms of overall output, I actually prefer Paul W.S. Anderson!

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I hated INHERENT VICE, and didn't think THE MASTER was good as everyone said it was. 

I completely agree. Inherent Vice, I tried it twice, but this one is definitely not for me. I liked The Master's first half, but during the second one, everything changes for the worse. I hope  PTA gets his act together with The Man With His Hands In His Pockets.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

PT Anderson directed the music videos for two songs from two of my favorite pop albums of this decade.

I only know this artist because of:

Alex

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Paul Thomas Anderson is very hit/miss to me. I found PHANTOM THREAD merely OK (as opposed to all my colleagues, who adored it), I absolutely hated INHERENT VICE, and I thought THE MASTER was absolutely brilliant. Just to show how much up and down he's been over his last three movies.

So I meet this new movie with an open slate. It could be anything.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Paul Thomas Anderson is very hit/miss to me. I found PHANTOM THREAD merely OK (as opposed to all my colleagues, who adored it), I absolutely hated INHERENT VICE, and I thought THE MASTER was absolutely brilliant. Just to show how much up and down he's been over his last three movies.

So I meet this new movie with an open slate. It could be anything.

I loved Phantom Thread and on certain days, I even consider The Master as his finest film. I did not enjoy Inherent Vice though.

But that’s a pretty great track record if you ask me. Like any PTA film, I welcome it with open arms.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I absolutely hated INHERENT VICE

Three times I tried to watch this but I keep switching it off after some time. Every indie director has his Southland Tales. Inherent Vice is PTA's Southland Tales.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Paul Thomas Anderson is very hit/miss to me.

There was a time each PTA movie was a hit for me (sorta like every Scott movie is a hit for you) but sadly that phenomenon is no longer true.

3 hours ago, Thor said:

I found PHANTOM THREAD merely OK 

I liked it but I have to watch it again. I loved Magnolia more during the second time around. 

2 hours ago, KK said:

I even consider The Master as his finest film.

My faith in PTA started to crumble during the second half of The Master. But I repeat, I really should revisit it.

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Literally 2 posts above yours. 

Alex doesn't like to read the recent posts in a thread before quickly posting something in it, for some reason

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

He's bit like an arty equivalent to Nolan. Mostly quite good but sometimes constipated. 

Karol

Hmm. I don't think they really compare. But PTA is the more interesting artist anyway. And one whose voice and curiosities are actually evolving over the years.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

There was a time each PTA movie was a hit for me (sorta like every Scott movie is a hit for you) but sadly that phenomenon is no longer true.

With the exception of Inherent Vice, this still rings true for me. But what makes it even great is that I always come out of a PTA film surprised. It's never quite what I go in expecting, and I love that.

Just now, Edmilson said:

Yep, and Inherent Vice is shite.

I have to agree with that. It just came across as THE BIG LEBOWSKI, but without the wit, nor the intelligence. A misfire, among some classic examples of contemporary cinema.

I've been told it gets a lot richer upon repeated viewings, but I just haven't been able to revisit it again.

Shite is a strong word. But a misfire, definitely.

I love all of these films, Inherent Vice included. Apart from anything else, it really is hilariously funny.

My main negative issue with Anderson's films is that his wandering, exploratory approach (which is so effective in developing rich scenarios and characters) seems to result in a tendency to drift in the later stages.

2 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

My main negative issue with Anderson's films is that his wandering, exploratory approach (which is so effective in developing rich scenarios and characters) seems to result in a tendency to drift in the later stages.

The Master lost my interest in the second half, when it became very chatty and the camera limits itself to headshots. It feels like a different movie compared to the first half.  

2 hours ago, KK said:

I've been told it (Inherent Vice) gets a lot richer upon repeated viewings

Haven't noticed it and I tried 3 times. 

Hmm.  I just realized it's been 13 years now since There Will Be Blood, and I've yet to sit down and watch The Master, Inherent Vice, or Phantom Thread, despite loving Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE is good. PHANTOM THREAD, THERE WILL BE BLOOD, and THE MASTER are great.  MAGNOLIA is phenomenal.

1. Punch-Drunk Love

2. There Will Be Blood/Magnolia

3. Phantom Thread

4. The Master

But rewatching a few of these could change the order somewhat. (I've only seen Punch-Drunk Love and Magnolia more than once)

1. There Will Be Blood
  2. The Master  and  Phantom Thread
  3. Inherent Vice  and  Punch-Drunk Love
  4. Magnolia  and  Boogie Nights
  5. Hard Eight

18 hours ago, Jay said:

Hmm.  I just realized it's been 13 years now since There Will Be Blood, and I've yet to sit down and watch The Master, Inherent Vice, or Phantom Thread, despite loving Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and There Will Be Blood

Perhaps you still

On 3/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, Jay said:

kind of want to believe he just stopped making films after There Will Be Blood