New Line Cinema Announces Silmarillion Trilogy - J.J. Abrams to Direct First Film

Will

abrams_lg.jpg

New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that they will release a new trilogy of films set in the universe of The Lord of the Rings, ushering in an exciting new era of Middle-earth storytelling.

The long-awaited new trilogy will be based on works of J.R.R. Tolkien that have never before been explored on the screen, including The Silmarillion.

“We are delighted to have the opportunity to further explore the rich universe that J.R.R. Tolkien created,” Warner Bros. Pictures chief executive officer Kevin Tsujihara said.

The first film will be directed by the acclaimed J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and is targeted for a 2020 release.

“To be chosen to create the next chapter in this epic universe, to collaborate with the remarkable people at New Line Cinema, is an absolute honor,” Abrams said. “I am deeply grateful.”

Peter Jackson, director, writer, and producer of The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit trilogy, will serve as an executive producer on the new films.

(https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/new-line-cinema-warner-bros-pictures-announce-new-lord-of-the-rings-trilogy)

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Knew it was fake the moment I saw "Kevin Tsujihara". Such a silly name could not possibly be real.

:lol:

9 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Knew it was fake the moment I saw "Kevin Tsujihara". Such a silly name could not possibly be real.

Are you serious?  I knew it was a joke from the thread title....

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jason fell for it! Alvar cleverly hit a joke inside the joke!

Hit a joke? 

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Jason fell for it! Alvar cleverly hit a joke inside the joke!

Is that like hitting a home run inside the park? Or a Bene Gesserit or Atreides feint within a feint? 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Hit a joke? 

Srsly? 

I absolutely was not pointing out a typo, I genuinely had no idea what you were trying to say.  Now I realize you were trying to say "hid a joke" I guess?

7 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Will needs to be banned for even thinking of JJ Abrams being involved with a Tolkien project. 

Haha yeah I was thinking of something that would be at least facially plausible but would also enrage many LOTR fans here if it were true. I thought this one was particularly good because of course J.J. Abrams could well mean Michael Giacchino... ;)

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

You didn't need this to be in April to know it was complete tosh. 

Quite.

10 hours ago, Will said:

Haha yeah I was thinking of something that would be at least facially plausible but would also enrage many LOTR fans here if it were true. I thought this one was particularly good because of course J.J. Abrams could well mean Michael Giacchino... ;)

You'll stop this right now. 

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Nah. That kind of stuff helps us prepare ourselves for when the time comes... For when it will no longer be a joke, but reality...

You're not funny. You're mean.