What is your soundtrack buying policy?

bollemanneke

Do you buy regular OSTs?

Do you buy specialty label releases? If so, only those you really love or also those you sort of like, just to support them? What about when you absoultey do not agree with some choices that were made for those releases?

If you have bought an OST/specialty label release, can you resist the temptation to listen to it before your physical copy arrives?

9 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Do you buy regular OSTs?

Yes.

Do you buy specialty label releases?

Yes.

If so, only those you really love or also those you sort of like, just to support them?

Only those I really love, because I'm not rich and I have other interests apart from film music.

What about when you absoultey do not agree with some choices that were made for those releases?

Never faced such a situation.

If you have bought an OST/specialty label release, can you resist the temptation to listen to it before your physical copy arrives?

Definitely, else that'd be removing all the fun of the first listen.

Usually an OST doesn't hang around for long, at my local music shop, and if it's from a non-blockbuster, it seems to be deleted, pretty quickly. Because of this, I try to  buy as many of them as I can, when I can.

The Soundtrack Factory has been rereleasing a lot of classic stuff, recently, and most of it is pretty tasty.

I'm pretty much done buying stuff. Last purchase was Twister. I don't think there'll be many major expansions worth buying, other than the next few Star Wars episodes. It's time to reduce my collection. 

Since I joined this forum and started my website, I started collecting John Williams CDs. My collection was then only made of Star Wars CDs (all the versions, I'm a Star Wars fan!), E.T., Raiders, Jurassic Park, the two first Spilelberg collab CDs, etc.

I started to get all the OST albums from mid 70's and over (because of Jaws, and because I was born in 1974!) starting obviously with the movie I saw and loved. Then I started to get the CDs that got good reviews on filmtracks.com and that where loved by some members on this forum.

I also started to collect all the BPO CDs. I now have all of them, including all the collab CDs with Yo-Yo Ma, Perlman, Norman, Bell, etc.

Then I started to collect all the used OST CDs I can find on Amazon...

Now I buy all the digital releases too, and generally the premiere recordings of all the concert works and some recommended albums. I buy all the John Williams albums where he plays the piano too, but digitally only, on Itunes.

Then I was bored, so I started to collect the Expanded releases too... oh my god.... ;-)

And now, I buy all the new CDs, expanded or not.

Currently, I still look for the OST of the River and from the Reivers. The Cowboys too, Dracula... Monsignore...And as I started my collection a little bit late, I'm still looking for some Expanded sets like Midway, Poseidon, etc.

I even started to collect previously unreleased scores (Family Plot, etc.)... Oh, that was for a long time, against my religion!

There's only one thing I'm not into for now, and that's the television works. Not because of the quality of the works, but because of the ways they are actually released... The mix with others composers don't really appeals to me and I don't like too big boxsets.

So that was my little story becoming a John Williams Connaisseur...

9 hours ago, I Need About Tree Fiddy said:

I'm pretty much done buying stuff. ........

It's time to reduce my collection. 

This. I think the last soundtrack I purchased was 5 years ago, and was a silly purchase anyway (The Bourne Legacy, and has probably only been played two or three times). Prior to that, it was one bought 5 years before that (The Bourne Ultimatum - one which has had a 'lot' more play). 

It was long ago that I realized I had reached 'peak aqquisition' (and compared to some my collection isn't vast), the signal being that you are hardly playing the ones you already have and there is even less chance that they'll be played as each new aqquisition arrives. Yes it's nice to have all the options, all that listening choice ("The power, The Power") but how many years go by without certain ones ever being played?

Combined with the endorphine release addiction of securing a limited edition expanded release, and the 'new stuff' hit, I think it can easily become borderlineine mental illness of 'hoarder' variety.

I think that if we were each ruthless, most could probably wittle down collections to say 15-20 soundtracks they'd never part with.

I'm cautious to make purchases in general. I've never bought an album "just because" - I've gotta be feeling certain it's going to bring me joy for years to come. That's not to say everything I've ever bought has stood the test of time, but I don't regret too many of my purchases.

I prefer specialty label releases, but I'll buy an OST if that's the only thing available. Either way, I almost always wait to listen till it arrives. And I usually will still make the purchase even if I disagree with some of the album production choices.

I tend to lean towards specialty label releases these days except in circumstances where a soundtrack is either too new or incredibly unlikely to get an expansion.

7 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

My collection takes up too much space. I'm reducing it to only my autographed Superman box set.

What? Get rid of all your BATMAN stuff? I smell fresh ink, guys.

11 hours ago, Bespin said:

Since I joined this forum and started my website, I started collecting John Williams CDs. My collection was then only made of Star Wars CDs (all the versions, I'm a Star Wars fan!), E.T., Raiders, Jurassic Park, the two first Spilelberg collab CDs, etc.

I started to get all the OST albums from mid 70's and over (because of Jaws, and because I was born in 1974!) starting obviously with the movie I saw and loved. Then I started to get the CDs that got good reviews on filmtracks.com and that where loved by some members on this forum.

I also started to collect all the BPO CDs. I now have all of them, including all the collab CDs with Yo-Yo Ma, Perlman, Norman, Bell, etc.

Then I started to collect all the used OST CDs I can find on Amazon...

Now I buy all the digital releases too, and generally the premiere recordings of all the concert works and some recommended albums. I buy all the John Williams albums where he plays the piano too, but digitally only, on Itunes.

Then I was bored, so I started to collect the Expanded releases too... oh my god.... ;-)

And now, I buy all the new CDs, expanded or not.

Currently, I still look for the OST of the River and from the Reivers. The Cowboys too, Dracula... Monsignore...And as I started my collection a little bit late, I'm still looking for some Expanded sets like Midway, Poseidon, etc.

I even started to collect previously unreleased scores (Family Plot, etc.)... Oh, that was for a long time, against my religion!

There's only one thing I'm not into for now, and that's the television works. Not because of the quality of the works, but because of the ways they are actually released... The mix with others composers don't really appeals to me and I don't like too big boxsets.

So that was my little story becoming a John Williams Connaisseur...

Ah, yes, but Bes, if could only rescue your JW collection, OR your Charles Aznavour collection, from your burning home...which would you choose..?

I hardly ever buy physical media products anymore (CDs, DVDs, BRs), for several reasons. But I make an exception for artists to whom I have a 'completist' relationship. But even for these, I do not buy expansions, unless the OST only had like a track or two of score. Another exception is if the expansion contains an unreleased score, like with STANLEY & IRIS/PETE & TILLIE. But even in THIS case, I'll have to postpone a purchase, since $35 for a single CD is hard to justify with my economy. So it's all very limited.

I got most of my CD purchasing done between the early 90s and the mid 2000s, and most of the complete back catalogues finished -- only needing to pick up subsequent, previously unreleased albums and scores. These days, it's almost exclusively digital file downloads or streaming for everything else.

At the present time, these are the only CDs I have on my 'to get' list:

John Williams - Goodbye Mr. Chips
John Williams - Stanley & Iris/Pete'n'Tillie

Danny Elfman - The End of the Tour 
Danny Elfman - Avengers: Age of Ultron 
Danny Elfman - Goosebumps 
Danny Elfman - The Girl on the Train
Danny Elfman - Before I Wake
Danny Elfman - Fifty Shades Darker

Elliot Goldenthal - Othello Symphony
Elliot Goldenthal - Symphony in G Minor
Elliot Goldenthal - A Midsummer Night's Dream

Alan Parsons - Symphonic Project Live in Colombia (BluRay)

I trial things on Spotify and then buy the ones I really like.

I'll buy anything Williams, Shore, Harry Potter, and Star Wars though. Also the X-Men series but I've no real idea why I do that. Completist I guess. Deadpool is easily the worst OST I own. 

21 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Do you buy regular OSTs?

Do you buy specialty label releases? If so, only those you really love or also those you sort of like, just to support them? What about when you absoultey do not agree with some choices that were made for those releases?

1. No, only on Amazon Digital or iTunes.

2. Occasionally but mostly to support them. Most stuff i buy is for nostalgia reasons not because i REALLY need more music (i. e. from 'The Rocketeer')

3. i don't care in the slightest, if i'm in the mood and it's up on the Shrine i download it, often i can't be arsed.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Ah, yes, but Bes, if could only rescue your JW collection, OR your Charles Aznavour collection, from your burning home...which would you choose..?

Charles Aznavour first. Roy Orbison in second. 

22 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Do you buy regular OSTs?

Answered above.

Do you buy specialty label releases?

Answered above.

If so, only those you really love or also those you sort of like, just to support them?

I would never buy a film score "just to support" any entity; I have to like SOME aspect of the score (or, if I haven't heard it before, I have to have a pretty good feeling I will like some aspect of it).

What about when you absoultey do not agree with some choices that were made for those releases?

That would never be a factor.  The right thing to do is purchase it, so they get money to fund future releases, and leave feedback about what choices you did not like so that they could consider that feedback for future releases.

I never understood this fascination some people have with purposely waiting for their physical copy to arrive in the mail before listening.  If I want to listen to something, I just go listen to it *shrug*

18 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Like what?

Books (and I mean fancy, collector hardcover editions, not the cheap paperback stuff. Though to be honest, it's be a while since the last time I read a book, but I definitely want to go back to reading more!), films (again, generally fancy editions over the simple one-disc stuff), artbooks, making-of books...

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I definitely want to go back to reading more!

Me too, I used to read voraciously.  I checked out two books from the library and got through half of one of them before they were due.  I need to make a concerted effort to make time every night where I'm not looking at any screens, just reading.

I want to read more (books) also; I used to read all the time and just... never do any more.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I want to read more (books) also; I used to read all the time and just... never do any more.

Yup, me too.  I blame the proliferation of personal internet-connected devices.  I will say that I read a lot of books on my iPhone when my daughter was an infant.  Perfect activity while rocking a baby to sleep is to read a novel on your phone.  With our next baby coming next month, maybe I'll get a lot of reading done this summer!

Interesting point about giving feedback to record labels.

As for reading books, I stopped doing that five years ago except for some non-fiction about the suffragette movement and other topics that genuinely interest me. Novels just go on forever. I prefer films because they're much more fast-paced and direct and a film score is more effective than words for me.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

:o

So what's JW, then, chopped liver???!!!!!!!

I'm not afraid of saying it, but my interest for John Williams grew up visiting this forum.

Mainly because at first look, it seemed to be a close circle of initiated people... almost a secret sect... with people talking to each other using information and facts that seemed obvious to them, but not at all for me! 

I quickly discovered the complexity of John Williams's discographic career (I was not aware of it at all... wow, an expanded release... what does it eat in winter???) and unfortunately the absence of on-line and written ressources which documented it in an organized way.

So it gave me the idea of making my website... a complete discography which could show all the aspects of John Williams's career in one single place. A comprehensive discography which, at last, could lift the veil on the reality of "re-recorded" scores... and which could emphasize some particularities, like the "soundtracks conducted by others" (there are so very few, it deserve to be highlighted!), etc, etc.

After all, wanting only to untie knots... I discovered myself a real passion for John Williams's career and music.

This is it :)