John Williams in attendance at Henry Mancini Tribute

MovieMusicMaestro

Probably a joke. It's on April Fools' Day for crying out loud! :P

In all seriousness, though, this is interesting, thanks for letting us know. Hopefully the event is captured and posted on YouTube. 

No surprise JW will be attending given the location. I too assume he must be conducting (or at the very least giving a speech). 

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, cool! I don't think Williams has played piano publicly for a while. 

Hope a video surfaces!

Hadn't heard this piece before but it's really fun:

Williams must have really enjoyed himself. 

41 minutes ago, Will said:

Woah, cool! I don't think Williams has played piano publicly for a while. 

Hope a video surfaces!

Hadn't heard this piece before but it's really fun:

Williams must have really enjoyed himself. 

Watch this

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I hope it was filmed. I wanna see the video of the performance right now!

Marilee Bradford (wife of Jon Burlingame) posted a 1:27 video of the Peter Gunn performance on Facebook. Starts near the end of the piece. Shot from the audience.

When composer Williams took the stage, after conducting Chenoweth in an arrangement of “Moon River,” he too directed his memories at Ginny.

“I was all of 25 years old when Henry invited me to Universal Studios to play in his orchestra for a film session,” he recalled. “And apparently, it went very well, and I began to play with Henry on all of his recording sessions. He frequently had a chorus, and there was a beautiful young girl I kept noticing on session after session. One day I said to one of my musician friends, ‘Who is that fabulous blond girl up in the chorus? The third one in from the left.’ And he said, ‘Forget it. That’s Ginny, and she’s married to Hank.’

“So when Ginny invited me to be her date tonight, after I think 60 years” — Williams savored the pause — “I feel like I have finally made it.”

:lol::lol::lol:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-henry-mancini-tribute-20170402-htmlstory.html

I really hope there's video of this!

h/t @Maestro for writing up this gem.

5 hours ago, king mark said:

That's his new "anecdote" we'll be hearing several times in the next few years

He shouldn't come up with these with such haste. We were still savouring the Schindler's List one and then he came up with the one of Leia's theme written as a "love theme" for Luke and Leia last year and now he comes up with this Mancini story. Too many anecdotes Johnny baby. Too many anecdotes!

8 hours ago, thx99 said:

Marilee Bradford (wife of Jon Burlingame) posted a 1:27 video of the Peter Gunn performance on Facebook. Starts near the end of the piece. Shot from the audience.

Nice glimpse, but I would kill for having the beginning of the piece, with a closeup of Williams. Notice he "conducts" a bit from his piano stool towards the end there.

Pre-concert footage, at least.

Here's Williams chatting up Julie Andrews (always with his daughter Jennifer on tow):

Quincy Jones led in with Mancini's daughter in hand:

The whole gang assembled (except Jones):

One of the things I love about my house is how many more stars I can see at night compared to when we used to live closer to major cities

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Big cities are better!

Damn yokels!

The county I live in has a population density of 35 people/square mile (14 per square kilometer) :D 

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Ridiculous!

Hoorn has a density of 3,550/km2 (9,200/sq mi).

How dense are the people is the more important question I think.