IndyCast John Williams Specials - DIAL OF DESTINY

Faleel

If the film stems are out there, I'm gobsmacked they haven't leaked yet! Serves Lucasfilm right for basically sitting on the sessions and doing jack shit in over a decade about them.

Talk about wasted opportunity for revenue.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

If the film stems are out there, I'm gobsmacked they haven't leaked yet! Serves Lucasfilm right for basically sitting on the sessions and doing jack shit in over a decade about them.

Talk about wasted opportunity for revenue.

With all due respect, I could not disagree with this viewpoint more

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

With all due respect, I could not disagree with this viewpoint more

Which part, exactly? There is absolutely nothing stopping Lucasfilm from monetising not just the entire Star Wars series of complete scores, but all the Indy scores as well, if they so desired. Their refusal to do so does nothing except encourage fans to find alternate means to acquire these materials. If the entire film stem for TOD leaked, I wouldn't feel an ounce of sympathy for Lucasfilm because they've done jack shit with the property in a decade! It serves them right for sitting on their hands and letting an obvious opportunity (both in streaming and physical releases) go begging.

As evidenced by the speciality labels, there is a market for these scores and an audience who are fully willing to pay premium price to access them! Their steadfast refusal to do anything except regurgitate ancient masters or outdated assemblies (for two decades in the case of SW and one decade for Indy) is entirely worthy of criticism.

They'd make a ton more money through their streaming services and so forth, which speciality labels rarely get the licences for. They also wouldn't be limited to certain quantities of releases, allowing them to saturate the market.

Not to mention a major label has the full force of Disney's marketing behind it, probably with promotion on the official website and so forth.

It's only a matter of time. The new Indy film will be in production, new score etc. The recent Williams expansions seem to garnering a lot of positivity which will hopefully open the doors for the big guns (Star Wars, Indy and HP)

• 3 months later...

Haven't listened yet, but I would assume the film version of Water and Rope Bridge are in there (and the credits microedit)

• 3 months later...

Someone assembled an expanded edition of ToD using primarily, of course, the Concord release, all the Lego videogames available (I believe there're 2 or more games, right?) and those podcasts (but not in time to include the latest one with the film version of "Water" and the "End Credits" film edit).

I always considered ToD a very dynamic and versatile score where JW exceeds himself all the time, wherever Spielberg demanded music to be written. But listening to a clean version of those unreleased tracks chronologically with the rest of the score, I didn't exactly realise how creepy it is also. What kind of psychoactive herbs was JW on when he composed ToD???

If carefully assembled, ToD will be definitely my favorite Indy score. Unlike SW x ESB, where I like either one better than the other depending on my mood during the day... and the position of the moon, the alignment of Earth's magnetic field, the alignment of the planets, and so on.

I'd guess TOD has leapt to quite a few posters' most-wanted MM expansions now POA is out of the way. So much brutal, dark music remains unreleased, plus several alternates we've only heard excerpts of.

Not that I'm expecting it anytime soon... especially with Disney Records in charge of the license. At least they've shown a willingness to throw the chequebook at Williams ever since acquiring the franchise (in large part thanks to KK, no doubt).

ToD and E.T. where basically the ones who introduced my to JW, so I'm biased when it comes to talk about those scores. The ToD OST CD was never released on the remote planet I live, so, as I was just 12 years old and didn't even know what an OST album was, the "best" solution I found to enjoy the music was to record the audio from the VHS to a cassette tape. Luckily, it was a hi-fi stereo remastered VHS. Then came Napster... 😁

I honestly don't know what to expect from Disney. Since JW, if I understood correctly what read around here, determined that MM be involved in his future releases from now on, I guess we're okay... I hope we're okay. I pray we're okay.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'd guess TOD has leapt to quite a few posters' most-wanted MM expansions now POA is out of the way. So much brutal, dark music remains unreleased, plus several alternates we've only heard excerpts of.

Not that I'm expecting it anytime soon... especially with Disney Records in charge of the license. At least they've shown a willingness to throw the chequebook at Williams ever since acquiring the franchise (in large part thanks to KK, no doubt).

Nah, Last Crusade, we have heard pretty much everything we are aware of from TOD, and without SFX.

1 hour ago, phbart said:

We also have the Last Crusade bootlegs.

In horrible sound, sure the TOD stuff has some issues, but at least not a lot of tape hiss and warble!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:39 AM, Tom said:

Very nice.  It is cute that Williams seems to have no idea concerning what he was recorded in the past (BotFJ). 

Not sure if "cute" is the word, but regardless, it was evident at the sessions that Williams hadn't revisited BotFoJ in some time.  After a preliminary run-through of the entire piece sans Hooten (which was recorded), he came into the control room to discuss aspects of the performance and piece with Shawn Murphy.

BTW, @lairdo, I really enjoyed the interview and loved hearing Hooten discuss the genesis of the project.  Jerry Cole and David Paul (another donor) and their wives were in attendance.  I didn't get to speak with them, but I overheard David Paul, I believe, speaking with Williams about having worked with him back in his television days.  Stanley Wilson's name was mentioned at one point.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Awesome!  I had my name drawn as one of the winners for the Across the Stars CD giveaway!  :woop: Wonder if it will be standard or deluxe version?  Either way I'm excited as I held out on purchasing this in physical form.  Thanks, @lairdo !

19 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Awesome!  I had my name drawn as one of the winners for the Across the Stars CD giveaway!  :woop: Wonder if it will be standard or deluxe version?  Either way I'm excited as I held out on purchasing this in physical form.  Thanks, @lairdo !

Congratulations and thanks for listening! Standard edition (unless I get back to Seattle and find that DG sent me Deluxe ones - I was told we were getting just standard). In any case, enjoy the disc! I'll be mailing it on Monday when I am back.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I love how Mike's introduction music was unreleased Temple of Doom music lol

I had a good chuckle at that too :lol:

Talk about salt in the wound :P

And yes very nice shout-out to Jay in the opening minutes!

I'd love to listen to the whole thing but I don't think I will find the time anytime soon. 

Has anyone listened to this already and is willing to summarise the most interesting points (especially whether Mike said something about future releases)? 

Nothing major.

He mentioned that Williams referenced his bound scores for titles to unreleased cues.