IndyCast John Williams Specials - DIAL OF DESTINY

Faleel

Hah! Wishful thinking... somehow I don't think a single cue title is missing or unknown from Hook though :lol:

Maybe one of his earlier scores where paperwork is more scarce. I have no real idea how common/uncommon it is for a JW score to have unknown cue titles after all these years (probably very common).

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sidenote -- I haven't heard those TLC cues towards the end of the interview in such good quality (around 1:56 for the alternate 9M2). Clearly from a boot but certainly better sounding than anything I've previously heard. :conf:

It's surely from the future Indiana Jones expansion but not entirely clean up :lol:

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Interesting tidbit about JW recently pulling out a leather bound score for Mike so he could source some original cue titles (that must have missing from the tape reels and whatever paperwork the studio had). Wonder what this score is? Hopefully we find out in a later podcast.

Yes, this is the closest we get to any kind of tease for upcoming releases.  Pretty cool, can't wait to find out what it was for.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

OK listened to the next 40 minutes or so on my way home tonight.

I loved the stories told about liking film music and how other people in your life feel about it, and how the general public just doesn't get it!

I feel like this has gotten a bit better (not by much, but a little) with the introduction of video games and such

10 hours ago, lairdo said:

Mike was incredibly generous with his time and stories, and he was kind enough to listen to my first edit pass to ensure we had everything as he liked it. As you can expect, he gave good notes to ensure the most intelligibility and clarity. (Nothing was lost in some big cut! There is not some story he gave us that I had to remove. And we never asked him what soundtracks were coming out soon since he would not have been able to tell us anyway.)

I thought about actually releasing the interview in two parts, but I did not feel there was an obvious break to do so. Everything just flowed from one topic to another. It was a fantastic way to spend a Saturday! I am glad the reaction is positive!

And thank you for the kind words about Ron and me as interviewers. Happily, we mostly just asked a few decent questions and let Mike take it from there.

The source of the TLC tracks is from something I found at a fan show (it might actually have been the big annual Star Trek show that used to be in Pasadena - maybe this was 2000 or thereabouts). The title is "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Complete Film Collection." This is noisy but not bad overall. I left the noise in both due to time and just not wanting to fuss with it. I also have the "vol 2" bootleg as well that is pretty hard to listen to. I think that is the one which originated from the Spain tracks? Not sure where this "Complete" one is sourced from.

Listening to it now. Great work, Laird! Congrats!

Listened to the next 40 minutes on my way into work this morning.  This was mostly the Indiana Jones movie talk.  Mike's take on the franchise as a whole, including Young Indy and Indy 4's place in it, was pretty interesting!

Between the posts here last week and now this, I am really feeling like checking out the Young Indy series again for the first time since I was a kid.  I'll have to see if I can track down the original versions.

I like hearing MM talk about how JW is healthy and still writing music every day, even if he "crumples it up and throws it in the waste basket".  The talk about how the music lives on in live performances even when the films don't set the world on fire was nice too

As I was pulling into work, they were wrapping things up, but when I got out of the car, my phone said there's still 40 minutes left to go! I guess something else must come up after they tried to wrap things :)

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like hearing MM talk about how JW is healthy and still writing music every day, even if he "crumples it up and throws it in the waste basket".

Yes, I think the best reaction to the Indy 5 news he expressed well, something like "I like that it means he feels up to taking on a project like that at his age."

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

As I was pulling into work, they were wrapping things up, but when I got out of the car, my phone said there's still 40 minutes left to go! I guess something else must come up after they tried to wrap things :)

Yes, they came back on with Mike for a bit to talk about the announcement of JW scoring Indy V.  That and they played selections of music at the end as they always do.  Fascinating interview!  Hope they get Mike back on to talk more!

Oh yea, and that rendition of 9M2 New Ending from The Last Crusade they played did indeed sound really good, better than any of the boots I have ever heard!

6 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Listening to it now. Great work, Laird! Congrats!

Thank you!

Yea, it really is a great interview, so many touching stories told, and so many elements where the three of you can relate to each other, and we the listener can relate as well

Wait, Mike came back and resumed the interview after first wrapping up around the 1:54 mark?! He didn't mention JW scoring scoring Indy 5 at all from what I heard.

I was wondering why the audio was another 40 minutes long but figured it was just a debrief with the hosts, so I went to sleep...

Yea same, I also ended at the initial wrapup and there'd been no talking of JW scoring Indy 5 yet

@lairdo

Fantastic interview and episode.  Thanks for all you do in the Indy and John Williams world.  My only gripe is that it wasn't 5 hours long.

It was amazing but not totally surprising to hear Mike's love for Young Indy.  He knew his stuff, especially when he talked about 'Journey of Radiance.'  One of the best Corey Carrier episodes and also one of the best 'messages' the show ever told.

The Young Indy scores are my ultimate grail, I couldn't imagine having everything from them expanded but Mike having an extreme interest in the show raised my hope from 1% to 5% they'll ever be fully released.

I wish Disney+ or whatever streaming service holds the rights would have the Young Indy series available to watch.  I never watched it when I was younger and wouldn't mind binging it.

40 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I wish Disney+ or whatever streaming service holds the rights would have the Young Indy series available to watch.  I never watched it when I was younger and wouldn't mind binging it.

They're all on YouTube as a playlist if you can stream youtube on your tv.

The quality will be a little meh if you're used to blu ray and 4k.

The DVDs themselves are great because every episode has a mini documentary on the historical aspect of each episode.  They're worth it if you end up enjoying the series.

6 hours ago, phbart said:

The only thing I need is a decent sounding ToD expanded release. Everything else, I can patiently and happily wait for.

And TLC.  There's a few cues that I can't wait to hear in good quality. The bootleg is etched into my mind with those cues.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:24 PM, Jay said:

Every fan of John Williams should really listen to Mike's story about Superbowl Sunday 2017, and getting to listen to every take of every cue from Close Encounters and all the dialogue captured in between takes... including a 20 minute long continuous take of the choir experimenting with different sounds and moods and tones with audio from Williams at the podium and Spielberg in the booth... fascinating stuff.

Oh my gosh!!!! I would buy a 45th or 50th anniversary reissue of the score just to hear that!!

Just thought I would mention (just in case it is unclear), a bit of background on the use of the unreleased Anything Goes olayoff + Tribute to Vernon: all their interview segments use it, as the conceit is that the interview takes place "in club obi-wan", as they are sort of related to the Forcecast which did "in the cantina" interview segments using Cantina Band.

On 5/7/2021 at 3:12 AM, Bellosh said:

And TLC.  There's a few cues that I can't wait to hear in good quality. The bootleg is etched into my mind with those cues.

Well... yes, you're right. But ToD first. :D

On 5/7/2021 at 4:54 PM, Corellian2019 said:

Oh my gosh!!!! I would buy a 45th or 50th anniversary reissue of the score just to hear that!!

I was gonna say EXACTLY the same thing. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

29 minutes ago, Brando said:

For an Indiana Jones expansion, would they do a box set or individual releases?

Nobody knows, either or I suppose. If they did a boxset that just included the scores for the original trilogy they could easily get away with a boxset like Harry Potter. Including KotCS I imagine would still be doable, but would perhaps be pushing it a bit. 

I'm not even sure box sets of film scores will be a thing for major labels like Disney Records, when they finally get around to these scores (which probably won't be until after Williams finishes Indy 5).

They seem more invested in collector's edition vinyl sets, at least when it comes to Williams :unsure:

13 hours ago, Brando said:

For an Indiana Jones expansion, would they do a box set or individual releases?

I don't think anybody on this forum works for Disney Records nor could accurately prodict how they decide what they decide. 

Why did the Legacy Collection run for a few years then completely stop, and is now being revived again?  Who knows. 

Why did they take the 1997 expansions of the original Star Wars scores off the market and are only selling the OST albums?  Who knows. 

Why are they only selling the Concord programs of the original Indiana Jones scores and not their OST albums?  Who knows.

Why did Star Wars get a lavish 40th anniversary LP set and Empire didn't?  Who knows. 

Why did Infinity War, Endgame, and Far From Home get CD releases but Black Panther,  Captain Marvel, and Ant-man the Wasp only got digital (with Mondo vinyl)?  Who knows.

If they ever hire Mike to do new IJ expansions maybe they'll come in a boxset, maybe they'll all be separate SKUs, who knows.

My best guess will be separate releases, but all released on the same day.

It's curious how they disowned all previous Star Wars expansions but embraced the Concord expansions of the Indy scores on streaming platforms (wouldn't the OSTs make more sense, in line with Star Wars?)

TBH I've long since given up trying to understand whatever logic (if any) is behind these decisions. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2021 at 3:20 PM, ATXHusker said:

Young Indy is now on Paramount Plus.  Not sure how long Paramount has the rights for them, but figured I'd let you know.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 11:34 AM, crumbs said:

Interesting tidbit about JW recently pulling out a leather bound score for Mike so he could source some original cue titles (that must have missing from the tape reels and whatever paperwork the studio had). Wonder what this score is? Hopefully we find out in a later podcast.

Yesterday's podcast with Mike and Maurizio reveal which one it was

• 9 months later...

New episode:

http://theindycast.com/indycast-special-the-magic-of-john-williams-61/

Ron shares with Laird and all of you his recent experience getting to hear the Maestro John Williams and violinist extraordinaire Anne-Sophie Mutter live in concert with the Philadelphia Orchestra. They listen to audio from that magical night and the one that followed two days later in Carnegie Hall this past April. Plus news, more music and a preview of upcoming John Williams releases.

The previews they play are the already released singles from Gathering of Friends and Violin Concerto #2 albums

Calling it click bait is a bit harsh IMO.  Good grief it’s an Indiana Jones website, not a JW fan site.  I’m sure some of their listeners aren’t aware of any upcoming JW releases before listening to their podcasts.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Rick said:

Calling it click bait is a bit harsh IMO.  Good grief it’s an Indiana Jones website, not a JW fan site.  I’m sure some of their listeners aren’t aware of any upcoming JW releases before listening to their podcasts.  

Thanks so much, Dr. Rick, for defending us. Looks like whoever wrote that removed the comment so thanks to them too.

(It's probably not clear that the links in our show notes do NOT give us any revenue or anything like that if there was some concern about that. We don't derive any money from anything at the IndyCast. All just for the fun and love of Indy and related stuff.)

And as you guessed, indeed, we hear from our listeners that our podcast does indeed flag them about music they do not know is coming. 

• 4 weeks later...