Star Wars: The Last Jedi scoring sessions resume in Los Angeles

Amer

Yes, very cool and very real (and I know, very hard to believe, for myself included!). I initially wasn't going to ask him anything at all (obviously there's so much he can't say and so much I wouldn't even want to know until I saw the film anyway), but I had to just ask something about the experience of it all, and I knew that for me getting to work with JW would be the most absolutely insane aspect of it all and probably the most rewarding thing as a Star Wars fan (in my opinion). So yeah, it was awesome just to get a sense from him what it was like, he just seemed really honestly enthused about it (he wasn't just blandly saying that JW is great or whatever, his eyes really lit up when I mentioned the name) and about working on the film in general. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

"John has outdone himself again..."

Or like Alan Parker said: "If I sound too gushing, I make no apologies; the man is brilliant."

Does anyone else hope Williams has re-recorded the Main Title?

No slight against Gustavo's conducting on TFA, but that recording just didn't cut the mustard. Call it a combination of factors but the opening note really throws out the balance of the whole track.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

It's because of the orchestra, not the conductor! Bring back the LSO! And re-record TFA, while you're at it!

TFA is fine overall, no issue with the excellent performances.

I can't even pinpoint why the TFA Main Titles feel underwhelming to me, other than the obvious opening note thing. I feel the same about the Raiders March performance from KOTCS. Is it the modern recording equipment or the different performance? Digital vs analogue? Something intangible feels less 'warm' in both instances, whether the recording, performance or otherwise.

In the TFA SWO podcast, David Collins had some interesting thoughts on what he felt happened with the TFA recording, but ultimately seemed a bit perplexed.

Yeah, presumably that was a time-saving exercise to fit in more rehearsals for the new cues -- why waste half a morning re-recording the Main Titles when the TPM version was basically note-perfect?

Hopefully with US musicians there's legal/contractual/union issues that disincentivize re-using existing recordings, or make re-recordings easier than filing the paperwork for re-use fees (presumably there have been some roster changes to the musicians involved).

He's also being given another luxurious recording schedule so there's seemingly no time-constraints, unlike with the LSO.

Half a morning. How long is a session, 3 hours? And the prequels were about 10 days of recording, so 2 sessions a day?

I've never really studied the cue recording breakdowns but I'm guessing they get through about 3 cues in each session, depending on length/complexity (or if JW intends it to be a feature track on the OST).

Wow, that's impressive! Thanks for the breakdown, never seen it before.

I didn't even realise every 'take' sequentially builds from all previous takes for every cue, rather than being specific to each cue. I'd wondered why Williams needed 20 takes of Main Title to get it right. :P

Is that still the convention for modern scores?

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow, that's impressive! Thanks for the breakdown, never seen it before.

You don't own the original RCA Victor Star Wars Special Edition soundtracks where it can be found then? The horror! The horror! :o

Just now, crumbs said:

Nope. I've got the 128kbps MP3s on my iPod though! They sound amazing through my Apple earphones!

Blasphemer!:stick:

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Of course!

EDIT: Here's a list of the slates used for Empire of the Sun.

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=6800

Indeed. If the LSO didnt need to take a whole morning for the SW title crawl music in 1977 the famously efficient LA musicians won't either. They can probably sight-read that puppy and move on to the next take.

Huh?  You are not responding to the same line of discussion we are.  We're talking about the Take Numbers continuing to increase their numbers throughout the entire sessions, rather than resetting to Take #1 for each cue.

Just now, Jay said:

We're talking about the Take Numbers continuing to increase their numbers throughout the entire sessions, rather than resetting to Take #1 for each cue.

That seems to render the meaning of the word "take" meaningless.

That information is still easily figured out on the paperwork.

For example, during the morning session of March 5th 1977, this is what was recorded at  Anvil Studios

Takes 1-7 = 7 takes of 9M2 The Swashbucklers

Takes 8-10 = 3 takes of 7M1 New Is It a Bird?

Takes 11-15 = 5 takes of 9M3/10M1 Ben's Death

Takes 16-20 = 5 takes of the Main Title

Takes 21-23 = 3 takes of 3M1 Rev. The Princess Appears

Makes sense to me?  Maybe I'm not understanding what it is you think is inferior about this standard.

Yea, they think of it as Star Wars take 8 is the first take we did of 7M1.

Numbering recording sessions that way was actually immensely helpful in figuring out where tapes might be for a project I recently worked on that had over 400 takes!  It also helped realize what order certain things were recorded in, and why some inserts used in the film were different than versions used on the OST album, etc.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, they think of it as Star Wars take 8 is the first take we did of 9M2.

Numbering recording sessions that way was actually immensely helpful in figuring out where tapes might be for a project I recently worked on that had over 400 takes!  It also helped realize what order certain things were recorded in, and why some inserts used in the film were different than versions used on the OST album, etc.

I certainly defer to you on this one.  I have never and will never undertake a project like that.

Wow, I never realized the way takes are numbered either. I always thought there were 20 takes of the main title alone!

8 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I wonder when it hit each of them that they were recording something special. 

It's funny you bring that up.  I was just this morning reading Charles Gerhardt's liner notes for his Star Wars/Close Encounters album from '78.  He had never recorded a modern film score at the time and he specifically says:

"I first heard the music of 'Star Wars' in March 1977 when John was in London recording his score for the picture with the London Symphony.  He conducted it himself and I immediately felt that here was a piece I wanted to perform in public and, even if there were a soundtrack album, to record myself.  There is something special about finding music written now that I want to perform."

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It's always so surreal to me to look at a cue list for a classic score like that. All that great music just broken down into a daily to-do list.

I wonder when it hit each of them that they were recording something special. I know by the end of the first day I would have been excited to go back again and hear what else was coming, but I wonder when the scope of the thing would have begun to register. "Princess Leia's Theme" on the second day? "Burning Homestead" on the third day? I imagine "Throne Room" and "End Title" to begin the sixth day would have sealed the deal.

It still blows my mind that "Chasm Crossfire" was the very first cue they did, before even the main title.  Hearing the main theme trumpeting out in that cue alone would have sealed the deal for me as this being a unique score not like many other being written in the late 70s.

8 minutes ago, Will said:

Wow, I never realized the way takes are numbered either. I always thought there were 20 takes of the main title alone!

maxresdefault.jpg (1280×720)

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's funny you bring that up.  I was just this morning reading Charles Gerhardt's liner notes for his Star Wars/Close Encounters album from '78.  He had never recorded a modern film score at the time and he specifically says:

"I first heard the music of 'Star Wars' in March 1977 when John was in London recording his score for the picture with the London Symphony.  He conducted it himself and I immediately felt that here was a piece I wanted to perform in public and, even if there were a soundtrack album, to record myself.  There is something special about finding music written now that I want to perform."

Ha, that's great!

On the subject of take numbers, the Force Awakens scoring featurette indicates that 1M1 (Main Titles) was take 756! I know TFA had an unusual scoring process but that's a staggering amount of takes for one film, is it not?

For all we know 1M1 wasn't even the last cue recorded (anyone know what sessions Gustavo conducted?) so the total takes might have been over 800. If JW averaged 5 takes per cue, that equates to about 160 cues written for TFA all up (including alternates, inserts, concert versions, etc.)

Makes you wonder how hard an expansion would be to assemble; that's a lot of music to sift through!

• 3 weeks later...