The Last Jedi trailer this Friday

ocelot

So seeing as they will be dropping the first trailer to The Last Jedi this Friday at Star Wars Celebration. Do we know if Williams composed the music for it? Hope to hear some new music in it. Mind you I just can't wait to see the trailer!

Well he has already recorded a bunch of music already if not a majority of the film so far, I would think they could use some of it. Let's see....

22 minutes ago, king mark said:

And they use Williams music (Imperial march) for the Rogue One Blu ray commercials

But are they actual Williams variations from the films or trailer-ized ones?

37 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Mind you I just can't wait to see the trailer!

Me too man! Whether or not there's Williams music (I'm assuming there won't be just so I'm not disappointed). I've been practically counting down for months! Crazy to think we only have three more days to wait. 

I can still remember the pages and pages of debate over whether that TFA TV Spot with Jedi Steps was a Williams composition or not.

I'm inclined to think they won't use any Williams music for the first trailer unless he composed it specifically for marketing use.

1 hour ago, king mark said:

I hope so, though we might be debating  if it's that Erskine guy for the next year or so

Erskine said that he was not involved with the orchestra, he just did the background synthesizers and percussion. Mike Rubino was credited with composing the orchestral parts for the trailers, he even lists it on his website.

I can't see any possible future where actual Williams score is used in the trailer.  It will be some trailer-house composed synth-french horn rendition of the Force theme with choir on top and drums on bottom.  
Though it's probably for the best that we won't hear any new Williams music, especially this early on.  Part of what made TFA's music so special was the tight lid kept on it.  

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I can still remember the pages and pages of debate over whether that TFA TV Spot with Jedi Steps was a Williams composition or not.

Lol yeah, I was definitely one of the skeptical ones. I still think it sounds kinda crummy in that spot, though, it was a lame debut. 

I seem to remember mostly feeling concerned about people putting so much expectation on it being Rey's Theme when I didn't think it had the right shape or rhythmic propulsion for an action/adventure theme...I was a little too relieved when it turned out it was only in the score at the end haha. Of course the irony now is I'd be thrilled for it to have a featured role in TLJ.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I can't see any possible future where actual Williams score is used in the trailer.  It will be some trailer-house composed synth-french horn rendition of the Force theme with choir on top and drums on bottom.  
Though it's probably for the best that we won't hear any new Williams music, especially this early on.  Part of what made TFA's music so special was the tight lid kept on it.  

Yes but for TFA he did compose the music for the first teaser trailer if I remember correctly. None of the music was in the film, only for the trailer.

It would make sense to use Rey's theme. It is still about her journey.

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Yes, he sometimes does that.

Prologue from Hook is the best example, although this theme was of course used in the film proper.

And Hedwigs Theme for Harry Potter

So what this trailer will show... The last Jedi... ok... obviously Kylo Ren is upset against that "girl". So he will look for her.

The "girl" will obvisously become a Jedi, under the teaching of Master Luke (ha ha, sorry, but I still don't believe it!).

And Snoke.. we will not know who he is until the last episode (I still believe he's Plagueis).

Maybe a little tweet by R2... maybe a little dull joke by C3-PO... what to expect...

A tender moment showing Leia...

A tender moment showing Poe and Finn... (I'd like to see that!)

What else...

I'm sure Poe and Fin are an item!

As for me, I want to know who Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro are playing. I thought Laura Dern would be playing Crise Sindian from the book Bloodline, but apparently they say that her description in the book is Asian. I read it and I never got that from the description so now I am at a loss as to who she is playing. And I'm hoping Benicio Del Toro is Ezra gone neutral or bad but that's not really gonna happen....

2 hours ago, ocelot said:

As for me, I want to know who Laura Dern and Benicio Del Toro are playing.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much.  I remember being excited about Max Von Sydow, and then he got 2 minutes of screen time.  Same for Lupita.

3 hours ago, hornist said:

Even if this trailer will have Williams' music, the JWfan will never be able to recognize it so who cares?

It was incredibly obvious the TFA teaser trailer was Williams. It was all the ones that were entirely questionable and, indeed, NOT him despite claims on these forums, which I found more ludicrous than my asking some guy on Twitter if the music in a car commercial was from the TFA score.

That being said, I chalk it up to us all being starved and desperate for good film music. We're still in a very serious drought. It seems everything rides on a new Williams Star Wars score where he just rips himself off in the style of the late James Horner.

5 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

It was incredibly obvious the TFA teaser trailer was Williams. It was all the ones that were entirely questionable and, indeed, NOT him despite claims on these forums, which I found more ludicrous than my asking some guy on Twitter if the music in a car commercial was from the TFA score.

That being said, I chalk it up to us all being starved and desperate for good film music. We're still in a very serious drought. It seems everything rides on a new Williams Star Wars score where he just rips himself off in the style of the late James Horner.

Not quite.  When the commercial with the Jedi Steps theme was released, there was debate whether it was Williams.  In fact, the general consensus was that it was not by Williams. 

That commercial (not trailer) was the exception. There's nothing by Williams in teaser 2 or the theatrical trailer, but people were claiming he was involved. As Bill Paxton once told Helen Hunt, "No way."

Wow, can't believe today's the day. Been essentially counting down for months. 

Won't be able to watch this until tonight because we have family over and are doing some stuff, but I'll be thinking about it constantly all day.

:woop:

think I'm still planning on not watching any of the marketing material for this movie.  I did it for VII, but I also wasn't visiting a board like this daily in 2015, so it was easier to just not engage.  It really was quite an experience seeing TFA the first time knowing almost nothing about it beyond Han Solo was back and there was a spherical droid (BB-8 was impossible to avoid in the lead-up to VII).

9 minutes ago, Will said:

Wow, can't believe today's the day. Been essentially counting down for months. 

Won't be able to watch this until tonight because we have family over and are doing some stuff, but I'll be thinking about it constantly all day.

:woop:

You should be thinking about your family instead, your loved ones. They won't be here forever. The trailer will.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

You should be thinking about your family instead, your loved ones. They won't be here forever. The trailer will.

Oh, I'm certainly excited for that too! In fact, one of the reasons my memories of TFA are so fond was that it was Christmas and we were visiting family at the time. 

However, forgive a Star Wars fan if he cannot keep his focus entirely on the here and now when he knows a new trailer is out there. 

I'm sure your loved ones would be really touched to know you'll be thinking about the trailer for the umpteenth episode in an endless series of films while they'll be talking to you about personal problems they encountered, their upcoming mariage, a new baby arriving in the family, etc.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Is this the trailer or the teaser for the trailer?

I don't know, but I know the family is for the family.

We should have run a poll on which Star Wars themes will receive bad synth renditions in this trailer? The Force Theme and Luke's Theme are the obvious shoe-ins.

Fat chance of ever having another trailer with non-specific music like that first TFA teaser JW scored.

I'm hoping for a peek of Snoke in the trailer wearing the "jester" clothes he reportedly would wear in VIII.

And another thing: people freaked out about the exclusion of Rey from toys and merchandising for TFA, but we still have yet to get a Snoke action figure!

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

We should have run a poll on which Star Wars themes will receive bad synth renditions in this trailer?

Rey's theme, Jabba the Hutt's theme, and closing with Duel of the Fates