The Last Jedi trailer this Friday

ocelot

The thing is: why would they bother getting someone to do a Williams impersonation when they could just ask Williams to do it? if his schedule was overbooked, then sure, it would be understandable, but it doesn't look like it.

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm not sure what you're defining as "significant" but the infamous ABC TV spot added goofy stuff to Jedi Steps.

Did it really though? I thought they were pretty faithful overall, even though there was some extra stuff in the sound design. Most of the stuff people thought was trailer-ized was essentially all Williams' orchestration. See here:

It wasn't anything comparable to the level of trailer-ization we heard in the TLJ one, IMO. 

Yeah I still think it sounds pretty bad in that spot. At the time I eventually accepted that the flute melody was probably Williams, but I was never convinced the "Luke reveal" part was him just because of how canned it sounds there.

One thing is certain. The only SW trailer 100% scored by John Williams is the original TFA teaser. While this one starts out sounding like Williams, it once again veers into un-Williams territory. And once again, JWFan is plunged into chaos.

And then on YouTube here:

Insert creative username here - 14 hours ago

The action pard weirdly reminded me of Olympic Fanfare and Theme. Very Williams-like, whoever composed it. Great trailer music, great rip!

Frederick Lloyd/Ursine Vulpine - 5 hours ago

Thank you! ;)

Lloyd did half of the TFA theatrical trailer (the part with Han and the Princess, power anthem Force theme, etc.) 

Now he's hinting that, at the very least, the power anthem stuff here was his (possibly in collaboration with this Pusher music house he mentions). 

Also on his website (http://www.ursinevulpine.com/trailers/) it says this:

featuring 'Reverence Enduring' - Ursine Vulpine arrangement of multiple Star Wars Themes

Okay so I strongly believe now that Williams had nothing to do with the second half of this teaser. However, I'm not sure if Lloyd can write more subtle music like in the first half, so that could be someone else (even Williams). 

There is still that Score a Score involvement we know from the Facebook post. "Work on the music" though could simply mean they added a few drums somewhere or whatever. Here's their website: http://scoreascore.com/ I can't tell if they ever actually compose music or not. 

I reached out to both Lloyd and Score a Score in the Facebook comments, so we'll see if I hear back. Pusher does not seem to have a Facebook. 

So, wow, at least three music houses involved! Not sure if they'd need that if they were just making some changes to a Williams cue...

I think I've seen this teaser at least 15 times by now. So good!

I love that they returned to the simple, elegant font of the TFA trailers rather than the Rogue One font. 

Man, the music/picture combo is incredible right when we see Poe and BB-8 running, then the ship exploding, and then Rey's theme with the Falcon. 

One strange thing I did notice: Is it just me, or does the music seem to come to an abrupt conclusion. We see the Falcon soaring, but then with the fire scene it seems to be like the composer realized "Oh shoot, the trailer's almost over, better tack on a coda!"

I've of course gotten used to it by now and enjoy it, but it seemed a little weird at first, like I was expecting the trailer to continue longer than it did. 

Did this dialog in The Force Awakens trailer ever appear in the film?  "Who are you?" "I'm no one".  Interestingly, there is no mention of the Star Wars theme in TLJ trailer.  Like we had here:

1 minute ago, karelm said:

Did this dialog in The Force Awakens trailer ever appear in the film?  "Who are you?" "I'm no one".  Interestingly, there is no mention of the Star Wars theme in TLJ trailer.  Like we had here:

I don't think those lines made it, you're right. 

I forgot, everyone here is obsessed with Disney Star Wars now, like everyone else in the world. Time to vacate all Star Wars threads again. Wake me up from regeneration when there's new Williams music.

14 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

There technically is right now.  We just haven't heard it yet.

Or have we...? ;)

----------

Lloyd replied to my Facebook comment:

Thank you for the kind words! Unfortunately, as much as i'd love to, I can't give you much insight i'm afraid! I do wish I could though!

Well. The Disney information lockdown continues. It's tempting to try to read into that comment (i.e. why wouldn't Disney let him talk about it) but I think it's just another example of their CIA-like info protection -- his tweet from last year saying which parts of TFA trailer 3 he composed was deleted, for example (https://twitter.com/UrsineVulpine/status/656385734891446272). 

(Score a Score hasn't replied to my post thus far.)

I did think when I watched the teaser that some of the music sounded very much like Lloyd's TFA trailer three stuff (particularly the power anthem Force theme). 

@Manakin Skywalker, I don't think your guy Rubino was involved, given that we already know of three other trailer houses involved.

18 minutes ago, Will said:

@Manakin Skywalker, I don't think your guy Rubino was involved, given that we already know of three other trailer houses involved.

Yeah I figured that. I've never heard of this guy until now, but he seems to have a pretty decent repertoire under his belt. Made sure to give him credit in the description of the video.

22 hours ago, ocelot said:

It's interplay to the extreme and creates a universe that is so rich in its tapestry and mythology. That's why I love complicated universes.

Yeah, I really love that aspect. It's a massive, epic tale that could function as a religion/history nearly on par in scope with real life. 

Not impressed with this trailer.

But then, the very first trailer usually fails to impress me. We have 8 months to go until the release of the movie, after all.

I like trailers that give very little away.  This one falls under that category.  We already knew Luke and Rey would be together and likely in the first act.  I would wager that space battle happens in the first 30 minutes of the movie as well.