SOUNDTRACK: The Return Of The King - Howard Shore (2003)

BloodBoal

I still have no idea what the hell is going on with the digital/streaming releases of the LOTR soundtracks.

On Google Play, the OSTs are actually listed as "Lord of the Rings", "Lord of the Rings 2", and "Lord of the Rings 3."  And yeah, ROTK is the only CR on there.

Capture.PNG

Yup ROTK is the only CR on Spotify too

I think FOTR has something to do with Enya rights, not sure about TTT though.

The DOS OST has never been on Spotify either, which is really annoying

It is on my Spotify. ;)

There's also the odd thing regarding the ROTK OST, for which the The Return of The King track isn't available on Spotify for some reason (what could be the reason for that? Viggo Mortensen didn't give his approval?).

That's another weird quirk that happens on Spotify sometimes.

With War Horse for example, track #1 (Dartmoor, 1912) isn't available to play, either in the War Horse album OR on the John Williams 80th Birthday celebration CD!

Why?  Who the hell knows!

I don't get emotionally attached to memorabilia as a general rule. They aren't valuable enough for me to sell them yet, but that's not to say they wouldn't hit a price where I would.

Don't get me wrong, It's a beautiful set, and quite possibly the finest presentation (both in terms of physical presentation and music) of a score ever. But I don't have an emotional attachment to them, and haven't pulled them off the shelf since I ripped the discs. 

31 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Seriously? On most websites, they're being sold for about $300. How much more could you want?!

Dunno. How much you got?

1 hour ago, SafeUnderHill said:

On iTunes I've got their sort names as 'Lord of the Rings 1', 'Lord of the Rings 2' and 'Lord of the Rings 3'.

Ah.  I've got my iTunes sorted by year within artist, so I don't have to worry about that.  Also, you know you can define a 'Sort Album' title that's separate from the main 'Album' title, right?

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

I'm late to the game on this discussion but Gollum's Song is my favorite LOTR song by far.  It has the seductive feel of a Bond song but of course much more dark and tragic.

Brother!

15 hours ago, MrScratch said:

It has the seductive feel of a Bond song but of course much more dark and tragic.

Its freaking depressing, is what it is!

Emiliana Torrini's interpretation is the absolute best.

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:46 PM, Jay said:

With War Horse for example, track #1 (Dartmoor, 1912) isn't available to play, either in the War Horse album OR on the John Williams 80th Birthday celebration CD!

Got to be some sort of glitch. Spotify is a buggy piece of crap that can't manage different versions of tracks to save its life.

I think Doug indicated that it might be apathy on the label's part - digital downloads weren't a 'thing' when Fotr/TTT came out, and someone's actually got to go back and digitize them for sale, and I suppose there are rights issues for all the soloists and Enya. Maybe they just thought the returns wouldn't justify it.

I’m pretty sure the example tracks you’ve given are “Album-only” on iTunes, and unable to stream for Apple Music members, too. Unless they’ve bought the album, that is.

it’s probably some kind of weird digital licensing thing

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/04/2017 at 8:46 AM, Jay said:

That's the same on YouTube music. The opening Dartmoor music is on the Spielberg Williams album as part of the War Horse track, but I like the OST Dartmoor album opener and they don't have it. Really weird.