REMIXED & RESTORED: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Mr. Breathmask

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, this is what I've been waitin' on!  Nice one, including the Goldsmith fanfare ;)

God I love the percussion in this score.  Those funky tribal drums at the end of the first cue are great, and only a hint of the coolness to come! 

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nice one, including the Goldsmith fanfare ;)

You can never have enough Goldsmith.

Also, The Lost World was actually the first Universal release to feature this track. So how could I not include it?

2. Revealing the Plans
2M2 Revealing the Plans

A brief atmospheric cue for Malcolm's sinking realization that Sarah is already on the island ends with a reprise of the adventure theme from Jurassic Park. Apart from this brief "mission statement" rendition, the adventure theme is used exclusively for references to the old park or John Hammond throughout The Lost World. This cue plays in the film as written.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Very nice Marc!

i don't suppose you could do The Hunt next right? Because thats the one we are all waiting for. ;)

:lol: True!

Let the Hunt begin!

Patience!

There's still some work to do on The Hunt, actually.

But hey, it's track 7, so it shouldn't take too long before you get to see it. ;)

And to be honest, The Hunt isn't my favorite restored music at all. There's so much other really cool stuff.

"The Hunt" remains my personal favorite cue of the score, even with all the amazing unreleased music we finally got last year.  I guess after 20 years I'm just attached to it.

I doubt it will. But it's hard to restore it properly anyway, since the sequence was likely heavily restructured after scoring and any re-editing I do of the finished film to line it up to the score will be nothing more than my best guess.

3. To the Island **
3M1 To the Island

This track features the first of two renditions of the Lost World theme. The theme was tracked into various places in the final film, but was written to play only on the heroes’ arrival and departure of the island. An edited version of this track plays in the film. It is likely the boat scene was slightly truncated after the score was recorded.

4. The Stegosaurus, part 1
3M2 The Stegosaurus

For the first appearance of these majestic herbivores, Williams employs a sound reminiscent of the wonder featured in My Friend, the Brachiosaurus (albeit with a slightly darker tone befitting the sequel score). This cue was coupled with the next cue on the original soundtrack album and the La-La Land release, but they’re actually two cues separated by a few minutes of musical silence in the film. This cue is used in its entirety.

Tomorrow, we get our first significant piece of dropped music!

5. The Stegosaurus, part 2 *
3M3 Finding the Baby

This cue features the first significant stretch of music that was dropped from the film in its entirety. The brief bit of action scoring that starts the cue was dropped in favor of silence. It amounts to about thirty seconds of unused music (and we're about to see much bigger pieces dropped).

The film picks up the music as Sarah starts taking pictures of the baby stegosaurus, again underscoring the wonder of nature. This particular sound and motif used for the encounter with the baby stegosaurus will return when we see the infant animals in captivity and will culminate in a piece of music for the baby T-Rex that was dropped from the film in its entirety. We’ll call this the infant motif. The cue continues as written, except for a small edit as the stegosauruses attack Sarah. It’s likely some last-minute trims were made to the effect shots. Notice how the percussion is present, but works in tandem with the orchestra, rather than driving the music forward. We won’t hear that until the film’s antagonist team arrives. The music then fades out slightly earlier than it does on album, leaving Nick’s speech about winning the Pullitzer Prize unscored.

Yeah that opening music seems way too overbearing for the actual scene

and I love that infant theme

also I wondered if there was originally a scene that actually showed the stegosaurus leaving, rather than eddie just saying they are

Yes, the action music is too much. And it breaks the wondrous mood they had going up until then. You really don't want the danger to be underlined until the camera whirr goes off.

We know there was more to the end of this sequence. There's a script online that has a whole extended bit with a bunch of other dinosaurs appearing:

28	IN THE CLEARING,

Sarah crawls free of the log and scrambles away on all fours
	as the stego herd darts away, disappearing into the brush,
	moving surprisingly quickly for animals their size.

The team members run to Sarah, help her to her feet, and pull
	her back, against a massive tree trunk. But the tree trunk
	lifts right up off the ground.

It’s no tree, it’s a DINOSAUR’S LEG, a massive one, six feet
	across, God knows how many feet high.

The Group gasps and looks up as a MAMENCHIASAURUS, an
	enormous sauropod over a hundred feet from nose to tail,
	lumbers away from them. It stops and HONKS furtively, its
	long neck stretched out above them.

Now a second mamenchiasaur neck cranes out of the surrounding
	forest trees and wraps around the first. The first
	mamenchiasaur THUNDERS around in a semi-circle, getting into
	position behind the second.

Nick swings his video camera straight up as the group finds
	itself in the middle of a mamenchiasaur mating. The mighty
	tails swing and SNAP around them as the two animals come
	together. Trees start snapping and falling, CRASHING to the
	jungle floor.

The noise and chaos is deafening, drowning out the LAUGHTER
	and SCREAMS of the fascinated and terrified group. There is a
	momentary lull and the group dashes out from underneath the
	animals, disappearing into the thick forest.

29	A SHORT DISTANCE AWAY,

the Group collapses to the ground, breathless, chests heaving
	with wild, frightened laughter. Sarah dives to top of
	Malcolm, grabs his head, and kisses him again, exhilarated.

SARAH 
		Isn’t it great!?

Malcolm pulls out her satellite phone, and shows it to her
	angrily.

MALCOLM
		When it RINGS -- you ANSWER it!

CUT TO:

30	EXT. JUNGLE TRAIL - DAY

NICK and EDDIE march quickly back toward their base camp,
	their energy and excitement palpable. MALCOLM is furious,
	however, and is in an argument with SARAH.

MALCOLM
		When Hammond called you, why didn't
		you say something to me?!

I don't know if that was ever shot as scripted. For one thing, that start of scene 30 you see there was moved forward to come in between the first encounter and Sarah going up to the baby stegosaurus (the rest of scene 30 is Sarah berating Nick for lighting a cigarette and the ensuing conversation between Malcolm and Sarah, which is in the film in the same place it was in this script). There's more things in this version of the script that were possibly changed before shooting (like how Burke has a much larger role in this and some of the dialogue from the deleted board room scene was moved to Ludlow's pitch to the investors). I have seen no evidence of the Mamenchiasaurus scene ever being shot or even developed. It looks like quite a complicated scene that almost tells the same things as the stegosaurus scene, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was cut before filming.

But that bit with Sarah getting back to the group and calling out "isn't this great?" has been featured in behind the scenes footage and stills and was even in the original trailer. 

Stegorunlg.jpg

I've always been curious about the deleted scenes from TLW; it feels like there were lots of them! That one in particular, as it's one of the few we have footage/photographic evidence of.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:26 AM, Mr. Breathmask said:

3. To the Island **
3M1 To the Island

This track features the first of two renditions of the Lost World theme

Three, actually:  In addition to its big "Isla Sorna Bookend" appearances in "To The Island" and "Heading North", it also appears in "Tranquilizer Dart" starting at 1:00ish.  Well, 4 cues including the end credits of course.

Right you are.

Still, the version in Tranquilizer Dart is much more subdued. This and the Heading North rendition are the only versions of the track that feature the same setting as the concert version.

Agreed!

Side note: This is a freaking brilliant score eh?

I love it more and more every day.

6. Fire at Camp
4M1 Fire at Camp

A very brief cue underscores the fire and the discovery of Kelly. It was paired wirh the next cue on the La-La Land set, but in the film there's several minutes of silence in between. This cue is used in its entirety.

The next two cues overlap, so tomorrow, we get to look at a whole bunch of unused music. Including... The Hunt!

Curious to hear how deftly you segued Corporate Choppers into The Hunt; I tried a bunch of times and could never get it to sound perfect.

7 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Well, don't stop watching after that. There's better stuff than The Hunt!

It's the first truly substantial bit of unused music!  We're excited!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Curious to hear how deftly you segued Corporate Choppers into The Hunt; I tried a bunch of times and could never get it to sound perfect.

The roaring engines help a lot. ;)

It's good. The adventure theme statement in The Trek lines up perfectly with Malcolm pissing off Ludlow. Not quite done on videos that far off yet, though.

But we'll get to it soon.:)

I restored The Trek to picture back in 1998/9 (whenever the DVD came out) just by playing the CD and the DVD at the same time.  The cue works brilliantly to picture!!

8 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The roaring engines help a lot. ;)

For your videos, sure, but for your personal edit of the score, do you have them merged nicely?

Im looking forward to 'The Hunt' cue as I've always tried to sync my playback with the scene. Its quite good.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

For your videos, sure, but for your personal edit of the score, do you have them merged nicely?

Nope. I don't have a personal edit. The La-La Land release is perfect as it is. :)

I'm looking forward to "The Wrecked Ship" which wasn't even mentioned yet. But well, it is one of the least interesting cues of the score, which raises the question why it was included on the OST unlike, for example, "In the Trailer".

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

It was paired wirh the next cue on the La-La Land set, but in the film there's several minutes of silence in between.

The only thing that bothers me with the new set.

I think i prefer the unedited version Marc. As the hunt was written i dont really hear music that is composed with sync points, aside from the opening mix. I think that maybe the only shot that could be changed is nick puting the camera earlier on (it seems the good guys see the cars pursuing the herd... while we were shown earlier that the cars are already catched up the herd)

In your edited version, the pachycephalosaurus scenes dont make sense, as the one captured by the truck is the one that attacks burke previously. (Roland says "Snagger, Friar tuck's on the loose")

Maybe the lack of mickey mousing is what put spielberg off and didnt like it so he tracked in the music....

I just noticed that rolands dialogue about elvis...meant that the parasaurolophus was really going to be a corythosaurus (seen in JPIII)