Will we see a new box set for 40 years of Star Wars?

Jwfan2234

I'd have thought something like this would have been announced at the 40th anniversary panel at Celebration.

If it isn't announced May 4th it won't happen. 

Maybe in 2019 for both Episode 9 and Indy 5 we'll have tons of Lucasfilm releases.  That'd be awesome.

There's already been 3 John Williams releases this year, and we're only 4 months into the year.  There will be a lot more in the remaining 8 months.  Keep saving!

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's already been 3 John Williams releases this year, and we're only 4 months into the year.  There will be a lot more in the remaining 8 months.  Keep saving!

Are you counting Stanley & Iris and Pete n' Tillie as two separate releases?  That's a stretch.  And those are just "nice to have."  I listened to the CD a couple of times and haven't gone back.

Collaboration Part III of course I love and have listened to over and over.  Very happy with that one.

But yeah, those are two releases.  Not three.

Ha, I actually forgot about Spielberg/Williams III somehow, so there's been FOUR releases in the first four months!!

-Stanley & Iris BD w/ isolated score track

-Stanley & Iris Varese Deluxe Edition w/ Pete N Tillie

-Spielberg/Williams III

-How To Steal A Million BD w/ isolated score track

I actually wouldn't be surprised if 8 Williams scores come out in the next 8 months... in fact one of them is already announced (Tom Sawyer BD with isolated score track)

Oh you're counting the blu-rays of movies I couldn't care less about.  Wake me up when there's an exciting announcement.

I love the idea of Twilight Time, and specializing in obscure forgotten films is admirable I guess.  But it's not exciting and they're overpriced for the quality of most of the films they release (which are mediocre-to-bad in most cases).  They're like the Criterion of mediocrity.

I made no comment on the quality or desirability of any of the releases.  Simply stated the fact that four have been released so far this year.  Both BDs feature music that cannot be found on CD.

I would never consider a Blu-ray as a Williams release, personally - isolated score or not. 

I didn't consider the Superman DVD as a score release, nor do I count the Family Man DVD as a release of Elfman's score (which I'm still waiting on, youse guys)

Just now, mstrox said:

I would never consider a Blu-ray as a Williams release, personally - isolated score or not. 

I would love to have more official isolated scores on blurays in general, but especially for Williams.  It'd be nice if we got that treatment for top-tier Williams scores instead of obscure curiosities.... 

Yea, with Spielberg being such a huge fan of Williams' work, it is a shame he hasn't decided to make an isolated score a feature of all his home video releases

And I love watching them on the ones that do, officially (Alien series, Contact, Edward Scissorhands) and unofficially (Star Wars Despecialized).  It's such a great feature.

Dear Mickey Mouse,

Create a boxset of whatever you want... but if you mix JW's albums with the ones of another composer, you'll lost me forever.

Thanks, 

-Bespin

1 hour ago, Jay said:

-Stanley & Iris BD w/ isolated score track

-Stanley & Iris Varese Deluxe Edition w/ Pete N Tillie

-Spielberg/Williams III

-How To Steal A Million BD w/ isolated score track

Two of those don't count, Jason.

52 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Dear Mickey Mouse,

Create a boxset of whatever you want... but if you mix JW's albums with the ones of another composer, you'll lost me forever.

Thanks, 

-Bespin

It's Star Wars, so could in all likelihood include some music from Alfred Newman!

I just saw a picture on FB, a collection of LP covers from 9 SW soundtracks.... and IT BROKE MY HEART.

Already on Spotify, the official Star Wars profile has published playlists... very strange playlists reuniting... well... apples and oranges....

I have a bad feeling about this.

I'd be just happy if the remastered Original Trilogy OST albums were released on cd. That would be so cool.  Frankly, on the other hand with the bulk of Sony classical box sets well flooded in the market; it would not be a good idea for Disney to exploit the market with yet another set just yet. 

I also wouldn't count on a complete Episode IX release until several years after that film has been released. Otherwise, the OST becomes obsolete far too quickly. That puppy needs some shelflife to bring in the $$$!

If they did one release per year of each score starting with Star Wars in 2019, they'd get to Episode 9 by 2027, which seems like a good enough time