Omen II

Has Lockhart conducted the BBC orchestra before?  With this and conducting at Hollywood in Vienna last year, he's really gettin' around.  Guess he's got a good agent! :P 

I just hope they don't waste too much of the program on Harry Potter and Jurassic Park. The first is still quite trendy even if I'm not much of a fan, and the second sounds remarkably shit with its tempo sped up. 

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Has Lockhart conducted the BBC orchestra before?  With this and conducting at Hollywood in Vienna last year, he's really gettin' around.  Guess he's got a good agent! :P 

Lockhart is the principal conductor of the BBC Concert Orchestra for a few years now.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Lockhart is the principal conductor of the BBC Concert Orchestra for a few years now.

HA!  If you take a close look at my avatar you might catch a glimpse of some egg in the facial region.

Well then, that's my 20th July evening taken up!

Keith Lockhart – a long-time colleague of Williams at the Boston Pops Orchestra – conducts the BBC Concert Orchestra in an evening featuring excerpts from the composer's best-loved scores, as well as some lesser-known gems.

:cheer:

It is actually a really big deal for a whole concert to be devoted to John Williams in the BBC Proms season.  While there are usually one or two concerts in each season of interest to film music fans, they usually feature a compilation of works by numerous different composers and often include the same filmic warhorses such as William Walton's Henry V and Richard Rodney Bennett's Murder on the Orient Express.  It is also notable that this concert is in one of the main evening slots early in the season rather than shoved away in one of the late night slots or on the August bank holiday weekend.

I am sure that this concert will be very popular but the fact that it is on a Thursday will improve the chances of getting a ticket for anyone who wants to go.  Tickets for the concert will go on sale at 9 a.m. on Saturday 13th May.  If anyone has never been to the Proms before and is thinking of going to this, as a seasoned Prommer I am happy to give any advice or answer any questions fellow JW fans might have on how to give yourself the best chance of getting a ticket.  Remember that there are up to 1,350 standing tickets for the arena and gallery available to buy on the day if you queue up early enough.

This is probably pure fantasy on my part, but I wonder if there is any chance at all that John Williams might decide to put in an appearance?

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

These air on BBC One, right?  Are they live?  Do they air soon after?

I recently, ahem, gained the ability to watch iPlayer on my Apple TV so that prospect is pretty exciting!

Yes @Disco Stu, I forgot to say.  The concert will be broadcast but on BBC Four the following day (21st July).  See here.

Aren't they also broadcast live on BBC Radio 3?

Also, I just heard on the BBC News that there'll be a prom for people with physical and other impairments. Didn't realise that normal concerts aren't meant to amuse me. Can I still listen to the JW prom then? This is diversity gone crazy. Oh hang on, I'm forgetting the musicians who are all black or ethnic minorities. When I hear a musician, my first concern is obviously their skin colour... Do people really need to be told that ethnic minorities can play an instrument?

I'm intrigued by one of the links at the bottom of the ticket page for a 'Jaws in Concert'. But will eagerly await the chance to book tickets for the Prom. Always aimed to go to the Proms but never gotten the chance or had the time/money etc.

8 hours ago, Omen II said:

This is probably pure fantasy on my part, but I wonder if there is any chance at all that John Williams might decide to put in an appearance?

If he does then he's in even better shape than I thought.

• 4 weeks later...

:cheer:

We're going to Sea World!

I was in the online queue since 9 a.m. this morning and have been able to get two tickets for the John Williams prom!  An update at 10.15 on the live Royal Albert Hall blog stated that none of the concerts had yet sold out, but the John Williams one was getting close.

Remember that if you tried to get tickets today but were unsuccessful, returns almost always become available in the weeks before the concert (especially in the week before), so keep an eye out on the Royal Albert Hall website.  Otherwise there is always the option to queue up on the day for standing tickets in the arena or the gallery.

Apparently the most popular prom in people's Proms planners this year was "by quite some distance" the John Williams prom.

• 1 month later...

Although there is no news yet on which pieces will be played in the John Williams BBC Prom concert on 20th July, in typical BBC Proms fashion they have started to drip feed us with some tantalising information on the soloists who will perform in the concert.

First up is Azerbaijani cellist Jamal Aliyev, so maybe we can expect Memoirs of a Geisha or Heartwood?

jamal-aliyev1.jpg

Also on the bill is Belgian clarinettist Annelien Van Wauwe [:wub:], so The Terminal would seem to be a shoo-in.

annelienvanwauwe.jpg

Finally Cumbrian saxophonist and BBC Young Musician Jess Gillam will be playing, probably Catch Me If You Can but I would love to hear Fitzwilly's Date.

Jess-Gillam-1.jpg

Shit just got real.  I am so looking forward to this!

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Jayzus, she did serious damage to that car!

She's Cumbrian and that Lexus has a Scottish number plate; you do the math!

😸

14 hours ago, Omen II said:

Jess-Gillam-1.jpg

Geez, man, what's Osgood doing there?!

28 minutes ago, RPurton said:

The Scots don't even like the Scots, but don't you dare piss off the Scots!

Two very good friends of mine, are Scots. I love the Scots, and I'd dearly love to live in Scotland, again.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I hope the cello means Seven Years in Tibet.

I hadn't thought of that, but that would indeed be an excellent choice.  There are no clues on Jamal Aliyev's website, but Jess Gillam's website seems to confirm that she will be playing one of the movements of Escapades from Catch Me If You Can, while Annalien Van Wauwe's website confirms that she will be playing Viktor's Tale from The Terminal.

13 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I seem to recall a BBC Concert Orchestra concert where they played just the Closing In movement.

Yes Miguel, saxophonist Amy Dickson played that in the John Williams concert at the Watford Colosseum in January this year.  It was broadcast on the radio a few weeks later as an episode of Friday Night Is Music Night.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of circle tickets available for this concert - get in quick if you want either of them!

http://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/proms/proms-2017/prom-8-lights-camera-music-the-magic-of-john-williams/

I expect more to become available over the next couple of weeks, but there is no guarantee.

59 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found the programme for this prom:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08y02bl

Excellent!  This seems to confirm that it will be the third movement (Joy Ride) from Catch Me If You Can and that Jamal Aliyev will be playing Sayuri's Theme from the concert suite of Memoirs of a Geisha.  The Haringey Vox children's choir will presumably be singing in Amistad.

Will anyone from JWFan be promming in the arena or gallery on the day?  Get there early if so!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I just found the programme for this prom:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08y02bl

A solid programme!

Can't wait to catch this on the telly next week.

The fact is that Williams has simply written too much good music to be adequately covered in a single concert programme. Had he only written for film between, say, 1975 and 1980, then we would never be having this problem to begin with.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Geez, it's JW's greatest hits, a yawn of a programme with neither integrity, nor imagination. I know I'm gonna get shot for this, but...I shan't bother.

I've pulled out of a night out on Friday especially to watch this. Hadn't realised the dates clashed till the other day, but JW won.

I've been to loads of concerts devoted to John Williams's music in the UK, but even so there are at least five selections in the programme that I have never heard live in concert before.  When this thing hits YouTube (as it inevitably will) later in the week, we will be all over it like a cheap suit before it is removed!

Incidentally, a very limited number of standing tickets will be available to buy online at the Royal Albert Hall website from 9 a.m. on the day of the concert if anyone is feeling lucky.