Omen II

I've heard it live myself but I just don't understand why anyone remembers anything about the Terminal let alone want to perform the music live.

How come we can never get Buckbeak's Flight or Cadillac of the Skies or something?

Because sheets for Buckbek's Flight isn't available to the public? What could you possibly have against this programme? They were never going to perform things like My Friend, the Bracchiosaurus...

26 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Because sheets for Buckbek's Flight isn't available to the public? What could you possibly have against this programme? They were never going to perform things like My Friend, the Bracchiosaurus...

Overall I don't have any major issues with the programme. 

Just the inclusion of the Terminal. 

Yes, THE TERMINAL is lovely, but I'd like to hear AN ARCHITECT'S DREAM, or EPILOGUE from THE FURY, or THE MENU. 

Of course, I understand that the RAH needs to sell tickets, and it will sell more by having JW's Greatest Hits, than it will by programming obscure 70s stuff. There the rub. I'm glad, though, that people want to go to London, to hear JW music.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I've pulled out of a night out on Friday especially to watch this. Hadn't realised the dates clashed till the other day, but JW won.

Er...Lee...it's on Thursday.

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Er...Lee...it's on Thursday.

The concert is on Thursday but the TV broadcast is on Friday.  There's even been a trailer for it on BBC TV, which is nice to see.

BBC Radio 3 will of course broadcast the concert live on the Thursday.

FYI the live broadcast will be available worldwide on the BBC Radio website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_three

Or here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/taster/projects/radio-3-concert-sound2

Listen to BBC Radio 3 and the BBC Proms live in the highest audio quality the BBC has ever broadcast. It sounds so good it’ll feel like you’re actually at the Royal Albert Hall. Only Desktop Mozilla Firefox supports the functionality required to run this prototype.

Also, according to the BBC website "the programme will be available shortly after broadcast."

That's funny, I've been listening with Internet Explorer for years without any problem and it sounds good enough for me. I'm especially grateful that they don't have this annoying volume correction thing whenever music beocmes louder. That always happens on Classic FM.

The brass was a bit off.

31 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

What's wrong with the Schindler's List story?

Nothing, per se, but it's just another clever-clever Radio3 tidbit. The Matthew Sweet stuff in the interval, was masturbation.

JFK was good, as was DANCE OF THE WITCHES. CANTINA BAND was a treat. 

ESCAPADES was like listening to a child play all over you favourite music. 

I agree that the interval was rather snobbish, but hey, it's Radio 3, only peasants listen to Classic FM after all... Not sure what you disliked about Joyride, though. Really loved the overall sound of the orchestra too, so much better than stupid edited recordings.

As a concert-going experience, I found this Prom to be largely underwhelming. The stand out moment of the concert was the performance of Escapades from Catch Me If You Can. However, the strings were under-powered, barely audible at times, in all pieces compared to the winds and brass. I suspect that this was due in no small part to the Royal Albert Hall's hangar-like acoustics, and because the BBCCO string section is smaller than a full-size symphony orchestra's. It'll be interesting to listen back to the Radio 3 broadcast and tomorrow night's TV broadcast to hear how the BBC's engineers redressed the balance (perhaps even fading out the premature applause in Hedwig's Theme!).

Ahh that's right, thanks.  I was checking the BBC4 website last night and was confused why I couldn't find it.  I'll skip the Radio 3 recording and just watch tonight.

47 minutes ago, Quintus said:

The acoustics in the Albert Hall are fantastic, I heard the LotR Symphony there.

I find the sound quality generally improves the higher you up in the RAH (closer to the "mushrooms"). Unfortunately the gallery tickets sold out quickly last night and I ended up on the ground floor. The LotR live-to-projection concerts given by the LPO/London Voices were exceptional.

I've now listened to the R3 broadcast, and the mix is far better balanced than what I heard live at the concert.

I think the best places for acoustics in the Royal Albert Hall are in the stalls, but not directly facing the stage.  If you imagine the hall as a clock face with the stage at 12 o'clock, I like to sit between 2 and 4 o'clock or between 8 and 10 o'clock in the stalls (the raked seating on the lower level encircling the arena).  It is true that the strings can be swallowed up sometimes if you are directly facing the stage.

The three young soloists were all brilliant and it was great to see such a range of people of all ages enjoying the music.  During Jaws an inflatable rubber shark was being passed around the upper circle - I was hoping someone would have the guts to throw it down into the sea of Prommers, but no doubt that would have been frowned upon. 🦈

It was completely sold out.  Any empty seats would have been for no shows on the evening and were few and far between.  I took a few photos but cannot post yet because of Photofuckit.

Encores were Cantina Band and Harry's Wondrous World.

12 minutes ago, Omen II said:

It was completely sold out.  Any empty seats would have been for no shows on the evening and were few and far between.  I took a few photos but cannot post yet because of Photofuckit.

Encores were Cantina Band and Harry's Wondrous World.

Awesome.