Omen II

@Richard A few highlights:

- I'm an entertainer, not a film composer.

- Pirates of the Caribbean are rock and roll scores.

- For Angels and Demons, I wiped my slate completely clean.

- I'm not interested in what the focus groups think about my scores, only big audiences matter.

- My suites are like diaries, they're not supposed to be perfect pieces of music.

- In the third act of every score, I always try to come up with something completely different.

The second episode of BBC Radio 3's Proms Podcast includes interviews with conductor Keith Lockhart (recorded just prior to the concert) and saxophonist Jess Gillam (recorded just after the concert).  It's all very light-hearted so don't expect any great philosophical discussion on John Williams's music, but it is worth a listen.

BBC Radio 3 Proms Podcast

Jess reveals that the entire saxophone part is written out despite its improvisatory nature and that she had already been learning the piece before being asked to perform it at the Proms.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

@Richard A few highlights:

- I'm an entertainer, not a film composer.

- Pirates of the Caribbean are rock and roll scores.

- For Angels and Demons, I wiped my slate completely clean.

- I'm not interested in what the focus groups think about my scores, only big audiences matter.

- My suites are like diaries, they're not supposed to be perfect pieces of music.

- In the third act of every score, I always try to come up with something completely different.

Yeah, I don't see what's wrong with any of these statements.

If his suites aren't meant to be perfect, why perform them in concert? If he's an entertainer, why didn't people at his concert in Antwerp feel entertained? If he wipes his slate clean, why does everything sound the same? etc.

19 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

If his suites aren't meant to be perfect, why perform them in concert? 

Is he referring to the suites being performed, or the suites he composes during production?  If the former, what would you have him say, that they are, in fact, perfect?  You'd complain about that, then.  If Williams were the one saying that his suites aren't meant to be anything spectacular, folks would be fainting over the fabulous humility he shows.

If he's an entertainer, why didn't people at his concert in Antwerp feel entertained?

Did you poll every soul at the concert to determine this?

If he wipes his slate clean, why does everything sound the same? etc.

Thinking Zimmer scores all sound the same is equivalent to thinking all Williams scores sound the same.  Similar sounds and gestures recur, but if you listen closely, there's little "sameness" beyond a present musical voice.

In his masterclass, Zimmer clearly states that all his suites aren't meant to make for nice listening, that they just describe a thought process. That was blatantly obvious when he performed them all in concert, 50% of them just didn't work. I don't care why Williams writes his concert arrangements, but they clearly work in concert.

I heard enough people compalining after the concert, yes.

I heard many entertained, satisfied people at the shows I have gone to.  Don't recall encountering any negative reactions actually.  That people enjoy these shows, and it's evident that they do, seems good enough reason for him to come out and present material, whether or not every attendee will feel the structures justify it.

I can't wait for John Williams/Keith Lockhart's tour around the world where they replace trumpets with electric guitars, trombones with horns, violins with guitars and everything else I haven't mentioned with electronic garbage, plus loads of added percussion of course.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I can't wait for John Williams/Keith Lockhart's tour around the world where they replace trumpets with electric guitars, trombones with horns, violins with guitars and everything else I haven't mentioned with electronic garbage, plus loads of added percussion of course.

I'm sure you're trying to make some kind of point, but it just comes across as silly.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That would be as silly as orchestra only arrangements of Zimmer's music.

The orchestra only Pirates of the Caribbean they did at Hollywood in Vienna a couple of years ago was surprisingly good. It was basically a new composition, but a really good one.

Wow, wonderful concert. I watched the first half this morning and had tears in the eyes two or three times. The lights, the colors... wow! This is the magic of John Wiliams!

That's maybe not a perfect concert to release as a DVD, as it features some young solists (I loved the young cellist who performed Sayuri's theme btw), but it 's very enjoyable to see.

And Raiders march is a better intro for that program, than the Superman's march.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a DVD release. Have any proms been released in the past? As far as I know, the only 'follow-up' they do is making all the concerts available on the iPlayer for one month after the last one or something.

I really like how Lockhart's voice cracks when he first says 'thank you' at the end. Wonder if that was because of emotion or because he was just out of breath.

52 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I really like how Lockhart's voice cracks when he first says 'thank you' at the end. Wonder if that was because of emotion or because he was just out of breath.

Oh thank you very much to have spoiled the ending!

58 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I wouldn't hold my breath for a DVD release. Have any proms been released in the past? As far as I know, the only 'follow-up' they do is making all the concerts available on the iPlayer for one month after the last one or something.

It is not unprecedented for the most popular Proms to find their way to DVD.  Several of the last night concerts are available to buy, as well as a couple of the John Wilson Orchestra proms, the Daniel Barenboim Beethoven symphony cycle from a few years ago, etc.  I would have thought that the John Williams prom is a better candidate for a DVD release than most given its popularity; as well as the tickets being the most sought after for any concert in this Proms season, I understand that the concert was very well received by TV audiences too.

3 hours ago, Omen II said:

It is not unprecedented for the most popular Proms to find their way to DVD.  Several of the last night concerts are available to buy, as well as a couple of the John Wilson Orchestra proms, the Daniel Barenboim Beethoven symphony cycle from a few years ago, etc.  I would have thought that the John Williams prom is a better candidate for a DVD release than most given its popularity; as well as the tickets being the most sought after for any concert in this Proms season, I understand that the concert was very well received by TV audiences too.

These kinds of concerts rarely get released and I think it's usually because the rights are just way too expensive.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The John Williams Prom will be shown again on BBC Four this Thursday 21st December.  It should then be available again on the iPlayer if you can access it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ympvh

I took a few photos during the original concert but I don't think I ever shared them here.

DSC02277.JPG

DSC02282.JPG

DSC02276.JPG

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Is it customary to repeat these proms?

The more popular BBC Proms concerts are often broadcast again around Christmas time.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Its a shame that they cancelled the planned performance of the Main Title from THE TOWERING INFERNO.

I strongly suspect that they quietly dropped it from the programme due to the Grenfell Tower disaster in June, although the reason was never announced as far as I know.

On 22/12/2017 at 9:38 AM, bollemanneke said:

Great prom, although the Mr Chips piece shouldn't have been in there and the Imperial March should have.

It's on Radio 3 again, tonight, at 19:40 GMT. I'll take that action, but without the fatuous Katie Derham, thank you very much.

• 4 weeks later...

I sitll don't know how I feel about that one. I love the fact that she dared to be creative, but on the other hand, it was too creative...

I do know I'm still hoping for a commercial release of this prom, though.

• 2 years later...

The John Williams prom from 2017 will be broadcast again this evening on BBC Four at 10 p.m. (about an hour from now).  It can also be viewed if you have access to BBC iPlayer.

A reminder that Keith Lockhart conducted the BBC Concert Orchestra.