The most orchestrally complex tracks that Williams has ever written?

TheUlyssesian

For his film-music and not concert. While watching a film, you aren't really just listening to music so for Williams to still go ahead and attempt extremely complicated music is remarkable.

List individual tracks.

The Pursuit of the Falcon - Tintin (very vast tempo and various virtuoso figurines flowing up and down the track and complex interplay of melodies. And movie-wise, every minute occurrence on the screen is reflected in Williams music.)

Hedwig's Theme - Harry Potter 1 (a simple enough melody enlivened by the orchestra going into a maelstrom of activity around it)

Harry Wondrous's World (an elaborately orchestrated and busy suite with multiple lines of melodies going on many times and many orchestra accents adorning it)

But that's just what it sounds to me ear. People with more musical knowledge would know more.

Snowy's Theme.

I find this little theme extremely creative, original, complex, and catchy.

The whole theme seems to mimick the dog excitedly wagging his tail.... lol 

The Quidditch Match

8 minutes of pure orchestral hyperactivity. Probably my favourite ever JW action cue.

The Whomping Willow and the Snowball Fight

The first 15 seconds is some of the most precise music JW has ever written (in my opinion)

To the Plaza Presto

So much going on in this cue, similar to The Pursuit of the Falcon.

The Ultimate War

Another action cue. All the themes from Hook pop up somewhere.

11 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Quidditch Match

8 minutes of pure orchestral hyperactivity. Probably my favourite ever JW action cue.

The Whomping Willow and the Snowball Fight

The first 15 seconds is some of the most precise music JW has ever written (in my opinion)

To the Plaza Presto

So much going on in this cue, similar to The Pursuit of the Falcon.

The Ultimate War

Another action cue. All the themes from Hook pop up somewhere.

I almost mentioned Whomping Willow and the Snowball Fight too but for the second part - the Snowball Fight which on the surface is this charming underscore but is actually a really fast tempo display with the orchestra pulling many hijinks going from section to section. Only Williams could score something so minor with something so complex.

Depends what you mean with 'complex'. Are you talking the densest amount of notes or 'stuff' happening at once (sorry for my amateur musical lingo), or complex as in dissonant/atonal/less accesible?

19 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Hook- The Arrival of Tink and the Flight to Neverland

Yes excellent. Imo this one can certainly be considered one of the most complex in terms of orchestration.

23 hours ago, Thor said:

Depends what you mean with 'complex'. Are you talking the densest amount of notes or 'stuff' happening at once (sorry for my amateur musical lingo), or complex as in dissonant/atonal/less accesible?

Considering the title, I think the OP asks about the complexity of the orchestration. To me that seems to be about which instrument plays what and when, and how many instruments play at the same time etc, the colouring of the music.

We can add this as well: Mine cart chase from ToD. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/30/2017 at 1:32 PM, Muad'Dib said:

You're younger than me? Huh. I always thought you were older, like Cremers or so.

He was joking.

The Chase Through Coruscant

Indy's First Adventure

The Forest Battle

Escape From Naboo

Jango's Escape

T-Rex Rescue & Finale

The Mine Cart Chase

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

It still is, but back then its complexity was more obvious. 

That's why I said at least. 

Wouldn't complexity be more obvious today since the majority of film scores are simplistic?

• 10 months later...