Silvestri's "Forrest Gump" is largely a copy of Goldsmith's "Rudy"

Many parts of "Forrest Gump" from 1994 are similar to "Rudy" from 1993 (tune, instrumentation, atmosphere,...), some parts ring exactly like "Rudy". I've never heart such obvious and striking similarities between two different composers.

Just compare "The Crimson Gump" to "Take Us Out".

Your comment?

I always heard more a Kamen's Robin Hood influence on that particular track, particuarly considering that score was still a big thing when Forrest came out.

55 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Triumphant brass fanfares in 3/4 time.  I mean, it's not like Jerry invented them.

That's not the only similarities.

When I first listened to Rudy, which was just a few weeks ago, I really thought of Forrest Gump and the movie's pictures occured in my head. (Haven't seen Rudy.)

6 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I actually prefer Silvestri's score for Forrest Gump over Rudy.

Same here. Although RUDY is a strong score, FORREST GUMP will always have a special place in my heart. Top 5 Silvestri for me.

I've seen Forrest Gump a bunch of times but I honestly can't recall a second of the score. 

Its the same with Guardians of the Galaxy*. I think in films where the pop music dominates they tend to be memorable (due to familiarity) than the score for me.

*Yeah, I doubt the scores are actually comparable. I still refuse to believe GotG has a score at all tbh. 

*runs to spotify*

That's quite good alright. I don't know if I'd have recognised it as Forest Gump without being told but I'm saving that album for later!

38 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I've seen Forrest Gump a bunch of times but I honestly can't recall a second of the score. 

That's pretty amazing right there. I consider it one of the most memorable scores of all time (parodied countless times in popular culture).

On ‎4‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Its the same with Guardians of the Galaxy*. I think in films where the pop music dominates they tend to be memorable (due to familiarity) than the score for me.

*Yeah, I doubt the scores are actually comparable. I still refuse to believe GotG has a score at all tbh. 

The theme is easy to remember, the score I'd agree it gets lost in the background and the pop songs take over.

On Wednesday, May 03, 2017 at 2:00 AM, Brundlefly said:

That's not the only similarities.

When I first listened to Rudy, which was just a few weeks ago, I really thought of Forrest Gump and the movie's pictures occured in my head. (Haven't seen Rudy.)

I always considered Forrest Gump an outstanding Silvestri score but listening to Rudy makes me rethink about that. I mean that score was composed one year after Rudy. So I wouldn't say "largely", but "partly".

• 3 years later...
On 5/2/2017 at 11:55 PM, Brundlefly said:

Many parts of "Forrest Gump" from 1994 are similar to "Rudy" from 1993 (tune, instrumentation, atmosphere,...), some parts ring exactly like "Rudy". I've never heart such obvious and striking similarities between two different composers.

Just compare "The Crimson Gump" to "Take Us Out".

Your comment?

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the Rudy OST for the first time, especially those tracks. I enjoy the Forrest Gump OST more, though, and I find Rudy to be even more repetitive.

38 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, both are great scores -- perfectly rated. I've just never heard the similarity between them that some propose here.

Check out the two tracks Brundlefly mentioned, in addition to these two, especially the build-ups:

Goldsmith once had to rewrite Forrest Gump, which was the feather tune temptracked as the main title for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Rudy was temptracked over a lot of movies back in the mid-90's, so I guess it's  possible. The only similarity I hear is the Tryouts cue in The Crimson Gump.

On 11/18/2020 at 9:39 AM, Oomoog the Ecstatic said:

Both really overrated scores.

Absolutely. Taking a look at the Goldsmith discography makes me wonder why Rudy gets that much attention.

I've never seen the movie Rudy, but Forrest Gump is very overrated as well.

• 2 weeks later...