So Ridley Scott is developing an Alien: Covenant sequel already....

Jay

The vu has never been so déja: it’s a greatest-hits compilation of the other Alien films’ freaky moments. -The guardian

Doesn't feel like my kind of movie ...

It's not incestous. Ripley has sex with the queen alien, not their 'hybrid' spawn. It's just motherly love (in its twisted, burlesque Jeunet way).

As for a COVENANT sequel, that was already reported awhile back. He intends to make as many movies as it takes to connect the storyline to the first ALIEN. Perhaps he'll do that in the sequel already.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Why incestuous?

1 minute ago, Thor said:

It's not incestous. Ripley has sex with the queen alien, not their 'hybrid' spawn. It's just motherly love (in its twisted, burlesque Jeunet way).

It is, sort of. Ripley is kind of getting it on with her grandchild. 

I can't remember any such scenes in RESSURECTION, Richard. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the queen alien?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

According to who's standard?

It just looks creepy.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I can't remember any such scenes in RESSURECTION, Richard. Are you sure you're not confusing it with the queen alien?

No, I'm not, and I don't like the bit where she's surrounded by xenomorphs, either.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

No, I'm not, and I don't like the bit where she's surrounded by xenomorphs, either.

Ok. I'd be curious to know which scene you have in mind. There are scenes, like right after the birth, where she's fondling the face of the 'hybrid', but I've always seen that as motherly love of some sort. Nothing incestous, in my view. Which is why the 'hybrid's death scene is so overwhelming in its gruesomeness. Suddenly, you sympathize with the 'tragic' figure. Ripley sacrifices her spawn for the sake of humanity. Very religious and burlesque all at once.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

It's the scene of Ripley being taken down, among the writhing xenomorphs.

I see. That's the 'conception' part (or alternatively the part where she's carried away to the alien queen; the film is deliberately fussy on that to retain the mystery of the actual act, as well as letting Jeunet do his "thing"). It's before the hybrid is born.

Well, yeah. Didn't he say he was planning four more Alien movies after that one? One to close the trilogy started with Prometheus and continued with Covenant, and then another trilogy after that.

I remember reading an interview where he mentioned that.

42 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, yeah. Didn't he say he was planning four more Alien movies after that one? One to close the trilogy started with Prometheus and continued with Covenant, and then another trilogy after that.

I remember reading an interview where he mentioned that.

He did, but if I'm not mistaken, he then backtracked and said there would just be ONE movie after COVENANT to bridge the gap to ALIEN.

• 3 years later...

I don't know why they didn't just develop Alien 5 in tandem with Alien Covenant, even use the same sets if necessary. Was it just a vanity move from Scott that only his project should proceed?

He doomed both timelines in the process, because neither Alien 5 or Covenant 2/Prometheus 3 will happen now that Disney has ownership.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I don't know why they didn't just develop Alien 5 in tandem with Alien Covenant, even use the same sets if necessary. Was it just a vanity move from Scott that only his project should proceed?

He doomed both timelines in the process, because neither Alien 5 or Covenant 2/Prometheus 3 will happen now that Disney has ownership.

What does Disney plan on doing with the IP?

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Are you saying Blade Runner 2049 is set in the same universe?

BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN have always been part of the same universe, through the Tyrell & Weyland/Yutani connection and various other 'easter eggs'. And so, by proxy, is SOLDIER through its reference to "Tannhauser Gate". And obviously PREDATOR too. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN have always been part of the same universe ...

Only in some easter egg joke, Thor. 

Well, bits and bobs here and there. One can choose to ignore the links, and that's perfectly fine, but personally I'd like to credit them, and thus link the universes.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Alien 5 could've been the proper resuscitation this franchise wanted like The Force Awakens was for Star Wars.

Scott's Prometheus/Covenant bullshit is depressingly grim nonsense that riffs on the original films without being anything worthwhile! 

I think Alien 5 is a bad idea, born from pure nostalgia. Hill & Giler give me more confidence than Blomkamp, but meh. Ripley's character is done, been there done that. She had a meaningful end in Alien3, bringing her back wouldn't add anything new.

I'd much rather have Ridley's prequel trilogy completed.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

BLADE RUNNER and ALIEN have always been part of the same universe, through the Tyrell & Weyland/Yutani connection and various other 'easter eggs'. And so, by proxy, is SOLDIER through its reference to "Tannhauser Gate". And obviously PREDATOR too. 

What about OUTLAND? ;)

Prometheus was far from shite. Anyway, I doubt Blomkamp could deliver a good Alien film. District 9 was fun, but I'm not really impressed by what he's done since.