THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

@Disco Stu Heard McNeely and Broughton will be scoring alternating episodes. So they're both working on it.

Karol

God, McFarlane has great taste.  It's really a shame I don't enjoy his work, generally.  I'll be watching this show just to hear that music, though.

Got the chance to really listen to the theme a couple of times.  It's a really fun little piece.  A crowdpleaser.  Can't wait to hear more.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see Tom Paris from Voyager is a directing an episode in addition to Riker.  And Brannon Braga too (not surprising given his involvement with Cosmos).  This is apparently the actual Star Trek reboot on TV this Fall!

Just waiting for Orville to also hire Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway while they're at it, meanwhile Discovery will get like Junkie XL or some other hacks, with the opening theme by Katy Perry or whoever the kids listen to these days!

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Orville is getting all the good composers. Discovery just has Jeff Russo, whoever the f*ck he is. Star Trek is becoming generic post-2010 TV shit. It's not even on f*cking TV!

He did a pretty good job on Fargo TV series. Not sure if he's the right person for the job though. We'll hear.

Karol

It does seem like Discovery wants a 2010s prestige TV vibe, when Star Trek fans just want it to be Star Trek.  I'm sure this show will have all the fan servicey nods and references and great music, unfortunately it will also have McFarlane's humor.

14 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Orville is getting all the good composers. Discovery just has Jeff Russo, whoever the f*ck he is. Star Trek is becoming generic post-2010 TV shit. It's not even on f*cking TV!

Isn't Debney the king of generic? Or is that Silvestri?

I've never heard his work, but great for Fargo doesn't necessarily mean great for Star Trek. I'm not that familiar with Fargo either, but I'm sure the two shows are going to be infinitely different.

Also, according to John Debney's Facebook page, Orville also got Craig Huxley and his blaster beam.

3 hours ago, Muldoon said:

Isn't Debney the king of generic?

Maybe classical-generic, which is better than modern-generic, which I'm guessing Jeff Russo's style is.

56 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Maybe classical-generic, which is better than modern-generic

Why?

I expect this to be totally forced and unfunny like McFarlane's stuff typically is lately.  Even the title alone annoys me.  But the gal from Agents of SHIELD... she may convince me to tune in.

Still need to watch season 3 but his work on the first two was very strong. Always loved his main theme. 

His Legion is interesting too.

Karol

On 16/08/2017 at 7:30 PM, Muldoon said:

Isn't Debney the king of generic? Or is that Silvestri?

If Cutthroat Island and The Mummy Returns are generic, I'll gladly take more generic music like that! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

So the show is getting across the board terrible reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-orville

Of course the show has always looked terrible.  At least we'll probably/hopefully get a cool soundtrack release.  Anyway, the show premieres Sunday night.

I'm actually surprised that MacFarlane didn't get Patrick Stewart to have considering they clearly have a great working relationship. He even did narration in all of his live-action films. 

This show never especially interested me out of the music though.

Unfortunately I think it will be irrelevant who scores the show (we already know at least one composer so far) as it will ultimately be up to production what the score will sound like, which I'm sure will be in a more modern/synthy style like that of every TV show nowadays. I will be very surprised if Discovery ends up sounding good... and I will be very glad if it does. But that doesn't seem likely. Enterprise came out over a decade ago, and the score did nothing for me although many of my favorite TV composers were a part of it. It's all up to the producers how good it will/won't sound.

Just got done watching The Orville.

I don't get the hate. While far from perfect, I thought it was pretty decent. Based on the reviews, I was expecting it to be awful, but I was pleasantly surprised. They still have some kinks to work out, build up the characters, etc...but it was nice to see something like this on TV again. And it has an earnestness about it I like that you don't see a lot of today when everything is irony.  The first episode fun enough, even if it really isn't the comedy it's being sold as.    And it's probably more Star Trek than Discovery will be.

Speaking of which, frankly I'm stunned that CBS and Paramount have not already filed a lawsuit.  It's not a homage to Star Trek, or even a parody of Star Trek. It essentially is Star Trek in everything but name.

It will be interesting to see where they take it. Though I doubt it will get past one season. There's no way it's going to get the ratings to justify the budget.

I enjoyed the premiere episode.  The humor didn't get in the way too much (sort of on par with Galaxy Quest in which none of that humor made me laugh yet there was still good sci-fi adventure with some comedic elements) and only once or twice did I laugh but I thought the story was a reasonable set up with potentially likeable characters.   I remember the very first episode of Futurama, a show I adore, and thought it wasn't funny at all.  But I came to realize the show would balance a trifecta of humor, characters, and story.  Some episodes focused on different aspects of this trifecta and I think the same could be the case with Orville.  I didn't like how mean spirited Seth was towards his ex but by the end they resolved that complaint of mine satisfactorily.   I thought the music and special effects were very good for TV.  This is enjoyable enough to watch a few more episodes but I don't know if I need two star trek type shows at once. 

On 9/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, Nick1066 said:

Though I doubt it will get past one season. There's no way it's going to get the ratings to justify the budget.

Don't be so sure!

Seth MacFarlane’s ‘The Orville’ Lands Broadcast’s Top Drama Premiere Since ‘This Is Us’

Of course it could still sink in the ratings by episode 4 or 5.

We watched the first episode.  I didn't really liked it.

I thought it was a half-hour comedy and was surprised it was an hour-long show.  That didn't really do it any favors, many scenes dragged out way too long like they were filling time.

I was also expecting it to lean really heavy into absurdity and parody and satire, but it really didn't at all.  It was not even really a parody of Star Trek or an homage to Star Trek: It basically IS Star Trek, just with dirty language, dick and fart jokes.

I didn't laugh out loud once, maybe had a few minor chuckles, that's it.  No one in the cast impressed me.  I don't remember the original score.  Special effects were somewhere between purposely bad and maybe were trying to be good but ended up bad?  I dunno.

Is the second episode any better?

That's the thing, I wouldn't even call the show a comedy after seeing it.  It's really just a drama where the characters wisecrack often.

The second episode seemed really good but unfortunately I recorded it during a football game so missed the second half.  It was compelling with reasonably good characters, great special effects and music but I missed the second half so can't comment on the story.  Grrr! :blush2:

The second episode was a noticeable step-up in several ways. Things weren't as hit-or-miss, it was more sure of itself tonally, they have changed the lighting on the bridge set so it looks more cinematic, etc. I was surprised a bit by how much I was enjoying it and how it was sometimes actually kinda... clever? The A-plot (starts out A, kinda turns B) with MacFarlane uses a concept that I am really surprised was never used in a live-action Trek show, probably because of budgetary reasons (which would explain why it was used in a TAS episode). It's insane how much it felt like TNG (like 2/3rds of a good S1 episode and 1/3 of an okay S3 episode). As I said before, I am shocked by how similar they have been able to make the aesthetics to Star Trek. Don't get me wrong, not a masterpiece, but this show, as others here have said, still isn't deserving of as low of a rating as it has on RT. 

The second episode is much, much better. The special effects for the first episode were primarily physical models (for the ships), however the second episode utilizes 3D models scanned from the physical miniatures which surprisingly looks a lot better (even though usually it's the other way around!). In terms of the "look", the color palette is significantly better, it appears to maybe have been shot with a different/better camera and the lighting is much better. The jokes don't really fall flat like they did in the first episode, and the episode actually takes a less comedic tone, which I enjoyed. There weren't really any slapstick jokes; the first episode was filled with them. It felt like more of a Star Trek episode than a sci-fi sitcom like the first one kind of did. I didn't have any problems with the score for the first episode or the second episode; in fact I loved them! It took me a while to memorize the theme... the "background" music was much more memorable to me personally (which is my main interest anyway!) I'm not a huge 'theme' person; the underscore is what I focus on primarily in a score. I did enjoy the first episode, but as I said, the second one is much better, and certainly more refined. I think, much like TNG, it will get much better down the road.

20 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The second episode is much, much better. The special effects for the first episode were primarily physical models (for the ships), however the second episode utilizes 3D models scanned from the physical miniatures which surprisingly looks a lot better (even though usually it's the other way around!). In terms of the "look", the color palette is significantly better, it appears to maybe have been shot with a different/better camera and the lighting is much better. The jokes don't really fall flat like they did in the first episode, and the episode actually takes a less comedic tone, which I enjoyed. There weren't really any slapstick jokes; the first episode was filled with them. It felt like more of a Star Trek episode than a sci-fi sitcom like the first one kind of did. I didn't have any problems with the score for the first episode or the second episode; in fact I loved them! It took me a while to memorize the theme... the "background" music was much more memorable to me personally (which is my main interest anyway!) I'm not a huge 'theme' person; the underscore is what I focus on primarily in a score. I did enjoy the first episode, but as I said, the second one is much better, and certainly more refined. I think, much like TNG, it will get much better down the road.

I agree.  This show isn't bad at all.  Second episode was really good, had depth, interesting and likable characters, great music, minimal humor.   I loved the self doubt of whatshername and how the others rallied.

Third episode is pretty good too. It has some pretty funny moments in the very beginning, all of which worked for me... the rest of the episode is quite serious, and a little depressing at times. It certainly felt like more of a Star Trek episode this time, which I enjoyed. I definitely see this show getting better and better as time goes on.