THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was randomly listening to the OST about an hour ago and decided to watch a scene on my DVD of Season 1. I realized while going through my files that I don't have a DVD of Season 2, and it dawned on me that a Season 2 DVD hasn't even been released yet. I looked it up on Google to see if there was any news about it, and it turns out that the Season 2 DVD is releasing in exactly one week from today. I had no idea. If I hadn't randomly been listening to the music today, which I haven't in quite a while, I would have completely missed this release. I'm surprised I haven't heard about it anywhere yet.

It's so lame that Fox and Disney no longer release their television products on blu ray

An HD stream of this has more detail than your DVDs, despite being compressed for streaming

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2019 at 8:58 AM, Jay said:

It's so lame that Fox and Disney no longer release their television products on blu ray

It's been this way for years

Clone Wars and Rebels were both released properly on Blu-ray, but with Disney+ I'm not so confident if the final CW season or Mando will get that treatment. It bothers me a lot that The Orville didn't get a Blu-ray release, but more so the fact that this doesn't bode well going forward and what this might mean for bonus material (which I'm a sucker for).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I finally talked my wife into watching The Orville with me (on Hulu). We are three episodes in. It’s not hilarious, it’s not super awesome, but, you know, it’s really likable. I feel I already know and enjoy the characters. I love the format of the show being an earnest throwback, with just the right amount of winking knowingness MacFarlane-style to say to the audience, “We know it’s a little silly, but we like it. Don’t you like it?” Especially since everyone says they work out the kinks in the equation and take it to interesting places, I’m excited to go on this adventure.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:40 AM, Pellaeon said:

I finally talked my wife into watching The Orville with me (on Hulu). We are three episodes in. It’s not hilarious, it’s not super awesome, but, you know, it’s really likable. I feel I already know and enjoy the characters. I love the format of the show being an earnest throwback, with just the right amount of winking knowingness MacFarlane-style to say to the audience, “We know it’s a little silly, but we like it. Don’t you like it?” Especially since everyone says they work out the kinks in the equation and take it to interesting places, I’m excited to go on this adventure.

It gets funnier in some episodes over the course of season 1 (I can think of one or two absolutely hilarious moments off the top of my head), but not in a straight comedy way -- it's essentially Star Trek but with a little more humor.

As for the super awesome...that comes in season 2 but I don't want to say any more.

Yavar

I think it was all a trick by Seth to get Fox to sign on the show. He pitched it as a "sci-fi comedy" and planned to slowly transition it into more of a Star Trek-esque drama. At least that's how it comes across. And it worked out brilliantly.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think it was all a trick by Seth to get Fox to sign on the show. He pitched it as a "sci-fi comedy" and planned to slowly transition it into more of a Star Trek-esque drama. At least that's how it comes across. And it worked out brilliantly.

Oh, definitely. If he'd pitched himself to be the straight man captain on a direct Next Generation homage, there's no way he would have gotten the greenlight. But a Seth MacFarlane comedy vehicle? Much easier to sell the Hollywood suits on. Brilliantly done on his part, and we only had to endure one or two relatively dumb early episodes.

Yavar

Are they not done shooting? From what I can find out, they have been filming since October. There are 11 episodes in the season. They’re shooting on an 8-day schedule, or at least they were for Season 1. I figure worst case scenario they at most have 2 episodes left to shoot.

Anyway, more time for the composers, right?

• 2 weeks later...

So different episodes will get different lengths now?

Interesting.

Does that happen often? My feeling says most streaming services still have episodes that are either 45 or 60 ish minutes or so.

But then... I never did actually bother to check, so I might be all wrong.

And they're re-recording the main title music? Why?

Would they change it up a bit? Would the main title sequence be changed altogether now that they're on another 'network'?

"Identity, Part 2" would be one of the SMALLER episodes this year?

Wow!

I like that they care about storytelling, but character-based storytelling.

With a good sense of fun and adventure, while still having something to say.

Definitely looking forward to this one making its return. :D

23 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

So different episodes will get different lengths now?

Interesting.

Does that happen often?

Literally every single show made directly for streaming services has varying lengths from episode to episode, same with shows made directly for pay cable channels like HBO or Showtime

Structured episode lengths are literally only a thing for shows intended to be aired with commercials and forced into a 30 or 60 minute block

• 1 month later...

Finished Orville S1. Liked it.

Up to Ep. 4 of S2. Not enjoying it as much. The show now strikes me as TOO character-driven. I still appreciate that the characters are likable and the episodes self-contained, believe me, I do. I just think the wonder of space is missing.

18 minutes ago, Pellaeon said:

Finished Orville S1. Liked it.

Up to Ep. 4 of S2. Not enjoying it as much. The show now strikes me as TOO character-driven. I still appreciate that the characters are likable and the episodes self-contained, believe me, I do. I just think the wonder of space is missing.

Just wait until you get to the mid-season two-parter, as well as the finale (also a two-parter, although the episode titles don't suggest that).

18 hours ago, woj said:

I used to really like the show, but they haven't released a good episode in over a year. It's a real damn shame. 

I see what you did there. :lick:

• 2 months later...