THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Jay said:

The pilot episode aired 3 years ago yesterday

In 3 years time, we've only gotten 2 seasons of show....

Can't wait for season 3 to finally drop 

According to Seth MacFarlane, season 3 is not even done. They had to shut down production because of Covid. Who knows when they’ll finish. 

• 3 weeks later...

Seth MacFarlane Gives Update on Delayed Hulu Debut

Szohr indicated that at the time the pandemic shut down production, “We were, like, pushing through the middle of the season, scripts were banging out, gas pedal down, and then it was like, ‘Halt!'”

“For a show with a lot of prosthetic makeup that requires close contact, a lot of background artists… it’s a big job, and you want to make sure you do it in a way that keeps everyone safe and secure,” McFarlane explained. “Once we have those protocols figured out, we will start up again and you will get more Orville.”

“a lot of prosthetic makeup that requires close contact”

Sounds like they just need to do a TOS-style season in which (under one SF pretext or another) they don’t have so much rubber foreheads.

"We're working on it. We are working very hard."

I’m torn on this. On the one hand I love that it’s a labor of love with apparently no execs giving them deadlines. On the other hand, give me a break. You’re working hard? So’s everyone else in the world. Where’s the passion? Where’s your belief in your product?

• 2 weeks later...

Well they're going to finish making the third season they were in the middle of when it started.  If there's a season 4 or not will all depend on how Hulu likes the ratings it gets, I suppose

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the only thing I don't get about it though is, how come extensive makeup was a major problem with this where it was apparently a challenge which could be worked around with other shows/media? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I can't wait for another season. Hope it's not the last.

...maybe I should finally watch Star Trek.

If you really love The Orville, you should at least try Star Trek: The Next Generation (maybe start with season 2 or only watch a handful of highest-rated episodes from season 1). The Orville is basically a love letter to The Next Generation.

Yavar

I'm too much of a completionist to start on season 2. I do like old stuff so I was thinking of checking it out from the very beginning and just go through all of it once and for all. 

2 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

I'm too much of a completionist to start on season 2. I do like old stuff so I was thinking of checking it out from the very beginning and just go through all of it once and for all. 

I highly encourage this.  The early seasons may be more hit-and-miss but it's ultimately rewarding to spend that time with the characters and to track how the writers' conception of the series evolved with time.  Just know it's worth it to stick it out!

Also... just for the record..... Pulaski > Crusher

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also... just for the record..... Pulaski > Crusher

100% agreed, and dumping Pulaski after season 2 was a huge mistake on the part of the show. Nothing interesting happened with Crusher in the following five years... and the sooner her son Wesley could be out of the show too, the better.

Yavar

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder why the bridge is different?

hkYGNVw.jpeg

And I wonder if Hulu will display this as the third season of The Orville and "New Horizons" is like a marketing thing (possibly also shown in a new main title sequence), or if Hulu will call this The Orville: New Horizons Season 1?

• 4 months later...

HOLY SCHAMOLY

I didn't look at the length of the video and just read your post, so thought it would only be the new title sequence; I was quite happy to see a lengthy clip from the episode!  What an intense looking scene, and the music under it was good, too!

And then..... wow.... that new title sequence!  Both visuals and music was Carl Version | *Italian Chef Kiss* | Know Your Meme

Huge bummer that it's now not starting until June 2nd, when they had previously announced it was coming back on March 10th :( 

The Orville: New Horizons will now arrive on June 2. As a token of appreciation from all of us aboard #TheOrville, here’s a sneak peek at New Horizons.  

Oh, Seth tweeted about the delay: https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1489645841828646913

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Fanboy tears are flowing. 

It's so beautiful.

That new title sequence with the newly scored theme. My lord. 

Well that looks super. And some great JW style action writing too. I still wish Star Trek was like this… 

Well if you like 90s Trek then it’s basically that. They just need to get over the first few episodes where the goofy humour is a bit laboured but it’s great once the humour is more incidental to the dramatic. 

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Woah, who wrote that main title theme - Debney? It's pretty awesome.

Bruce Broughton wrote the version used in the first two seasons but not sure if he rewrote this version or someone else. 

9 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

He did! I broke the news on The Goldsmith Odyssey when I interviewed Broughton back in November 2019:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2083614-odyssey-interviews-bruce-broughton

Yavar

Ah cool, thanks for confirming. I really must listen to the podcast, I'm just not really a podcast kinda person (I'm too busy listening to the actual music!).

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Ah cool, thanks for confirming. I really must listen to the podcast, I'm just not really a podcast kinda person (I'm too busy listening to the actual music!).

Give it a shot and let me know what you think! We play a lot of music too!

Yavar