THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

He did! I broke the news on The Goldsmith Odyssey when I interviewed Broughton back in November 2019:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2083614-odyssey-interviews-bruce-broughton

Yavar

Nice. I'll give it a listen. Great to know who did the new variation. Wasn't expecting it to be Broughton. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

I hope LLL will continue to release its music even though it apparently doesn't sell very well. Those scores are such treasure

Seems quite likely they’ll get a digital release but maybe not on cd. 

Disney owns 20th Century Studios now so will put out digital OSTs on Hollywood Records like other 20th Century Studios titles

It's unlikely a physical CD edition will come out, either by Hollywood Records themselves, or LLL.  Maybe Intrada could pull it off due to their Disney connection

Ok I know this has probably been answered multiple times in this thread, but how many eps do I need to give this show til it clicks? I watched the first ep a couple of years ago and didn't love it, but I've heard some great things since then. I'm going through a Trek-naissance and need something to watch when I'm all caught up with Lower Decks and this is next on the list.

You could honestly start with season 2 and if that jives with you more than go back to season 1. IMO I think season 2 overall is a more solid execution of what I think it is they're trying to go for with the show. The first couple episodes of season 1 almost seem like they were forced to be somewhat comedic and then the show quickly mellows out tonally. It feels like MacFarlane pitched the show as a comedy so that it could get made when in reality he just wanted to make something in the spirit of TNG so the first couple episodes almost act as an appeasement.

24 minutes ago, Docteur Qui said:

Ok I know this has probably been answered multiple times in this thread, but how many eps do I need to give this show til it clicks? I watched the first ep a couple of years ago and didn't love it, but I've heard some great things since then. I'm going through a Trek-naissance and need something to watch when I'm all caught up with Lower Decks and this is next on the list.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great!  The story lines are quite good and score/sfx are fantastic!  Interestingly, the show has already surpassed Battlestar Galactica (1978 series) which had 24 episodes total (first 3 were the 3-hour premiere movie) and 12 episodes as part of the ill-conceived Galactica 1980, yet that show garnered a cult following and was popular with fans to be reborn decades later.  I hope season 3 of orville dives deeper into the characters and stories it established.  Like you, Jay, I way prefer Alara to Keyali.  

37 minutes ago, karelm said:

Like you, Jay, I way prefer Alara to Keyali.  

It's not even close

• 2 weeks later...

What an incredible first episode. Heavy subjects explored, like loss, grief, suicide, the ethics of questionable beliefs. Such fun as well, with just sensational music. 

There was a cue clearly modeled after The Adventures of Mutt.

We watched half of it on Thursday and a bit more on Friday. Still have not finished. I'm afraid it keeps putting me to sleep. Nothing but overwrought character drama and WAY overwrought CGI showing-off so far.

I *finally* got the chance to watch it... damn!! Firing on all cylinders indeed! Production value is way up, thanks to that sweet, sweet Disney money. :lol:

The story, the visuals, the music...

carl-chef-kiss.gif

On 04/06/2022 at 3:13 AM, Pellaeon said:

There was a cue clearly modeled after The Adventures of Mutt.

When the new vehicle was doing the test? I thought the same thing. 

On 26/05/2022 at 4:30 AM, leeallen01 said:

I seriously hope they release season 3 and its score on dvd and cd. They better not just have it exclusive to the bloody streaming service crap like so much else. 

That's a sci-fi feature film style score!  The instrumentation is massive for TV with winds in 3 (12 winds), 6 horns 3 trumpets 4 trombones, tuba, timpani, 3 percussionists, harp, piano, 26 violins, 10 viola, 8 cello, 6 double bass so 82 musicians total recorded at 20th Century Fox, Neuman Scoring Stage.  Those stats are on par with the scores of E.T., Jurassic Park, Star Wars (except that usually includes additional percussion and choir), but major blockbuster scores.  Just amazing how polished some streaming/tv shows have become.

The second episode was okay. I am not a big horror fan, but at least it was Sci-fi horror. I liked that it wasn't a character-driven episode, though of course there were character bits. But it was cool seeing so much of the main cast basically just doing their jobs. It was neat to see a bit of the old (the Krill—always a delight) and something new. Space exploration is always great. The score definitely stood out, especially something based on “The Cloud” from Star Trek TMP. The main drawbacks of this episode for me are that they are still flexing their budget so much as to be distracting, and the acting. I don’t know what it was about this episode, but most of the cast and especially Kelly and Claire were particularly stilted in their delivery in this episode. Also, there is still a distinct lack of humor. I hope that’s just due to the nature of this (and the previous) episode, and not the new overall direction.

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Oh I didn't realise the new episodes are on Disney+ in the UK. Might binge the whole thing. :)

Screenshot_20220609-212047.jpg

Karol

Only realised this today too having originally assumed I’d need to temporarily sign up to another streaming service to watch it. Can’t wait! 

The first 2 seasons aired on Fox UK ... that channel is now defunct, but I'd hoped that another 'normal' channel would sort out a deal to show Season 3 in the UK. Don't want to subscribe to bloody Disney+ to see it. 

Enjoyed the 2nd episode overall, but had a few bad issues with it like their lack of caution when entering an alien hive. No suits until after they learned of the danger. And how they saw the admiral morphing into a creature and didn't think to quarantine him in case of exposure of a deadly virus... and no security in sick bay... Also it was convenient that the admiral was the one infected, so he could shut the power off and lock everyone out with his top level codes. And where the hell did the entire crew go when the power went out? Haha they just disappeared. Only the main cast were left for some reason. And I guess this was another classic scifi show cliche when probably 50 crew are dead and they just forget about it and move on. No funeral or anything.

I did love the designs though. Nice creepy (the Fly) type creatures. I enjoyed the premise of a completely dark area of space that not even the Krill dare to go. Nice creepy ideas. Just the execution was not the best.