THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

On 12/06/2022 at 7:03 AM, Tom Guernsey said:

Does anyone know if Bruce Broughton did the new version or if it was by one of the series composers?

On 28/11/2021 at 9:44 AM, Jay said:

it did make me wonder what they might do for Season 3 - probably a whole new recording, since they are "rebranding" (?) as The Orville: New Horizons

On 28/11/2021 at 2:04 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Exactly this, as Bruce Broughton revealed when I interviewed him two (!!) years ago now:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/2083614-odyssey-interviews-bruce-broughton

In short: Longer intro — MacFarlane asked him to write and record a new version.

I'm finally started watching it today. I've been listening to the music for years but never got around to actually watch the show.

I'm 3 episodes in and I like the music even more. I think it's a strong show. It's not 'great' yet. But after reading a lot of amazimg things about the show in later seasons here I'm very excited to keep watching. It's great to finally have images with all the music.

3 hours ago, karelm said:

Totally agree!  The flaw of the show was from a marketing point of view, Seth MacFarlane is a comic strip creator, producer and writer of the Family Guy.  So they pushed it as a sort of sci-fi comedy.  Great sci-fi shows have great heart and sometimes use comedy to tell story.  Star Trek OST had lots of humor AND drama!  But he's so much more than that!  He's a professional musician (member in good standing of local 47, same union with John Williams) and was given an award for his contribution to the local scoring scene because his shows always feature large orchestras which is very rare these days especially for tv/streaming.  Just think about it...Orville just used a 95-piece feature film orchestra recorded at 20th Century Fox's Newman's stage.  That's what 200 million dollar films get not an episodic tv show in the age of synths and remote recordings!  He's also very brilliant in how he incorporates astrophysics, philosophy, pop culture, etc., in to his stories.  He's a modern day Rod Serling and Gene Roddenberry hiding complex morality tales behind sci-fi allegory.  He's passionate about the arts, sciences, etc.  I attended his concert of big band songs he commissioned with LA Local 47 and Joel McNealy and he kept on heaping praise on their talent and wishing to keep the arts of alive.  The crazy thing is I've seen him do the same about science.  He's awesome!  

I'll also add that Joel McNeeley is a wonderful composer and teacher.  I personal memory I'd like to share.  I had a session where he was the mentor.  I felt it went horribly.  I was so embarrassed and looked back at him to see him with a big smile enjoying the music and waxing philosophically about music and its transcending qualities.  It was deeply humbling that he had such a big smile on my music and how supportive and encouraging he was on what I considered to be a failure because of wrong notes or poor writing.  He gave me so much confidence.  I captured that moment in a picture so will look for it later.  

The cynic in me thinks that  McFarlane had to market The Orville that way to executives in order to get it picked up. Looking at the modern TV landscape at the time, there really was zero attempt to make the kind of thought-provoking and optimistic sci-fi adventure show that Star Trek used to be, however McFarlane has proven himself to make really successful comedy shows and sci-fi comedies in particular are all the rage these days thanks to the gigantic success of Rick and Morty

I'm just popping in to say that I haven't seen any further episodes beyond the season premiere, and it is not at all due to lack of interest!

It is purely because Obi-Wan, The Boys, Stranger Things, Barry, Hacks, South Park, Better Call Saul, and soon Westworld, Only Murders in the Building, and more Stranger Things are all airing new episodes now, recently, or soon, so something had to give, and The Orville ended up being it.

Soon I'll be caught up on more other shows, and happily resume!

1 hour ago, Laserschwert said:

It would be an utter shame if this season didn't see a soundtrack release.

Someone did ask him about a digital release and he said he's working on it.

I just hope there's a physical CD release and a DVD release for the series. Damm streaming services.

The Orville 3x02 Shadow Realms

I liked this a lot!  Sure, it will silly how they abandoned any logic to go exploring unknown space and enter an unknown space station with no suits on and all that, but who cares.  There was some nice character development with the reveal of Claire's ex-husband and how that affected her life choices, and his conversation with Isaac was pretty funny!  Once the show starting doing its Alien thing it was still pretty good, I liked the effects - both the suits for closeups and the CGI for when they were crawling around and jumping and attacking.  I really liked the badass Claire at the end who was willing to kill them all with a virus, and that it caused them to leave to be able to come back for some future episode :)  The bit about the ring was a nice touch too.  And it all led to a nice conversation with Claire and Isaac at the end!

I've watched episode 4 now and again it was a massive blast, CGI are top notch, McNeely score is perfect with not too much reference to other scores showing how great this composer is. The story was very surprising  with a very lovely twist around the end.

This show is such a blessing for me as I'm becoming totally disinterested by SW, it's like a great therapy to move on new horizon!!

Oh man that reminds me I forgot to even mention the score for episode 2!

John Debney scored it and did a great job - the episode riffs on Alien and the score follows suit with a bunch of Alien and Aliens nods, which were always fun.  There was good action music, good suspense music, and some nice music for Claire and Isaac too.  Just good all around!

Just hearing these great scores everytime there's a new episode is always rewarding enough, and then when the episode is great on top of it its even better

More tough moral decisions in this episode! I very much enjoyed seeing the contrast between 21st Century and 24th Century worldviews, and it was ingenious to tie in this episode to a previous one because it makes the events hit so much harder with all that previous development. I noticed that has been a trend for Season 3 and as someone that loves interconnectivity between stories and attention to detail with continuity, it has been greatly appreciated

Music was fantastic again as always, some really interesting sounding fanfares with a kind of brass sound I don't think I've heard before but enjoyed quite a bit

The Orville 3x04 Gently Falling Rain

Wow, this was quite the elaborate episode with a lot going on.  One problem for me was I that I had no clear memory of this Teleya character really, or what the Krill's whole deal was in general.  I saw the first 2 seasons years ago when they first aired, and all these details have long since left my brain!  I felt like I was kind of playing catch-up the whole time; I think this episode will play much better for me in a future whole-series re-watch.

This episode also also seemed like it didn't have as clear of a narrative as the the other episodes this season so far, jumping into new ideas pretty haphazardly.  First it's about the Krill forming an alliance with the Union.  Then it's about an election and how both sides are created deepfake footage of their opponents saying things they didn't say.  Then it's about a rigged election and successful coup attempt.  Then it's about a secret daughter Mercer and Teleya have.  Then it's about the Krill's thoughts on abortion.  Etc etc.  The abortion part especially felt really crammed into the story, just sort of came up out of nowhere and then wasn't touched again and had no impact on the rest of the episode.  Mercer's daughter could potentially lead to some interesting character development for Mercer, and is also set up as a reason Teleya might be willing to work with the Union in the future after all, but in both cases I feel like these won't be brought up again until next year sometime.  We'll see!

Apart from the story, there was tons of good action in this episode.  The space battle was really cool, so was the shuttle escape, and the street attack.  The score was good once again, by Joel McNeely this time.  I feel like I'm just going to say that every week this season!

The Orville 3x05 A Tale of Two Topas

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: 

That was a fantastic hour of television!

The C plot where Mercer is writing letters to Anaya in hopes that he can give them to her one day was seriously unexpected and touching.

The B plot where they were discovering remnants of a civilization that went extinct tens of thousands of years ago was...also in this episode

The main story about Topa was incredibly well done - excellent story with good twists and turns, excellent acting (for the most part), interesting and thought-provoking, relevant and insightful.  This is The Orville at its finest!

Spoiler

All the scenes with Topa were good, especially the ones with Kelly.  Claire being willing to lose her job to help her was great!  Isaac being the one to do it was awesome, and the ramifications of that - the Moclans doubling down on their resolve to hate the Kaylons, and the super nice scene between Claire and Isaac at the very end was >chef's kiss<  Fantastic from front to back!

I was so involved in the episode, I don't remember anything specific about Andrew Cottee's score.  I did notice the one "action" scene in the episode - Topa's command simulation, was unscored, which was perfect spotting of course.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Orville 3x05 A Tale of Two Topas

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: 

I've gotten in the habit of waiting until a season completes before watching, but can't wait to watch this! One of my two favourite shows on right now.  

14 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I've gotten in the habit of waiting until a season completes before watching, but can't wait to watch this! One of my two favourite shows on right now.  

I've watched the first episode, but am waiting now. I actually want to watch the rest only when I know if and when a score release is coming

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Start watching now, the whole thing will be over in 3 weeks!  That's one episode every 2-3 days!

Do you know if Seth is doing a Season 4?

Why do you phrase it "Seth is doing"?  Do think think a different head writer and lead actor would take over?

If you're asking if Hulu has renewed it or not, no, they haven't yet - or if they have, it hasn't been announced publicly.

It was a great episode. Yeah, the thing about the pyramid seemed like a Chekhov’s gun that never went off, but it was nonetheless cool. All season I have been anticipating with dread a “Klyden” episode, but I liked it!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Why do you phrase it "Seth is doing"?  Do think think a different head writer and lead actor would take over?

Oh, no.  There's no Orville without Seth. That would be like making an Independence Day sequel without Will Smith.

Just curious if there was any word on it.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

If you're asking if Hulu has renewed it or not, no, they haven't yet - or if they have, it hasn't been announced publicly.

Speaking of…

Seth MacFarlane says entire cast is hoping for a season 4 of The Orville

I've watch episode 5 and it's another incredible episode. I loved all of it from the main plot and acting to the music it was great.

I really like the pace of the serie so far with completely different episode each week. I really hope they'll succeed to make a fourth season

Just wanted to pop in and say I've started watching because of all the positive buzz.  I'm up to S1E4, and enjoying it so far.  It's my understanding that the tone changes significantly though?  Anyways, I'm avoiding spoilers, so I won't linger long, but I'll be anxious to come back and share my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Just wanted to pop in and say I've started watching because of all the positive buzz.  I'm up to S1E4, and enjoying it so far.  It's my understanding that the tone changes significantly though?  Anyways, I'm avoiding spoilers, so I won't linger long, but I'll be anxious to come back and share my thoughts.

Yea the first 3 or so episodes of the show have a lot of dick & fart jokes, a lot of Family-Guy style humor.

As the show goes on, it essential morphs into a modern update of Star Trek TNG (though there are still jokes from time to time)

The Orville 3x06 Twice in A Lifetime

Wow.  This episode was super awesome - full of interesting moral quandaries, interesting new character development, and even a really damn cool space battle - for most of its run time.  Then it had what I thought was kind of a let-down of an ending.  What did other people think?

I loved the premise, the callbacks to the previous Leighton Meester and time travel episodes, and of course that space battle and the return of the Kaylons.  It was super fun being in 2025; I loved human Isaac (!), the comparison of the early 21st century to their time, and Gordon happy with a wife and kids.  Even Isaac and Charly trying to work out their issues wasn't too bad.  I love the moral conundrum Ed and Kelly slowly realize is happening, and was kinda surprised how firm they were on their initial stance that he must be taken out, and never waver from this, or even seem to ponder wavering, at all. 

I was delighting in the possibilities of how they were going to resolve this, with Gordon wanting to stay, or having his family go with him, and Ed & Kelly wanting him to leave... only for it to be fairly quickly wrapped up with "oh, we have enough stuff now to go get you in 2015".  Which was cool and interesting, but then at the end I didn't really feel like there was enough time spent on the now-erased family.  Gordon didn't seem to really ponder on it at all, just wanted to get drunk with his friends.  Hmmm.

8 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

But it’s more impactful that he just isn’t there emotionally.

Is it?