THE ORVILLE - Show Discussion

Man, 'Twice in a Lifetime' hit me hard. My favourite episode of The Orville is 'Lasting Impressions,' so damn this revisit to Laura was so beautiful. But I am extremely pissed off at Ed and Kelly's blatant hypocrisy and cold-hearted evil to do that to Gordon. They themselves by being there are doing unknown damage to the timeline. Just Charly and Isaac taking those guys' motorcycles could have caused WW3. They didn't know the consequences of anything, yet they judged Gordon's family as a crime. That is pure evil. Regardless of them going back to 2015 and erasing even their own interactions in 2025, they didn't know they were going to do that when they began interacting with the 2025 world. It's just horrendous hypocrisy and I utterly hate that decisions from not only the characters, but also the writers trying to present it as a moral choice. The real moral choice is how can we be so evil to erase humans from existence to protect a timeline that we ourselves have potentially destroyed just by being here. 

End of rant haha. 

Great episode though. Some very fun timeline stuff and character moments. Also an incredible performance from Scott Grimes. And the score was lovely, including Scott singing the song he sung with Laura and its repeat in its Orchestral way to close the episode. Beautiful.

No, you're right!  And that's the problem with all time travel stories, especially if you include a "preserving the timeline" aspect.... it ALWAYS has loopholes and dangling issues

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, you're right!  And that's the problem with all time travel stories, especially if you include a "preserving the timeline" aspect.... it ALWAYS has loopholes and dangling issues

That's why I love Stargate's time-travel theories; that it's always a loop and they were always going to go back in time and everything they do in the past was meant to be done. Specifically the episode '1969' does a great job of illustrating that.

My God that was a heavy episode. 

When Klyden returned, I got the feels. You can think you hate someone until there's a real risk of losing them. 

I've still only seen up to episode 6 due to sooooooo much other stuff being on TV right now

Here's a promo for episode 9

I just assumed they were back because 

Spoiler

they want it to be a yearly thing. They probably still love her even if she can't be on the show full time anymore. What was it again? She got a job on another show or something?

But I thought the same thing about it being a nice way to wrap things up. I know I put a whole thing in spoiler tags but are we talking about details of the episode openly? It's hard to talk about how much I liked it without those details. 

On 05/08/2022 at 9:49 AM, SilverTrumpet said:

What was it again? She got a job on another show or something?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigal_Son_(TV_series)

My wife watched it, the bits I caught let me know it was bad show.  She also didn't seem to really be in it that much

I have a theory that Season 1 was meant to be TOS-like, Season 2 TNG-like, and Season 3 DS9-like.

Season 1 was the most standalone and exploration-based.

Season 2, more character-driven; female security officer leaves the show; epic two-parter revealing the Borg…?

Season 3, even more character-driven and serialized, lots of politics/war involving known peoples, and almost no exploration.

34 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

So if we get a Season 4, will The Orville be thrown to the other side of the Galaxy and have to start a long journey home? ;) 

Yavar

I can actually see Seth doing that! I’d love it.

What a season!

Season 3 was so grand. The scope of it all was heightened to the maximum. 

What a wonderfully charming and lighthearted finale. As a kid I loved the big space battles in sci-fi shows, but now as I'm older, I love the quiet episodes a lot more; the ones that just take place on the ship with no crazy intergalactic conflict etc, just a quiet, cosy and funny look into the everyday lives of the characters. Those are my favourite kinds of episodes. And the finale was just that.

What a special show the Orville is. I cherish the passion and artistry that goes into it, and I hope to all hope for more seasons to be made. We all need optimism in our media, particularly our sci-fi.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Star Trek Discovery rolls on like a flaming pile of trash down a hill for its 23 season, meanwhile The Orville, some of the best sci-fi to be made in decades, is begging for its life to be renewed.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on a possible Season 4 for The Orville? –Ashton

At TCA this month, I made a beeline for Craig Erwich, President, ABC Entertainment, Hulu & Disney Branded Television Streaming Originals, to ask him that exact question. Alas…. “We don’t have anything to share right now,” Erwich told me. “It’s a great show and I know that the fans loved having it back in their lives. And Seth [MacFarlane] did a great job, uniquely as he can, in front of and behind the camera. But we don’t have anything to share right now.”

https://tvline.com/lists/fire-country-spoilers-bode-gabriela-episode-12/

• 1 month later...

It’s not super in depth. But it’s still a nice table book.   I got the graphic novel compilation today, and am very much looking forward to diving in for an Orville fix. 

• 4 months later...

At this point it's probably time to face the sad reality that this great show won't be getting a fourth season.  Big bummer.

I already am at the point where I know I'd enjoy a re-watch greatly

23 minutes ago, Andy said:

What makes you say that specifically?  The strike is sort of a wild card that put everything on pause. There’s always hope that could work to the Orville’s as advantage. 

And the entire cast just appeared at the Trek convention in Vegas.  It’s not like they’re all going their separate ways. 

Well obviously the cast wants it to be renewed, nobody would say otherwise to that

But Disney owns the property now and has been hemorrhaging money as of late.  Plus when any TV show that airs doesn't get its next season pickup within a few months, it's a really bad sign.  It's now been OVER A  YEAR since the last episode aired.  Chances of a renewal are incredibly tiny at this point.

It's much cheaper to make anew season of Futurama than a new season of The Orville, and Futurama has a much larger fanbase

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

To be honest, season 3 offered a pretty satisfying closure. I'm cool with it ending there.

Karol

I’m not sure what kind of emoji to put because you’re not wrong.  So many shows break what I call my “3 Season Rule” and outstay their welcome. Sometimes less is indeed more.  

But dang, that show could put a smile on my face and just make me feel good for an hour like nothing else out there.