18 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Poltergeist
    • Poltergeist II: The Other Side
  2. 2. Which movie do you prefer?

• Poltergeist
    • Poltergeist II: The Other Side

There it is! Another VS-poll!:P

For the movies there is an unequivocal winner - Tobe Hooper's masterpiece.

The scores are both great and couldn't be more different. The first one features a cold, heavy orchestra with hard brassy outbursts, whereas the second one is full of warm, eerie synths and glissandi. But the first one makes it, IMO.

• 2 years later...

It took me a lot of time, but I'm finally subjectively enjoying the first Poltergeist score and not just objectively appreciating it, which I always did.

Oddly enough, the atmospheric and synth-heavy second score became an instant personal favourite, when I bought it.

I'm more of a fan of Goldsmith's 'avant garde' writing than his romanticism writing so 'Poltergeist'82' was among the best of his 'avant garde' writing, second only to 'Alien.' I've listened to 'Poltergeist I' way more than 'Poltergeist II.'  The only highlight of P2 was the 'God is in his holy temple' choir-chanting cue.  I remember being very pissed when I bought the Intrada 12' LP disc and found that the cue was not on that record.

34 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

I'm more of a fan of Goldsmith's 'avant garde' writing than his romanticism writing so 'Poltergeist'82' was among the best of his 'avant garde' writing, second only to 'Alien.'

I instantly fell in love with Alien and it became my undefeatable favourite, when I bought it. So in my case  the avant garde writing of Poltergeist was not the issue. I think it was the rock hard and cold sound of the orchestra. The second score is the complete opposite: an soft and floating soundscape. I also think that Poltergeist 2 is one of the most ingenious symbiosises of synthetic and orchestral elements. The textures are great.

what , is this poll serious? Comparing Goldsmith ultimate masterpiece (the original Poltergeist) to one of his worst scores.

9 hours ago, King Mark said:

what , is this poll serious? Comparing Goldsmith ultimate masterpiece (the original Poltergeist) to one of his worst scores.

Whoa, where is that coming from?!

KM is this guy who only ever gets off when stuff sounds like big orchestral Williams of a certain time period. He's deaf beyond that. Some of Goldsmith's manipulations of the 'evil' hymn tune is actually quite bold, harmonically and so on.

The first film and score win but I rather like Jerry's music for the sequel. The opening track in particular is amazing. One of my favourite Goldsmith cues of all time in fact.

Karol