Netflix "The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance" Prequel Series!

scallenger

Wow! Did not see this one coming!

I remember for over a decade Jim Henson's Studios had tried to make a sequel film called "The Power Of The Dark Crystal" that I believe was meant to take place many years after the events of the film where the crystal gets shattered yet again, making the time of turmoil start all over again. I was never a big fan of the concept of the sequel though; it felt way too much like a quasi-remake (sort of like how many modern reboots are).

However, this is a prequel. Not only that, but a prequel series. If there is one thing any fan of the film can attest to, it's that the world the film explored seemed so vast and interesting that it definitely was more interesting than the story itself. There was so much more to explore of the world the film set up, so the perfect way to do that is to have a series (or even just a mini-series; not certain which this will be). Having it also as a prequel makes more sense, because it was that world that was set up before the events of the film took place that most fans want to see. The world after the conflict is over would just be something far less compelling and foreign, unless they took that lackluster approach of the sequel. So, even without knowing a thing about the premise of this, just knowing that it is a prequel series is enough to let the imagination soar with just how much we can finally further explore in the world that we all know and remember.

The other obvious highlight of the brief teaser trailer is the quick glimpses of the NEW ANIMATRONICS being made for the series! Despite the quick glimpses of incomplete creatures, they already looked perfect for the world! And then of course there's that final shot of footage of a Skeksi... wow. It looked perfect! Likely just a test shot, but even so, just to see one again, after all this time, as part of a new series...

Of course, the most obvious question now is... who will do the music score? Will they be able to get Trevor Jones back? I know he basically retired, but I think of all the projects to get him to come back, it would definitely be this one. And if not him, who else could do it? Should his old theme(s) still return, regardless?

UPDATE:

Hensen Press Release:

https://www.henson.com/press-releases/2017/press-release-2017-05-18.php

A beloved classic from the 80s marks its return as Netflix, the world’s leading internet entertainment network, will bring The Jim Henson Company’s The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance exclusively to members around the world. The 10-episode fantasy adventure series is a prequel to the groundbreaking 1982 fan favorite The Dark Crystal, and takes place many years before the events of the film. The series will be shot in the U.K., and will star an ensemble of fantastical, state-of-the-art creatures created by Jim Henson’s Creature Shop™ and Brian Froud, the original feature’s conceptual designer.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance returns to the world of Thra with an all new adventure. When three Gelfling discover the horrifying secret behind the Skeksis’ power, they set out on an epic journey to ignite the fires of rebellion and save their world.

Feature film director Louis Leterrier (Now You See Me, The Incredible Hulk) will executive produce the series and direct. The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will be a Netflix original series produced by The Jim Henson Company and executive produced by Letterier, Lisa Henson and Halle Stanford. Longtime Henson collaborator Rita Peruggi will serve as producer and Henson’s Blanca Lista will serve as a co-executive producer. Leading the writing are co-executive producers Jeffrey Addiss and Will Matthews (Life in a Year), and Javier Grillo-Marxuach (Lost, The 100).

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance will combine the art of puppetry perfected by The Jim Henson Company, with Louis’ vision, powerful storytelling and a mix of cutting-edge digital imagery and visual effects,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President of Original Content at Netflix. “I can’t wait for families around the world to see how we bring these unique characters to life.”

“Louis Leterrier is passionate about the world of The Dark Crystal and has an incredible creative vision for the series. He brings this passion to every facet of the production as he leads the talented team of artists and writers that are bringing this entire universe to life,” said Lisa Henson, CEO of The Jim Henson Company. "Netflix has a deep respect for my father's original work and the many people it inspired. They are the perfect partners to create this next epic chapter in The Dark Crystal story for new fans and the loyal fans who have waited so long for more adventures from this world."

Never saw The Dark Crystal, which is I guess a weird oversight for an American born in the 1980s who loves the Muppets.

But "Age of Resistance" is the dumbest most 2017 title.

• 1 year later...

So... bad news for film score fans... it appears Trevor Jones has not returned to do the score. :( I guess this isn't a huge surprise, since he hasn't done any new scores in ages, but I had hoped he was the one element they would have brought back to really tie this new series together. The composer they chose to replace him for this (apparent) 10 episode series is: Daniel Pemberton. His most recent scores of note were the upcoming Spiderman: Into The Spiderverse and last year's All The Money In The World. The only score I know of his is actually from a television program called "Prehistoric Park" for the BBC many years ago (one of those Walking With Dinosaurs-related programs starring Nigel Marvin). That score was fairly decent from what I remember since it's been ages ago that I have listened to it, but nothing noteworthy.

So, a bit disappointed, naturally. Not saying this guy can't deliver a good score, but I had really hoped for Jones. I do wonder if he will carry over any of his iconic themes? The music is such a grand component of The Dark Crystal and its world that it would be a huge shame not to. Time will tell.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1207404/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr10

14 minutes ago, scallenger said:

So, a bit disappointed, naturally. Not saying this guy can't deliver a good score, but I had really hoped for Jones. I do wonder if he will carry over any of his iconic themes? The music is such a grand component of The Dark Crystal and its world that it would be a huge shame not to. Time will tell.

I'm torn because I always want a composer to be able to do their own thing, but Jones' music really is a vital part of what made The Dark Crystal work for me.   I hope that he'll incorporate some of Jones but be able to make it his own.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 6:22 PM, Quintus said:

Bland modern soundtrack incoming no doubt.

Isn't this the same guy who tackled every style under the sun (including John Williams Indiana Jones) for the "The Movies" game?

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Isn't this the same guy who tackled every style under the sun (including John Williams Indiana Jones) for the "The Movies" game?

I agree with you - he did a great job with Spiderman spiderverse movie.  Thrilling orchestral music.  @Quintus, don't dismiss so quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazingly, I didn't see the original THE DARK CRYSTAL movie as a kid, even though I'm the right age and in the right target audience. But I saw it for the first time yesterday as a preparation for this new series, and was totally blown away. Fantastic! I love that kind of cinema that is more about world building than plot, Henson was doing experience-oriented cinema decades before Cameron and AVATAR (which is obviously also a favourite film of mine)!

On the other hand, I've never been a big fan of Jones' score. I had it on CD once. There's something about that theme that I just find....well, kinda "ugly". I know it's supposed to be haunting, to reflect the crystal itself, but the slight fluctuations up and down around the same tonal range give it a kind of 'static' nature that just grate on me. I have it the same way with Williams' crystal theme in INDY 4. Something about those particular notes, and sequence of notes, that irk me. And the theme is used a LOT in the film. But then there are some other good elements in it, like the medieval-like source music. 

Now, to the series. I saw the first episode today, and was again totally awestruck by the world building, now in a more kinetic landscape than the original movie. Very good stuff, and looking forward to seeing the rest. I thought the score was excellent too, much more rewarding -- to me -- than the Jones score. More pleasing melodic lines, wonderful orchestrations and 'magical' elements. Not too thrilled that the score has been spread out over 2 albums, but there should be an excellent listening experience hiding in there somewhere. I'll definitely get a promo of this and give it a whirl.

The jarring, almost off-putting interval-jumps of Jones’ theme is exactly what makes it so striking and alien-like. It nailed the essence of the film’s strangeness, and one of the things that really stuck with me as a kid. On some level, it actually kind of scared me.

I’ve only heard the one preview track that was shared here, and it sounded dull and serviceable. It doesn’t bring any of the strange images from that world to mind.

1 hour ago, KK said:

The jarring, almost off-putting interval-jumps of Jones’ theme is exactly what makes it so striking and alien-like. It nailed the essence of the film’s strangeness.

I don't disagree, but I think I'm almost biologically adverse to liking that kind of stuff. As if there is some link between certain brain waves and tone structures that cause discomfort (which is rather different from the kind of perverse pleasure I can often find in atonal or dissonant music). As I mentioned earlier, I have the exact same reaction to Williams' crystal theme in INDY 4. It's somewhat torturous.

Checked out the first episode. I liked it. Some ugly TV digital sheen aside (especially in the CGI), it's pretty impressive to look at.

But also, it's amazing how much fuller the Dark Crystal world feels with a more committed, seasoned acting ensemble and better characterization. And I like how they've handled the world-building and mythology so, despite the somewhat didactic prologue.

I do miss the Mystics though. Part of what made the original film kind of interesting was the idea that the Skeksis and the Mystics were two sides of the same coin, and together, flawed cosmic beings. Maybe they'll address that near the end.

But it appears the Skeksis are their own thing and just generally evil. I do like seeing them as the entitled, but venerated bourgeoisie and monarchs of the realm.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.

7 hours ago, KK said:

I do miss the Mystics though. Part of what made the original film kind of interesting was the idea that the Skeksis and the Mystics were two sides of the same coin, and together, flawed cosmic beings. Maybe they'll address that near the end.

Yeah my memory of what I thought the mythos of the original was: the cracking of the crystal is what created the skeksis and the mystics as two separate beings.  I didn't think there was a time when the crystal was whole *and* the skeksis existed as rulers over the gelflings.

But I'm along for the ride to see what origin story they're telling here.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah my memory of what I thought the mythos of the original was: the cracking of the crystal is what created the skeksis and the mystics as two separate beings.  I didn't think there was a time when the crystal was whole *and* the skeksis existed as rulers over the gelflings.

The show is taking place after the crystal cracked and it split the guardians into Skeksis and Mystics. The  missing "shard" that is at the center of the film is mentioned in episode 6.

I'm 6 episodes in and the Mystics have appeared a couple of times. I''m sure they'll appear more towards the end.

Not really. The first sentence is a clarification about the premise and time period of the show which seemed to cause some confusion. The second sentence a confirmation that the Mystics do indeed appear. Maybe a tiny-winsy spoiler, but hardly surprising. It would be more surprising if they didn't.

A bunch of people who have seen one episode are speculating together what could be going on, then someone who has seen 6 episodes comes in and tells them exactly what's going on, and thinks he's not spoiling them? Wtf? 

How is telling them when the series takes place a spoiler?

It's pretty well known that this is a prequel series to the film. And it takes place AFTER the separation of Skeksis and Mystics.

27 minutes ago, Thor said:

How is telling them when the series takes place a spoiler?

It's pretty well known that this is a prequel series to the film. And it takes place AFTER the separation of Skeksis and Mystics.

But didn't the prologue state that the Skeksis were an alien race that befriended Aughra or something?

And from my memory, the crystal became "corrupted" the moment it cracked...and I assumed the crystal was all well and good when they were left to the Skeksis. So something about the prologue didn't add up with all that. But I'm sure the series will address this in some form or another...

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Does the Gelfling Love Theme return?  

It's actually my favorite theme from the score despite being the most "normal".  And it reminds me of Window to the Past, which is always a positive.

Lovely theme, that gets recycled a few times by Jones in his later scores.

But to answer your question, no. All we hear is a 30 sec flash of the original theme with the title card.

1 hour ago, KK said:

And from my memory, the crystal became "corrupted" the moment it cracked...and I assumed the crystal was all well and good when they were left to the Skeksis.

No, it was the crack that caused the separation into Mystics and Skeksis, according to the film (I think). So the crack incident has already happened when we enter the story in the series. The Skeksis relationship to Augrah is something new that the series introduces (i.e. that she entrusted it to the Skeksis).

[Edit: All back story is explained in the show eventually, so all’s good]

Finished the show -- spectacularly good all around (be sure to catch the 'Making Of..." feature after the last episode!). Surprisingly dark for a show aimed at kids, albeit older kids. Also, there's still quite a bit of story to tell before the events of the film. I wonder if more seasons are forthcoming? Given the cost and work of the show, I kinda doubt it.

Loved the score in-context, but after having listened to it on album, I'm a bit torn. There's about 50% great stuff and 50% more generic stuff. Unfortunately, by choosing to include BOTH of these elements on the excessive 2CD set, Pemberton does all kinds of disservice to his music. Had he been more succinct in his presentation, it might have been one of the soundtrack highlights of the year. As it is, I'll just have to condense this into a 50-minute something playlist myself. Certainly not ideal, but I have no other choice if I want to keep this in my digital collection.

In either case, I rate the score higher than the Jones original -- sacriligeous as that may sound to most of you.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

As it is, I'll just have to condense this into a 50-minute something playlist myself.

YOU ARE NOT QUALIFIED. 

YOU ARE NOT AN ALBUM PRODUCER. 

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT AS-IS.