Most disappointing composer reassignment

Alex

I loved McCreay's work on BSG. I'm not sure if he'd have been a good fit for GOT.  Not saying he wouldn't have been, but I'm not sure I see it. 

I haven't seen Outlander. How does his work sound there?

I've only heard him in any substance through Outlander and TWD and I think he does fantastic job with both.

I'm confident he'd be doing a better job with GoT than Djawadi. Don't get me wrong - Djawadi did a good job with Prison Break, but that show didn't need as much of a prominent score, and could be entirely synth.

Junkie XL getting thrown in at the deep end on nothing more than his RCP credentials. Seriously , he's been given some very big opportunities and most of the time I think they're serviceable scores. Add some synth beats, some strings and endless drumming and you're set apparently...

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Junkie XL getting thrown in at the deep end on nothing more than his RCP credentials. Seriously , he's been given some very big opportunities and most of the time I think they're serviceable scores. Add some synth beats, some strings and endless drumming and you're set apparently...

Personally hoping he gets replaced on Tomb Raider.

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, he's already a replacement composer.

Did a replacement composer ever get replaced?

First time for everything! 

(Who did he replace on Tomb Raider?)

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

And Michael Kamen was supposed to be scoring the first Angelina Jolie film but left the project and scored Band of Brothers instead.

Karol

Well that is not disappointing at all.

Considering the brainless actioner like Lara Croft, I am more than happy Kamen chose a much more personal assignment like Band of Brothers. He was a composer who responded with brilliance to emotionally resonant subject matter and the miniseries seemed to be very much just that to him.

19 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Aw man, I didn't even know he was scoring Tomb Raider! 

Pretty disappointed when I heard it myself.

Film is really starting to look like a write off.

Having now watched a decent amount of Game Of Thrones, the show is almost silent. Are there any moments of prominent music that I'm just not hearing? It's mostly ambient underscore or tension stingers.

My hunch is that people crap on Djawadi because they like to and don't consider the fact that this is an HBO production that has complete control over how the music functions in the show. 

On 9/11/2017 at 11:53 AM, Jay said:

Romeo and Juliet: James Horner -> Abel Korzeniowski

While I still definitely want to hear James Horner's score for Romeo and Juliet (it was indeed recorded, right?), I absolutely LOVE Korzeniowski's take on it. It was one of my favorite scores the year it came out, and it is a really gorgeous listen to anyone who has never heard it. Definitely an underrated score.

I think Brian Tyler replacing Jerry Goldsmith on Timeline should be listed in this thread, too. Despite Goldsmith's score also getting a release, only Tyler's is in the (shitty) film. While I like Tyler's score a lot and respect his take on it, I honestly don't see why they dropped Goldsmith's score when it was equally dramatic and fitting. Originally they made it seem as if the film had been re-edited so the score had to be dropped, but this proved to be largely false. While the film was re-edited a lot (a few scenes from trailers do not make it in the film at all), people who have synced Goldsmith's score to the film notice that it largely matches perfectly. And given that it was clear Goldsmith was on his last years, and even with the same director of The Omen for which Goldsmith won his one-and-only Oscar (a crime), I think it was a huge mistake and even a little insulting to say the least. To me this IS Goldsmith's final fully-realized score, since didn't they need Debney to finish up Looney Tunes Back In Action? The lengthy final action track would have certainly elevated the film to a degree it never deserved, and it is one of his career highlights. I am just happy it got a release.

Re-editing isn't the reason Goldsmith's Timeline score wasn't used.

I just checked Torn Music again, and the reason is that Donner originally thought he wanted a score that focused less on action and more emotion, but when Goldsmith's score was done and they put it against the film, Donner realised he'd made a mistake and and did need the action approach. He asked Goldsmith he if would rewrite large parts and he indicated that he'd rather not, so Donner hired Tyler.

I think it's a roughly similar reason behind Shore's Kong rejection - Jackson sort of left him to it (the book mentions a lack of communication), then realised on the scoring stage that it was stylistically not what he was after.

I struggle to imagine that sort of thing happening now, with everyone providing synth demos.

Though the Timeline process probably wasn't helped by a bad screening and a panicked studio. Donner would have signed off the JG score without ado but after the movie became a potential misfire (what should have been a surefire hit, Crichton bestseller and all) Goldsmith was an easy target. It's not that tyler wrote a more action-y score per se.

Check above; it was originally stated that it was the case, however this later rang false, with more clarification done that the director/studio wanted something different.

I wish the videos that were once on YouTube of Goldsmith's score set to the film were still around. I remember watching them years ago and was shocked to learn that it fit the cut of the film after all. Hey, @Mr. Breathmask, would you like a new project? ;) There is actually a footwarmer of the entire score out there (well, as far as anyone could possibly tell), which would be amazing to see it all put back in.